exhaust sound

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

Re: exhaust sound

Postby RBP » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:54 pm

Kris Courtney wrote:
RBP wrote:Mine is 4-1 but was custom fabricated. I think its similar in volume to the 4-2-1 type.

like to see the overhead shot of that 4-1 system.

If you open the photo you can see in the centre right behind the oil cooler is where the 4 go into 1, after that they split again to 2 and feed into the mufflers then on to the tail piece. I guess its sort of a 4-1-2-1, see the photo with the rear deck off.
Attachments
5504.JPG
Vintage, 2316 Type IV
RBP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Kris Courtney » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:05 pm

wow thats a hell of an exhaust . Beautiful fabrication.
Kris Courtney

Postby SeductionMotorsports » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:54 pm

https://youtu.be/KB8ShobYgag

We can manufacture any exhaust with any note you want. For inquires: sales@seductionmotorsports.com

Thank you.
www.SeductionMotorsports.com
www.Facebook.com/SeductionMotorsports
Instagram: seduction_ms
Inquiries: daniel@seductionmotorsports.com
Builder of 550 Spyders, SM550 Spyder Outlaws & 356 Coupes
SeductionMotorsports

Postby RS-60 mark » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:46 am

Well -- I guess like art is to the eye of the beholder, music is to the ear of the listener. I much prefer the raspy and racy snarl of the "original" exhaust than the I do the emasculated so-called improved exhaust. Sorry Mr. Seduction, but I think if it is supposed to look like the legendary 50's sports car/racer, then it should sound like it.

Naturally, there may be commercial reasons for selling "quiet" exhausts. Still, when it comes to my personal preference of automotive music, I like the sound of racy. That's just my opinion.
RS-60 mark
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RVosari » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:43 pm

In all seriousness that mass of tubing could heat a house [V] With a simple 4-1 set-up underneath the motor and trans you at least have some heat removal as the car moves along. You can clean-up the exhaust note/volume with a Super Trapp end-cap :)

ReV
RVosari
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Kris Courtney » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:54 pm

This is a Sebring one I have seen .
Haven't seen one that has a 4 to 1 under the car.
Racy Snarl does sound good.
Attachments
spyder.JPG
Kris Courtney

Postby Larry Jowdy » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:24 pm

Mark, didn't you once post how you get out of your neighborhood using some sort of a can, box or something to muffle the sound until out of your immediate neighborhood?
Larry Jowdy
Site Administrator
Larry Jowdy
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

Postby Ralphc » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:49 pm

We NorCal Spyders call him "teflon" Mark...noisy exhaust and no one complains...always knows when the Sheriff is going to crest the hill in the opposite lane BEFORE we get there!
Ralphc
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Kris Courtney » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:25 am

So what exhaust does Mark run ?
Kris Courtney

Postby egrant5329 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:25 am

I would like to hear the sebring exhaust side by side with the standard 4-2-1 to see how they sound. Personally I have always liked the sound of a resonator before the exhaust. I have a Vintage 4-2-1 and it isn't too loud, although I wouldn't mind it being quieter. My ceramic coating is not holding up and stainless would be nice, but that is still a ways off in the future. The other issue I would like to fix is that the Vintage exhaust prevents my rear deck from standing straight up or slightly beyond.
egrant5329
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Larry Jowdy » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:52 am

I had a stainless steel exhaust on my previous dunebuggy engine (Subaru with a Turbo) and after a few minutes it turned brown. My friend had one made at the same time as me and his turned brown (probably from the heat or the Turbo) In fact everyone I know who had a stainless steel exhaust (with a turbo) had the exhaust pipes turn brown. Not sure what it will do if no turbo is present.
Larry Jowdy
Site Administrator
Larry Jowdy
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

Postby RS-60 mark » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:31 pm

Kris -- I'll take a picture a post for you tomorrow.
egrant -- If you want an idea of what a true Sebring exhaust sounds like, simply remove your mufflers. As shown in the picture Kris provided 6 posts above, the Sebring exhaust has no mufflers. Those two square looking things are empty resonators. Or, as an alternative you can go to the race track an listen to a Porsche 356 twin cam Carrera or 550/718 Spyder. The Sebring exhaust is standard factory issue for the twin cam 747 racing engine. Or, as an alternative you can stand between two big Harleys with open exhausts and ask them if they will rev to 6000 together in stereo. Yeah baby, that's what I'm talking about!!!

Of course there are things that can be done to the Sebring with baffles in the pipes to take the edge off, or plant a pseudo muffler on the tip, but that is definitely not what I'm talking about.
RS-60 mark
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RBP » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:14 am

Wow, that must be really loud. Likely not too bad as you cruise on the freeway as the rumble is behind you. Can you talk to someone while driving around in town or does the volume off the exhaust drown you out?
Vintage, 2316 Type IV
RBP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RS-60 mark » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:04 pm

Actually, I don't hear it at all. I lost my hearing shortly after I began driving the spyder :D

More seriously, it is straight-through exhaust, so it is not like conversing in a Prius with the windows rolled up. But I don't think the communication in the open cockpit is any different than spyders with quieter exhaust. When I'm putt-putting around town I'd be foolish to call attention to myself by ripping out some wild revs, so it is easy to talk to the person right next to you. When I'm stopped and having a long conversation with someone outside the car, I turn the engine off. I have noticed that even when I'm putt-putting around town people a block ahead do turn around to see what is coming (like mentioned in Seduction post above). Never once has anyone looked at me in disgust or disapproval, only the exact opposite.

I do not recommend loud exhaust to anyone. There is good sense and civilized reasons for mufflers and noise ordinances. Mine is loud because that is just the way it is. If it was not as loud I would not try to make it louder. When I was building the car I tried to make something that was on the theme of the Sebring exhaust. This was before the Sebring exhaust replicas were openly available. Personally I think the Sebring exhaust replicas that are now available are my very 1st choice for a Spyder. If they are loud that is just the way it is.

If you don't want loud, do not get a Sebring replica. It was originally designed for a race car, and sounds like it. Raspy, snarly, crackly, wicked and evil; not for everyone.
RS-60 mark
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RS-60 mark » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:45 pm

Kris -- here is what my exhaust looks like:
(That big round thing with the black hole in lower left corner of one picture is my "neighbor be good box". Larry mentioned it in a post above. It is a home made giant glass pack muffler made from heater duct, fiberglass insulation and wire mesh. I plug it onto the end of my exhaust when starting and warming up and engine tuning, etc. I use it to save the neighbors when I'm doing engine things in the garage. Obviously it comes off when about to leave the garage.)
Attachments
IMG_8005-a.jpg
IMG_8007-a.jpg
RS-60 mark
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

PreviousNext

Return to Tech General