Rear Coil overs

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

Rear Coil overs

Postby EricTheRed » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:09 pm

Hi All,
This may already exist but I could not find a complete thread on options for rear coilovers. I have a Vintage and I'm going to replace the coilovers because their day is done and I could just go get a pair from Greg because the Bilstein have been fine. But being someone that likes to explore other options I thought I would throw it out here. With that does anyone know the spring rate numbers on the stock Vintage setup, I think it's like 250-275?

Thanks!
EricTheRed

Re: Rear Coil overs

Postby EEricson » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:40 am

EEricson
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby DannyP » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:20 pm

Sheesh... I don't go on here every day people.

Greg uses 250 pound springs with his special Bilsteins as far as I can recall.

Lenny and I opted for 275 pound rate. The 275 pound springs are 10 inch length, and require a spring compressor to get the shocks assembled. The shocks should take a 9" spring, but 275 pound rate is or was not available in the shorter length when I bought mine.

The compression/rebound knob is about 8 clicks from full soft on the QA1 Proma Star shocks, which on my car are inverted(piston rod down to trailing arm).

Shocks and springs are from the same source. I ordered one shock equipped with rubber bushings, the other equipped with heim joints. Then swapped them so the upper frame mount has rubber bushings and the trailing arms get the heim since they rotate in two planes.

I also purchased the spring seat bearings and lockring tools so I could adjust the corner balance on the scales.

I bought these back in 2006 or 7, and have put about 40k on them. They still ride comfortably and firm, and can adjust either way easily. They were a great purchase.
2016 Vintage
DannyP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby EricTheRed » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:09 pm

Thanks for replying mine are almost done from the harder driving I have been doing plus just being pretty old and on the car before I got them. Been trying out a bunch of coiler options on my Exige like Nitron, JRZ, and Racetech. Want to be able to dial in the rears so a non adjustable feels like a bad move going forward for the tine and money invested.

Can you describe the difference you feel compared to the Bilstein's? Interested to know where the QA1's shine in your perspective compared.

Thanks,
Eric
EricTheRed

Postby EricTheRed » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:28 pm

Danny can you send me in the direction of a post with pictures of your setup, or drop a few here? I want to see how the heim joint connects and to understand more visually. Thanks man!
EricTheRed

Postby DannyP » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:25 am

Eric, I have no experience at all with Greg's Bilsteins. My car came with Aldan shocks which are basically a drag-race shock and not really meant for a road car. They really were not what I was after, the QA1s ride firmer and actually control the ride. The Aldans didn't control anything they were really bouncy.

At the time I purchased, the Bilsteins were pretty pricy, the QA1 saved me some cash as well as being adjustable.

Private message me your email and I'll send you a pic of the rear on mine.
2016 Vintage
DannyP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Return to Tech General