Camber Settings

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

Camber Settings

Postby RBP » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:01 am

I have a Vintage and noticed the negative camber was very aggressive. I don't have tools to measure this, just a level. I adjusted the rear shocks (ride height) for slight negative camber so that the bubble in the level's glass just hits the line when the level is held against the tire. The fronts tires are very negative but I'm not sure how to measure this. I have no alignment tools to measure deg of camber.
Vintage, 2316 Type IV
RBP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Re: Camber Settings

Postby Larry Jowdy » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:52 pm

Here you go https://www.walmart.com/ip/SG-Tool-Aid- ... 3=&veh=sem

Truly it's better if you go to an alignment shop and have them dial in about 1/2 a degree negative camber and about 1/8" toe in. (1/16" each tire) You can't adjust caster as the beam is welded to the chassis and can't be moved forward or backwards. (VW caster adjustment is shims between the front beam and the original chassis.)
Larry Jowdy
Site Administrator
Larry Jowdy
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

Postby RBP » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:46 pm

Was planning on taking it in somewhere but thought I could make a few rough adjustments first to see how it performs then tell them what settings I want. I'll call Greg and ask him what he normally sets things at as well. Thanks for the link, doesn't look very intuitive, not sure how you fasten that thing to the wheel or tire. What would .5 degree negative look like with a level against the tire? I have about .25" difference with the top of the tire in toward the car. Not sure what that might be in degrees.
Vintage, 2316 Type IV
RBP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby danstern » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:12 pm

If you have the top of a 24" tire leaning in 0.25" you have negative camber of 0.55 degrees. So you may already have ½ degree of negative camber but only a real alignment check will tell if that's right.
Dan
Quantum Mechanic, Black Holes refilled, Quarks repaired
Vintage #74, 2109cc
danstern
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RBP » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:53 am

Thanks Dan, What setting do you have for negative camber on front and rear of your car?
Vintage, 2316 Type IV
RBP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby danstern » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:55 am

I've got a Vintage, and per Greg and Larry it's got: F ½ degree negative, 1/16" toe-in each side. Rear camber is set by ride height and should be >or= 1 ½ degrees negative, 0 toe in back. Tire pressures F 21, R24, some like to run a pound less than that. Most importantly the rear should be adjusted or strapped so that rear camber can not go positive under braking.
Dan
Quantum Mechanic, Black Holes refilled, Quarks repaired
Vintage #74, 2109cc
danstern
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby DannyP » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:16 pm

Use a 24" carpenter square on FLAT ground, like a nice polished concrete floor, with the short end on the floor touching the side of the tire. As Dan Stern states, 1/4" is about a half degree on a 25" tire.

A 1/2" is about a degree. I used to run 1.5 degrees, but that wears the tires on the inside a bit. Now running 1/2 degree.

I run 1/16" total toe in front and in the rear. Works well.
2016 Vintage
DannyP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RBP » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:27 am

Thanks Danny, I will try that. I have about 1/4" at the front so 1/2 a degree and about 1/2" in rear so 1 degree. I was adjusting the spring perch in the rear to get here as the - camber was much higher before.

I now see that some of the measurements are a bit funny. If I set the rear shocks to the same amount of thread below the spring perch, I notice that there is a 1/4" difference from the bottom of the frame to the ground and one wheel well is about 1/2" higher from the ground than the other. How is yours set up. Did you set it based on frame to ground measurement or thread below the spring perch locking collar?

Also Dan, how do yo adjust or strap the rear axle to prevent it from going positive under braking or cornering?
Vintage, 2316 Type IV
RBP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Return to Tech General