Door Alignment / Hinge Help

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

Door Alignment / Hinge Help

Postby Armodilo » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:12 pm

Hey guys,

Working through a bunch of stuff this fall / winter with my new / old Spyder and one of the projects is realigning the door panels.

Both doors don't have proper spacing and rub when driving, causing noise. I tried realigning the doors but it's not that simple. I pulled the door hinges out and wanted to find out if anyone knows what type of hinge this is (1992 Beck CA Kit Build, not factory). This was pulled from the drivers side door (there are two of them top and bottom). One curious thing I noticed is that the pin is on a very slight angle -- currently installed so that when the door opens, based on the angle, the door shifts slightly downwards.

The pins are worn, the movement is sloppy and I'm wondering if the installation could even be backwards. Currently the inner hinge rubs on the outer carriage but when you flip it over so that the pin angle moves to a positive angle on movement, the inner hinge floats more and doesn't rub on the outer carriage. Not sure if that's a design intention.

Any insights, OEM part? Replacement options? I'd like to avoid drilling new openings / holes in the doors and body.

I'm actually thinking of making new ones from scratch and incorporating some type of adjustable points so that once mounted it could be dialed in easier but that would be quite the project.

I did see a post of someone suggesting to glue the doors shut to solve all alignment and squeaking issues...
Attachments
550 Hinge.jpg
Beck Spyder #171 (2276cc)
1963 Porsche 356B T6 S90
1969 VW Beetle
2007 Porsche Boxster S
Armodilo
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Re: Door Alignment / Hinge Help

Postby danstern » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:35 am

They are backwards. The door should open upwards.
Dan
Quantum Mechanic, Black Holes refilled, Quarks repaired
Vintage #74, 2109cc
danstern
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Armodilo » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:37 am

Thanks Dan,

I figured as much as soon as I saw them but wanted to confirm.

Cheers,
1963 Porsche 356B T6 S90
1969 VW Beetle
2007 Porsche Boxster S
Armodilo
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Armodilo » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:33 pm

Update: they're both angled the same way, I guess there is no up or down, just one side up, one side down. So the passenger side works great with the door floating within the hinge, the driver side drags on the outside hinge.

I think I'll see if I can recreate some hinges from scratch that are adjustable once mounted to make life easier in the long run.

Cheers,
1963 Porsche 356B T6 S90
1969 VW Beetle
2007 Porsche Boxster S
Armodilo
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Return to Tech General