Front end vibration?

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

Re: Front end vibration?

Postby JBurer » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:00 pm

egrant5329 wrote:I assume you checked the inner tie rod ends. I went through much the same thing this summer. I replaced a ball joint and a damper, which helped. It wasn't quite right though, so I replaced the rest of the tie rod ends and it fixed it. I couldn't really see any movement on them, but when I took them out the passenger side inner was really loose compared to the other side and replacing them did the trick. I still need to adjust the steering box a little. Where the steering box adjustment is located, it looks like a PITA to access.

Ed, I did check the tie rods and they seemed fine. I'll add that to the short list of things to recheck, though.

What do you adjust with the steering box?
JBurer
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby JBurer » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:03 pm

GT550 wrote:John, Just saw your note about the hill country get together. Oct. was crazy for me since I traveled every week and weekend. I missed several car shows/get togethers. Since I had a few Alfa's in the past, that one would have been fun. I am finally back in town and it rained all weekend! Thanks, Gary

Gary, no worries. Shoot me a message and I'll get you the link for next year. It was quite a turnout, including a number of people who drove out from the Houston area. I think it was the Lancia and Fiat clubs that drove out from Houston.

Anyway - a great time!
JBurer
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby JBurer » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:09 pm

RBP wrote:Is your car a TR? I had the exact same issue with my 1st 550, a TR 550A. I tried everything and in the end I believe the issue was the fact that the body is mounted to the frame out of square. Measure the distance of the outer lip of each front wheel well in relation to the side wall of the tire, also note the difference where the wheel well lip turns down to the top of the tire. Next turn the wheel full left and full right and measure the distance from the inside edge of the tire to the inside wall of the wheel well where the tire would first rub. I'll bet the passenger is rubbing or close to rubbing depending on your tire size. If my memory is right there will be about .5" of offset in the way the body is mounted to the frame. I used a spacer to bring the right side wheel out, it stopped it from rubbing on a full right turn and helped a bit with the vibration but it was almost impossible to get the alignment right with the way the car was put together. That seemed to be how Tom built the cars, not sure why it was never addressed in the manufacturing process. That seemed to be the root of my issue which sounds exactly the same as what you are attempting to sort out, good luck. :-k

Only thing puzzling is that you had no vibration before you put it up and now you have a problem. Is it possible the problem was there before and you just didn't notice it?

RBP - It is a TR (a 550A, in fact) and it's definitely a possibility the problem was there before and I just didn't notice it. The roads here in Austin seem to favor 50-60mph sweeping turns (Dallas was all mostly straight and N Georgia was either sharp 30mph turns or pretty high speed)

I've been having a tire balance issue on another car I own, so it's made me more attentive to vibrations and steering feel than perhaps I had been before.

I'll take some measurements the next time I've got the car down... this weekend is the SVRA Championships out at COTA, so I know I'll be running around for that the next couple days!!

Many thanks for sharing!
Best,
John
JBurer
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby danstern » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:48 am

I think all the cars are asymmetrical. They are hand built. My problem was a wheel bearing, but you've already done that.
Dan
Quantum Mechanic, Black Holes refilled, Quarks repaired
Vintage #74, 2109cc
danstern
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RBP » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:21 am

My present car is a Vintage and I have none of the issues I had with the TR 550A, drives smooth as silk. John, I can tell you this, I had the exact issue you are talking about, steering wheel shake/vibration at around 55 mph. My car was a new build so all the mechanicals were perfect (I even double checked anyway), I bought new wheels and tires, no change. I was sure it was balancing due to it being a similar symptom but it wasn't. I sold the car before isolating it but I did find the spacer helped with the tire rub. I was running 205/55/16 in front at the time. I checked everything and the only wildcard was the out of square mounting, something there wasn't right. Keep us posted I'd be interested since I spent a lot of time and money on the same issue and sold my TR before getting to the bottom of it.
Vintage, 2316 Type IV
RBP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RS-60 mark » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:36 am

jburer -- Have fun at SVRA Championships! Root for my neighbor Tom Tuttle in '61 Huffaker Genie, red, #88; Group 5(?), sports racers. He's in against some good drivers, like Doc Bundy in a 23B.

Can everyone name this corner?: http://www.conceptcarz.com/images/Huffa ... -MH-06.jpg
RS-60 mark
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Ralphc » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:30 am

Just about to drop into the Corkscrew, Laguna Seca
Ralphc
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RS-60 mark » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:23 am

LOL! Ralph, how many years have you spent looking at that corner?
http://www.conceptcarz.com/images/Huffa ... -MH-04.jpg
http://www.conceptcarz.com/images/Huffa ... -MH-03.jpg
http://www.conceptcarz.com/images/Huffa ... -MH-08.jpg
http://www.conceptcarz.com/images/Huffa ... -MH-05.jpg

Sorry for the thread hijack.

PS: My wife was looking over my shoulder just now as I was previewing this post. She said "that looks like Laguna Seca". So I guess it wasn't a very challenging Name-That-Corner question.
RS-60 mark
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Ralphc » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:10 pm

Since May of 1965. Could stand on the outside of the track then; snow fence and hay bales kept us "safe"...
Ralphc
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby JBurer » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:59 pm

RS-60 mark wrote:jburer -- Have fun at SVRA Championships! Root for my neighbor Tom Tuttle in '61 Huffaker Genie, red, #88; Group 5(?), sports racers. He's in against some good drivers, like Doc Bundy in a 23B.

Can everyone name this corner?: http://www.conceptcarz.com/images/Huffa ... -MH-06.jpg

I may have caught him racing during the Saturday enduro... SVRA was a blast

Benetton F1 and Can Am - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLc4opB_U74

Groups 3 & 4 - https://youtu.be/JiHBkGAMlPU

1960's Ferrari 12 cylinder - https://youtu.be/SlKSjMLgB_E

Pics - https://goo.gl/photos/LKh6qfNKKRdutpkz6
JBurer
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby JBurer » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:02 pm

PS - what does one adjust with the steering box?
JBurer
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RBP » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:50 am

I don't believe there is any adjustment there. I was looking at that when I sold my TR. I can't remember the specifics but the steering wheel rotated an additional .5 than the other. I was told that that was how it worked but not sure I believe that.
Vintage, 2316 Type IV
RBP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Larry Jowdy » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:36 am

On the top of the steering box is a screw with a lock nut. Loosen the lock nut and rotate the screw clockwise to take up slack in the steering box. Sometimes it's easier if you cut a hole in the fiberglass/plastic trunk liner. In any case, stick your hand on top of the steering box and you'll feel the adjusting screw.
Larry Jowdy
Site Administrator
Larry Jowdy
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

Postby beck688 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:44 am

Oh sh*t -- It was rocket science!
That's how my brain works. It's not a perfect organ.
beck688
Old Timer
Old Timer

Postby DannyP » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:15 pm

Steering wheel vibration when all else is good? New steering damper may fix it. The steering box adjustment is hard to do so it doesn't cause extra drag and non-returning steering wheel. You can't get all the play out.

Aftermarket camber adjusters can give you extra caster as well. Extra caster can make the steering have a bit more stability, so possibly reduce any shimmy/shake.
2016 Vintage
DannyP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

PreviousNext

Return to Tech General