Fiberglass Floor Strength

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

Fiberglass Floor Strength

Postby Armodilo » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:33 pm

Hey guys,

We now have a 1992 Beck CA Kit and as the days go on I'm going to have a lot of strange questions, please bear with me.

The first question is about the fiberglass floor: I've seen Carey post about the difference of the early factory built and kit based versions and the difference in the fiberglass floors, I wanted to get an idea of how strong these actually are. I first sat in the car a few days ago and have since been in and out of it a few times, it's not the easiest thing in the world, but have noticed that since the seats are bolted directly to the fiberglass floor, there's quite a bit of flex and 'creaking' when you get in and out or move the seats. I'm quite worried about how strong the floor actually is, it seems like the seats could fall through the bottom any minute.

I know Carey has suggested that whenever they 'renew' an older model they weld a flat piece between the two tubular frame pieces to support the seats and seat belts, and I'm assuming I'll have to do the same, but then how do you handle replacing the floor, do you reuse the original bottom or is it better to go to a single piece of aluminum.

Has anyone ever had a floor give way, or thought it might? The rest of the car seems 'right' in terms of structural integrity for what they are, but mounting the seats to a fiberglass bottom just doesn't seem right.

Cheers,
Beck Spyder #171 (2276cc)
1963 Porsche 356B T6 S90
2018 Porsche 911 GTS
Armodilo
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Re: Fiberglass Floor Strength

Postby danstern » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:17 am

Vintage has also improved the floors. They used to be aluminum riveted to the tube frame. Now they're screwed to the frame. Why not do the same thing. Don't know the architecture of your car, but is it possible to bolt a large sheet of aluminum to the frame? Then the seats and belts get bolted to the aluminum (with reinforcements).
Dan
Quantum Mechanic, Black Holes refilled, Quarks repaired
Vintage #74, 2109cc
danstern
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Re: Fiberglass Floor Strength

Postby beck688 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:17 am

When I did the Aluminum interior on my 2001. I unscrewed the Fiberglas and glued a sheet of .063 Aluminum to it - cost about 80.oo and took about 4 hours. I didn't do it for strength but it did make a pretty solid piece and hey -- aluminum floor!
Oh sh*t -- It was rocket science!
That's how my brain works. It's not a perfect organ.
beck688
Old Timer
Old Timer

Return to Tech General