help..alternator removal

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

help..alternator removal

Postby FERNANDO FERNANDEZ » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:05 am

my alternator is dead . a mechanic came to see it and tells me he has to dismantle all the stuff...shroud,etc..

any ideas on what has to be done before i get ripped off ???
FERNANDO FERNANDEZ
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Re: help..alternator removal

Postby DannyP » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:16 am

You can take the alternator out without disturbing the carbs or shroud. You should be able to pull the alternator and fan without removing anything other than maybe the crossbar linkage, but only if it's in the way.

4 screws to remove alternator/fan assembly. Really not a big deal.
2016 Vintage
DannyP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby FERNANDO FERNANDEZ » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:19 am

to remove the webers cross bar do i have to remove the carburator base or other ....or how can i remove the crossbar ??

and thank you for your help
FERNANDO FERNANDEZ
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Mtflyr » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:14 pm

I've recently taken my old one out and put in an expensive high amp Chinese alternator. It was bad from the get go and I ended up removing that and putting in a new Bosh 55 amp alternator and all is well.

I have a Raby motor and DTM fan shroud. To remove mine I disconnect the 1-2 carb heim joint/s, remove it's top air cleaner and base (which releases the throttle linkage bar) remove the linkage bar. Caution: My linkage bar has a spring inside of each end to allow for movement (If you have the same be careful when removing or they may spring out). I then loosen the Fan nut, take off the pulley, then I have to remove the alternator stand. Then I take the fan off and pull out the alternator with it's mounting plate after removing the 4 mounting plate bolts from the shroud. It's tight and it requires a juggling act to get the alternator and mounting plate out but can be done rather easily. Install is the reverse.

Yours may be much easier if you don't have a DTM shroud.

Pete
Attachments
2017-05-08 17.39.42.jpg
2017-05-08 17.39.37.jpg
2017-05-08 14.07.51.jpg
Mtflyr
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Larry Jowdy » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:03 pm

Fernando, since you have a stock fan shroud, unbolt the brackets that hold the cross bar, remove the 4 bolts holding the alternator tin to the fan shroud, remove the band that goes around the alternator and it's base. pull the alternator away from the fan shroud.
Larry Jowdy
Site Administrator
Larry Jowdy
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

Postby RS-60 mark » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:35 pm

Larry Jowdy wrote:Fernando, since you have a stock fan shroud, unbolt the brackets that hold the cross bar, remove the 4 bolts holding the alternator tin to the fan shroud, remove the band that goes around the alternator and it's base. pull the alternator away from the fan shroud.

Some will also recommend removing the fan from the alternator shaft (36mm nut) before trying to pull the alternator away from the fan shroud. Don't drop the 36mm nut or the wavy washer behind it during the process of removing / reinstalling the fan.
Also, surf YouTube for videos of the process. It is a simple one, and maybe even easier on a spyder than a beetle.

Don't forget to disconnect the negative terminal from your battery before picking up any tool. The big wire on top of the alternator is a sparky one!
RS-60 mark
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby FERNANDO FERNANDEZ » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:51 pm

Thank you all.very helpful and you saved me monies
FERNANDO FERNANDEZ
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Return to Tech General