Grill gaskets

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

Grill gaskets

Postby EEricson » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:58 pm

What (if anything) are you guys using as a gasket between the grill and the clam? I just bought a pair of Stoddard 356 gaskets and they fit nice on the grills, but now the grills don't want to set down flush.

With no gaskets they're just the tiniest bit loose. I tried a bit of fender welting and that seemed way too thick. These rubber things seem like they'll work if I grind out the holes just ever so slightly all around, but, before I do it I figure I'd check here.

Any advice or experience welcomed.
EEricson
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Re: Grill gaskets

Postby Carlos G » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:19 am

Ed,
My grills don't fit down flush and there is some space in places between the grill and clam.
I always thought the grills were a bit cheesy. They bow in on the sides revealing more of that gap.
The gasket that's installed is somewhat of a joke IMO. It's just there to cover the gap. It can easily be removed just by pulling on it.
If I were building my car like you are, I'd fix the bowing, or remake the grills, and make the clam fit the Stoddard gaskets.
What does the profile of the Stoddard gasket look like?
The gasket profile on my car is shaped like a U. The round part is facing out and the open end is tucked under the bead on the grill.
I'll try and post some pictures later.
CG
Carlos G
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RBP » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:05 am

On my car the openings were re-worked and the grils and gaskets were prefit with an allowance for thickness of paint. They fit in really nice. If your interested I can send you a pic via e-mail with a better resolution so you can see what it looks like. I'd say they were more of an angled T shape or Y shape. The part/section of the gasket that fits between the body and grills was long/deep so the mounting screws/bolts passed through the gasket when assembling everything. Definatly weren't U shaped gaskets though.
Vintage, 2316 Type IV
RBP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby EEricson » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:34 am

Thanks to both of you. Yes, RBP, please send a pic if you get a minute. I will PM you my email.

Carlos: The Stoddard pieces are profiled a bit like an 8 with the bottom o flattened. They seem to want to fit over the outside edge of the grill flanges, and they do fit nice and tightly, but this leaves the bottom o part kind of pushing the grilles up off the deck.

The grills that came with my car seem pretty good. They're ever so slightly curved to follow the contours of the clam, and mostly straight except for one slightly wavy edge which seems to want to go to the outside of the driver's side, and which I may be able to straighten with a bit of thumb pressure.

My plan today is to ever-so-slightly bevel the openings in order to give room for those bottom os to snug down.
EEricson
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Return to Tech General