Clamshell stay

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

Clamshell stay

Postby EEricson » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:41 pm

I'd like to hear from you-all about what sort of prop rods you're using to keep the rear clam open when it's parked for display or maintenance.

The Thunder Ranch comes with a steel rod and I'm not loving that. I believe some have installed gas struts but I'm not crazy about those either, as they tend to keep pushing all the time.

THIS: [ http://www.thespyderfactory.com/fall-lo ... rt-ratchet ] is supposedly what they're supposed to look like. That's a single-fold, double articulated hinge support stay and it looks similar enough to a lot of steamer trunk and/or drop-leaf table supports that I'm thinking there must be something on the market already that's damn close to close enough.

But I don't yet see such a thing.

Anyone have something already installed on their car? Anyone have a notion about where to buy or how to make for reasonable $$?
EEricson

Re: Clamshell stay

Postby egrant5329 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:20 am

This is a picture of what Carey is selling these days. You have to weld a bolt to the frame. I think DannyP may have put this on his new spyder, but Greg may have this or a version of it.

I like it. One more thing on my want list!
Ed
Attachments
clamprop3 (1).jpg
clamprop2 (1).jpg
clam prop (1).jpg
egrant5329
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby EEricson » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:39 pm

Nice. Looks the part. I'll check in with Carey.
EEricson

Postby DannyP » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:50 pm

Ed, Carey said they replicated the original part, but overbuilt it. The fiberglass clam is a little heavier than the original aluminum.

I got mine from Carey, and it works flawlessly. I mounted it higher than he does due to the different frame of my Vintage Spyder. I really like that part on my car, makes it easier to open/close.
2002 Vintage
DannyP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby EEricson » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:02 pm

I checked with Brad and they have them for sale. He quoted me $350 but then emailed back and said that was the installed price and knocked off $100. That seems like a fair price for what it is, but I'm insane, so I'm going to try to make my own in order to get it even closer to the original look.

Figure on me spending 8-10 hours (at least) trying to fab it, then buying the Beck part in the end anyway.
EEricson

Postby Mtflyr » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:02 pm

Hey Ed,

The SE/Beck part is really cool, didn't you see it at Carlisle? I liked it until I picked it up it's heavy, guess it has to be so I'll stick with the nifty thin steel pole with the hook on the end to slot into the left rear shock bolt area. :D

Pete
Mtflyr
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Return to Tech General