Stainless Fuel Lines

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

Re: Stainless Fuel Lines

Postby EEricson » Thu May 31, 2018 3:07 pm

fwiw mine's going on the firewall just inboard of the driver's side frame rail, just above the top of the top tube. That is also where they were on the originals.

EEricson
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby dlearl476 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:16 pm

That's basically where I'm going to put mine, only I have the two 2-2 1/4" pipes for the roll bar coming up from that crossmember. I'm going to mount a plate in between them to mount the Filter King and my PCV oil catch tank on.
dlearl476

Postby RS-60 mark » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:32 am

dlearl -- Your plan (and EEricson's) has more merit than what I did. Since I already had an inline filter I just tagged the regulator-only version of the Malpasi into the fuel line immediately ahead of the carb banjo (replacing the Spectre regulator I had). At the time I bought the regulator (a few months ago) I had no idea how nifty the combo regulator / filter was until EEricson's post. I wish now I had gone your route with the combo setup: more simple, more clean, more attractive.
RS-60 mark
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby albaran » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:48 am

I used a filter that Russell supplies that mounts right on each carb. There is also one before the pump under the gas tank. My pump (Carter),regulator, and gauge are on the firewall. Where do the most of you mount the pumps? I know the originals were in the passenger compartment but I was not comfortable with doing that.
Attachments
spyder fuelgage.jpg
spyder fuelgage.jpg (47.41 KiB) Viewed 721 times
spyderfilter.jpg
spyderfuel.jpg
spyderfuel.jpg (47.12 KiB) Viewed 721 times
albaran
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby DannyP » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:46 am

Al, most guys mount the pump up front, under the tank. Mine is mounted to the front beam.

The pumps are usually designed to be pushers rather than pullers, that's why mine is up front.

Carter 3 to 3.5 psi self regulating with a T in back, and hard lines up the firewall with a short rubber line to each carb.
2016 Vintage
DannyP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby EEricson » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:59 pm

I'm putting mine behind the aluminum panel my dummy Autopulses mount on, inside the passenger compartment. The hard line from in front of the fuel tank is all down hill to their.
EEricson
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RBP » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:07 am

I'd be interested to learn more about the fan! Is that one of Bic's? Did you get it somewhere else and what did it cost?
Vintage, 2316 Type IV
RBP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Larry Jowdy » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:50 pm

The photo of the car about 7 posts above is an actual 550 with a real type 547 engine. (look at the valve covers, the leather engine seal etc. etc.)
Larry Jowdy
Site Administrator
Larry Jowdy
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

Postby RBP » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:39 pm

Ok, Thanks L, I can see now that I look closwer the dual coils and valve covers. I was just thinking, man the fan and housing look authentic! No wonder.
Vintage, 2316 Type IV
RBP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby EEricson » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:28 pm

Yeah I'm very keen to see what Bic's got for sale. Hopefully soon.

I think my build will go out the door with the Raby DTM though. But I DID fab-up a nice facsimile of the 547 oil breather and dry-sump tank, and I WILL mount two coils on a little shelf behind that (one being a spare!) just to put on aires.
EEricson
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby albaran » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:14 am

EEricson wrote:I'm putting mine behind the aluminum panel my dummy Autopulses mount on, inside the passenger compartment. The hard line from in front of the fuel tank is all down hill to their.

Do you have a picture?
albaran
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby EEricson » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:06 pm

EEricson
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby albaran » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:55 am

The sharing of ideas and knowledge is what is great about this club. I really didn't want to put the pump up front because of accessibility but erricson's idea of putting it behind a shield sounded good. I know that putting the pump in the engine compartment is the least desirable but it is below the tank level and instantly pressurizes when power is applied. My real concern is engine heat. So I made a shield to be on the safe side.
Attachments
sheild.jpg
albaran
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby DannyP » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:36 am

Al, does your car have a removable panel under the beam like Beck and Vintage? Pretty accessible if so.
2016 Vintage
DannyP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby albaran » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:19 am

Danny, there is no panel under the front beam. It is open to the road. That's the reason I didn't want to put it there.
It works well where it is but if you are familiar with this style Carter pump, the wiring attachments are push on type mounted on the bottom. I have had them come loose and lose power so I am going to take the pump off and put a thread on the connectors so I can attach the wires with a ring end and a nut.
albaran
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

PreviousNext

Return to Tech General