I've only used the gas adjust
Larry Jowdy
Site Administrator
Larry Jowdy
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

Re: Koni shocks

Postby DannyP » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:26 am

ReV, the roll center and roll axis are fixed by the design of the suspension and where the front/rear are in relation to each other .

I meant the body roll when cornering, which I'm sure you knew but are attempting to be cheeky about.
2016 Vintage
DannyP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby TomD » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:03 am

Suspension control has provied quite an education on this website over the years. Somewhere in the archives of this site are pictures and articles including camber compensators, z-bars and other attempts at swing axle control solutions. In view of the weight and components used I think our swing axle cars are closely related the formula-v. This website link provides a good summary and review of the path those folks have traveled. http://www.veecentre.com/what_is_formul ... derations/
TomD
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RVosari » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:23 pm

Fixed…you say…but do realize that the position of the roll centers is a dynamic condition, so the roll axis can shift when the vehicle reacts to bumps or goes through a turn…creating a vehicle which understeers when entering a turn... and oversteers in the middle of the turn because the (front) roll center has changed.

And as stated earlier…rim width and tire cross-section can have a marked effect here !

ReV
RVosari
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby dlearl476 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:27 pm

Larry Jowdy wrote:Unfortunately Koni's softest setting is way stiffer than a stock shock absorber. Over the many years I've worked on my car and customer replica cars, I've found that the most bang for the buck is a set of KYB shocks. At $145.00 for all 4, that's a pretty good deal.

I just put the Excel G's on my Spyder and couldn't be happier. (I read somewhere that the Excel Gs were even softer than the Gas a Justs.) $91 for all four. When I bought it, it had Boges on the front and Bilsteins on the rear. I'm 275# and I couldn't deflect the rear shocks half an inch putting all my weight on the rear fender. With the KYB's I can get about two inches of travel pretty easily.

GoldBarBill wrote:So, is it the KYB's 343144 front and rear?

GOLDBARBILL

Those are the Excel G's I bought, not the Gas A Justs Larry is talking about, and it's 343143 and 343144 front and rear. (Rears have two eyelets, fronts have a lower eyelet and a top stud.)
dlearl476

Previous

Return to Tech General