Engine shroud

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

Engine shroud

Postby smonop » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:22 am

I've posted multiple times that I'm not fond of my engine shroud (Fat performance type IV engine with a 911 fiberglass shroud)... since Bic has gone MIA re the shroud project (I'm going to e-mail him after this post), are there other choices that could be safely/properly installed that look more period correct?

Thanks!
smonop
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Re: Engine shroud

Postby RBP » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:35 am

I was also interested in the type IV replica fan from BIC. I thought someone would pick-up the tooling, molds and part info and carry on with the project. I thought the replica fan & shroud BIC was working on looked great.

I have a RABY DTM on my type IV now and it looks better than the stock setup but the BIC one would have been perfect.

Does anyone know BIC? Maybe he will sell everything related to one of us.
Vintage, 2316 Type IV
RBP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Larry Jowdy » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:53 am

Bic's last post on this site wasn't that long ago. It was on July 10, 2015 so he's still around.
Larry Jowdy
Site Administrator
Larry Jowdy
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

Postby albaran » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:45 am

I ran into Bic at a car show yesterday. He sold the Spyder but he's still working on the shroud.
albaran
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RBP » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:02 am

Guess we'll all have to stay tuned and see what BIC does. Last I remember he looked like he was almost finished and was testing type I and type IV prototypes.
Vintage, 2316 Type IV
RBP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby smonop » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:34 am

Keeping fingers crossed....
smonop
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby smonop » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:01 am

Was thinking about this topic... not much left I care to do to my car, but I was very interested in this change... any word ... from anywhere?? I know Russ at Fibersteel has been working on this and I think has produced Type I engines with a more accurate shroud...
smonop
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby smonop » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:52 pm

Howdy peeps, figured I’d chime in as I do annually or so to see if any progress has been made on a fan shroud that resembles an original for a Type IV engine (I have the FAT performance version) or a workable suggestion to replace my 911 shroud which I have never liked especially given all the time I’ve put in like many of you to give the car a period correct look. Thanks!
smonop
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RBP » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:33 am

I'm with you Smonop! I'd love the Type IV replica fan shroud as well. I have kind of given up on this but can still hope. Its one thing I'd like to do to my car as well.
Vintage, 2316 Type IV
RBP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby albaran » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:36 am

I would run into Bic occasionally at car shows years ago but haven't seen him since. He was going to sell me some of the prototype pieces but I think he might have moved out of Connecticut. His effort was far superior to my crude setup but at least I know mine works ok as far as cooling is concerned. I started with one of those center mount alternator stands which he used also but I don't think are available anymore. I also use one of the bigger doghouse style fans like he did. Those fans push more air because they are designed to bleed extra air through the open oil cooler. If you don't use the doghouse cooler then more air is forced through the engine. If you combine that with the use of a high capacity external oil cooler/fan, it overcomes the fact that the center mount design isn't really that good.
Attachments
spydershroud.jpg
albaran
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RBP » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:52 pm

Your closer than me. All I have is a Raby DTM with an inlet bell attached at the inet. I guess its as close as I'll get.
Attachments
5505.JPG
Vintage, 2316 Type IV
RBP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby smonop » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:21 pm

I’d pay good money to have either of those! I’d never be able to do it given I’m mechanically uninclined, but I’d pay someone in a heartbeat... unless you boys tell me it’s trial and error, taking weeks and would cost as much is my car is worth to have a private shop do it...
smonop
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby EEricson » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:31 pm

I talked to Bic about a year ago and he said he was going to have a product circa August 2018 but then I heard nothing. I halted my own project after talking to him, thinking it was too hard.

I may pick it up again, though my Type 1 Raby mill is going to keep its Raby shroud.
EEricson
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RBP » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:02 am

Albaran's is at least done to look like the original. It looks to be centred where mine is offset opposite to the distributor. So Smonop if you want to buy what I have you can just order one from here https://type4store.com/conversion-cooli ... b18216dcdf and add an inlet bell to give it a smooth look and you'll be set.
Vintage, 2316 Type IV
RBP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby albaran » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:55 am

Mine is based on a center mount shroud system which CB appears to be offering again at https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/1995.htm . Warning: these aren't great quality and you will have to do a lot of massaging to get them to fit. What I did was to put a wider cover over it to look like the original. The aluminum bell is from NHRA pro stock carb covers that were used to push against the hood scoop back when they used to run the big Holleys.
As a side note, one of the things that Bic had on his design was the air inlet cone that mounted on the fan. I asked if he could make one for me but we never got around to it. I'm trying to figure out a way to duplicate that.
Attachments
porsche fan.jpg
porsche fan.jpg (5.41 KiB) Viewed 1755 times
albaran
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Next

Return to Tech General