exhaust sound

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

Re: exhaust sound

Postby RBP » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:37 am

That's odd, I have a plexi and before that a 356 windshield. I've never even noticed any issue with wind from freeway speed bothering my ears / hearing. I live about a 25 minute freeway drive to get into town and never have an issue.
Vintage, 2316 Type IV
RBP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby danstern » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:42 am

Foam earplugs are my answer to wind noise.
Thanks for the tip on a big umbrella.
Dan
Quantum Mechanic, Black Holes refilled, Quarks repaired
Vintage #74, 2109cc
danstern
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RS-60 mark » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:38 pm

Kris -- Your exhaust looks perfect! For me there would be no other 2nd choice!!
RS-60 mark
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby egrant5329 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:37 pm

RBP wrote:That's odd, I have a plexi and before that a 356 windshield. I've never even noticed any issue with wind from freeway speed bothering my ears / hearing. I live about a 25 minute freeway drive to get into town and never have an issue.

I have the full windshield, I'm 5'8" and my seat sits a little higher (1-2") than I would like, but I can't guess what could be different between our cars.
Ed
egrant5329
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RBP » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:07 pm

I doubt much is different. My seats are right on the floor with minimal cushion. I'm 6', seats as low as possible with a low plexi. You are 5'8" with seats 2" off the floor and a 4" higher wind screen. All said and done you would be sitting higher but the windscreen would give you better shielding.
Vintage, 2316 Type IV
RBP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby TSchommer » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:27 pm

I’m thinking about a new exhaust, so I thought I would revive this thread. I have a Vintage Spyder from around 2000, and I’m not super happy with the sound. It’s a little too quiet at idle, and does not really have a “Porsche Like” rasp to it. I recently heard this clip posted in Ricardo’s Bring Trailer Ad, that sounds pretty good. While they look the same, are the mufflers different on the newer Vintage exhausts than what I would have on my earlier car?

https://youtu.be/7nyHskMNn94

If I had to simply describe what I’m looking for, I would say slightly dialed back from a Harley volume wise (maybe 90%) but with the Porsche rasp to it. I know this a bit vague, but it’s kind of a crap shoot ordering something like this online anyway.

Thanks
TSchommer
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby danstern » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:50 am

The new Vintage ceramic coated exhaust is quite a bit louder and raspier than the old one. My Vintage is from 2000 and Greg convinced me to put a new exhaust on. Came out great.
Dan
Quantum Mechanic, Black Holes refilled, Quarks repaired
Vintage #74, 2109cc
danstern
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby TSchommer » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:01 pm

Thanks, my new exhaust system has been ordered!
TSchommer
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby PandaSal » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:59 am

Hi Mark. Anyway you can share how you made “neighbor be good box”? I totally need one of those!
PandaSal

Postby RS-60 mark » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:11 pm

Sal,
Go to Home Depot and get something like this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/8-in-x-2-ft ... /100116861 Rummage around in that isle and come up with 8" end caps and an adapter from the 8" duct to something that will slip over your exhaust pipe.
Get some fiber glass insulation. I found it cheapest to get a water heater blanket and strip the fiberglass out of it: https://www.homedepot.com/p/M-D-Buildin ... /205129965 Then get some wire mesh: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1- ... /205960850

Cut the fiberglass into 24" width and cut the wire mesh into 24" width. Place one on top of the other and roll into a spiral with about a 3" open center and 8" outer diameter. Slide the "spiral" into the 8" duct, cap the ends of the duct, install the adapter for the exhaust pipe on one end, and a hole or holes on the end cap on the other end.

Slip the contraption over the end of your exhaust pipe and you, too, can be a "NBG" ;)

Now, mind you, this will not knock your exhaust down to the noise of a luxury sedan. But it does get it down to acceptably annoying (less than a leaf blower) which is better than the noise of staging a top fuel eliminator. :nana:

When done your "NBG box" might end up looking something like the one in the pictures that has been kicking around the garage floor for a decade or so.
Attachments
NBG 2 b.jpg
NBG 1 b.jpg
RS-60 mark
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby DannyP » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:54 am

I always thought that was cool, Mark. You're a better neighbor than I am.

It would help a little during warmup, if I cared what the neighbors thought. I try not to up late or too early with the Spyder though!

Honestly I get more intake noise than exhaust though. Especially when you push the loud pedal under load, scooting down the street!
2016 Vintage
DannyP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Previous

Return to Tech General