No More Rubbing! (Tires)

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

No More Rubbing! (Tires)

Postby dlearl476 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:40 pm

When I bought my Spyder, it had VW tires on it (165/80-R15) They rubbed on bumps, they rubbed on left turns, etc, etc. I finally got around to replacing the original shocks (Boge up front, Bilsteins in the rear) because it rode like a rock. Finally found a set of 185/65-R15 Frnt and 205/60-R15 RR like Carey recommended and put them on today with a set of KYB's.

Only took a short ride and they probably still have the 36psi Discount Tire usually puts in, but the difference is fantastic. Ride is much smoother, but most importantly, NO RUBBING. Can't wait to see how it rides with 19/22 psi in them.

PS, the car always pulled a little to the right and the steering wheel was skewed that way as well. Turns out the previous owner had put one rear wheel (5.5) and one front wheel (4.5) on the front and rear! ](*,) And I had never noticed it! With the front wheels on the front and rear wheels on the rear, it tracks perfectly straight with the steering wheel aligned just like it should be. Also gone is a weird kind of "porpoising" it did between 30-35 MPH. I assumed it needed an alignment, and intended to do that after I put on the new tires and ball joints (Next project) But maybe I don't need to. :D

Next up is to raise the rear a tad. Unfortunately, my Beck doesn't have an adjustable rear suspension, so I'm going to have to look into that. May install one, just for kicks.
dlearl476

Re: No More Rubbing! (Tires)

Postby RS-60 mark » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:18 am

Isn't it fun when things just go right? And, like always, great support from Special Editions!
RS-60 mark
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby dlearl476 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:53 pm

Boy howdy, it's very nice. FWIW, Discount put 40psi in my tires. :D

With 20-24 and the KYB's, it rides as well as my little Smart. I'm so happy.
dlearl476

Postby dlearl476 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:00 pm

egrant5329, I tried to reply to your PM, but is said "User Doesn't exist. Both my front tires rubbed, the driver's side more than the passenger. I was hauling ass around today and got the DS to rub a tiny bit in a hard corner, but neither side rubs in normal driving.

I've been looking at alloys, too. I'm inclined to go with HRBB Model A's if they ever make a 4.5" wheel for the front.
dlearl476

Postby egrant5329 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:42 pm

Thanks. I wonder why I didn't show up as a user.
egrant5329
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Return to Tech General