Larger gas tank?

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

Larger gas tank?

Postby CKissick » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:14 am

I found old threads on this subject from 2001 and 2007, so thought I should renew the subject with a new thread.

When my gauge reads empty I re-fill the gas tank with about 7 gallons. I'd like to double that number. Any larger capacity tanks out there that will easily fit?
CKissick

Re: Larger gas tank?

Postby DannyP » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:17 pm

No.
If you want to carry more fuel, you'll have to make a custom tank.

I get about 160 miles on a tank. And honestly, if I'm on a long trip, it's time to stretch and take a bathroom break at that mileage.
2016 Vintage
DannyP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby CKissick » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:02 pm

Good point about needing a break. But I can only go 120 miles before I need to fill up. 200 miles would be nice. I guess there's no easy solution.
CKissick

Postby DannyP » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:12 am

If you can go only 120 miles, is it around town, stop and go? If so, it sounds a tad too rich on the idles. Exhaust, plugs black and sooty? Unburnt gas smell while driving?

Mine used to be like that until I learned how to tune the Webers. Went from a .60 idle jet to .575, and leaned the accel pump adjustment. Mileage went from 18 up to mid-twenties. 30 plus on highway trips.
2016 Vintage
DannyP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby danstern » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:32 am

First make sure you're really draining the tank. Mine holds more than 7 gal. When the gas tank reads empty, put a stick (½ x 1" or anything that will fit) straight down the tank. If it comes up with more than an inch (or two at most) wet, you're not out of gas. I have a "calibrated" stick with 1 gal. markings. More accurate than the gauge. You can easily make one.
Dan
Quantum Mechanic, Black Holes refilled, Quarks repaired
Vintage #74, 2109cc
danstern
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby CKissick » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:06 am

I'm not draining the tank. I ran out recently with about 1/2" left. I read in another thread that this is common. I was heading to the gas station at the time, as the gauge was very low. I can use the gauge and mileage to know when to get gas. I'll check for the richness. The engine is a 2.3L putting out about 150 HP so the mileage is not going to be great.
CKissick

Postby albaran » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:53 am

The gas gauges on these cars can be finicky. It depends on how you have the float bent that goes into the tank. I make sure to never let the gauge go below 1/4 to be safe. Also, when you are filling them, there is a lot more room at the top of the tank after it clicks off.
albaran
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby egrant5329 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:19 pm

On the older spyders the tank sits at an angle and they left the out spigot in the original location on the VW tank, which is why there is some gas left in the tank but none getting to the engine. If I undersand correctly on more modern builds they have moved the spigot to the lowest end of the tank so basically you can run it dry. I have been tempted to make that change on my tank, but I had it relined a while back and didn't think about it.

I also recommend the centroid fuel tank sender. It can be ordered to what ever depth you want, i.e. measure down to the depth of the spigot when the tank is at an angle. No moving parts and they work great. http://www.centroidproducts.com
EdG
egrant5329
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Return to Tech General