Car just flatlined...

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

Re: Car just flatlined...

Postby RBP » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:10 pm

You have a Mallory Unilite, I have the same distributor. If your existing system didn't have a ballast resistor and Russ replaced the existing coil with a different one that has the wrong resistance it could damage the module. The new module is part #605, I'm thinking that they are still available. Did Russ put in a new coil, if so why? Was the existing one no good? You can verify if the module is operational by following the test procedure attached (2nd last page). Also I have the acceptable resistance values for the coil if you need it. You can use any coil but you have to add resistors to make sure the resistance is right.
Attachments
Mallory_Instructions_electronic_ignition_module_605_609.pdf
(829.14 KiB) Downloaded 253 times
Vintage, 2316 Type IV
RBP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RBP » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:43 am

BTY the correct coil from Mallory is part #29219 and I think the resistance meters out at 1.4. If you run this coil you don't need a ballast resistor. It looks to me like you have the Mallory Unilite distributor part #4554101H, and if that's the case then you need to either get the resistance of the circuit to the 1.4 with any combination of coil and ballast resistor or order the coil noted above. In order to simplify things I just ordered the coil and cleaned up the circuit. If you pull the rotor up and off you should see something like the photo. The photo shows the module (part 605) removed and hanging on the wires off to the side.

Not sure if this is your problem but if the coil was changed and now your having issues this is an area to check.
Attachments
dist1.JPG
Vintage, 2316 Type IV
RBP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby smonop » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:04 pm

So I just copied and pasted the last 2 posts to send to Russ and had my shop guys read them... wish I spoke and understood ‘technical car’, unfortunately, only English, Italian and a bit of French.... 8-[
smonop
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby smonop » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:58 pm

I checked with Russ, who provided the following below, anything ring a bell as an ‘Aha?”

I did replace the MSD module with an Accel unit part no. 2005. I also replaced the coil with an Accel unit part no.
8140 that has the built in resistor. Prior to ordering anything, I called MSD and they are the ones that suggested I use these parts. They also told me that MSD owns Accel so there is no problem using Accel parts in a Mallory distributor.

BTW. The instruction sheet that came with the Accel module recommended replacing the coil with part no. 150001, the tech at MSD instructed me to use coil 8140.

I would guess that if there is no spark at the plug it should be one of the following.

A) No electricity reaching the coil.
B) No electricity exiting the coil and reaching the Dist. cap. Replace coil.
C) Bad ignition module or coil. Swap out coil then test.
D) Replace ignition module.
smonop
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby smonop » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:26 pm

Nothing guys (on Russ’s response and thoughts / advice?) Should I start from scratch and just buy new parts? (which I have no issue doing...)..
smonop
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Larry Jowdy » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:43 pm

Look for a PM
Larry Jowdy
Site Administrator
Larry Jowdy
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

Postby smonop » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:42 am

The shop guys finally had time to give a good look. They believe the electrical is intact and that the problem is one of the carbs, in their words “fuel is dumping into it’ (apparently left a puddle in the bay). Unfortunately, these guys aren’t carb savvy, so I’ll be calling around on Monday to two places that may be able to help. Any thoughts / advice?
smonop
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Larry Jowdy » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:50 am

If fuel is dumping into the carb, you have a stuck needle and seat. The seat isn't stuck but rather the needle. Go here https://www.rezrov.net/www.carburetorcl ... /setup.htm scroll down to the exploded view and look at #78 That's the needle and seat.
Larry Jowdy
Site Administrator
Larry Jowdy
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

Postby smonop » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:05 pm

Is this something that’s simple to unstick and at least get me going to get to a shop that could look at my carbs / potentially tune them? (I’ve been remiss on that... - though in my defense the car was on an ‘extended vacation’ in CA for 8 months....)
smonop
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Larry Jowdy » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:30 pm

Sometimes, you can tap on the side of carburetor (lightly) with a rubber mallet . Other times, it requires removal of the top of the carburetor to manually move the needle and clear any debris.
Larry Jowdy
Site Administrator
Larry Jowdy
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

Postby egrant5329 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:27 pm

I can't imagine a stuck needle would cause a puddle of gas in the bay of their garage. That sounds like a leak somewhere that definately needs to be taken care of so you don't catch the car on fire.

It also doesn't explain the tachometer jumping all over the place. Did you check the ground wire on your tach? I knocked mine loose once and it caused the needle to bounce around as it vibrated in and out of contact.
Ed
egrant5329
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby JRGilbert » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:35 am

This is common on motor cycle carburetors when left sitting for a while. Best option is to remove the top and clean the carb. There is a possibility that the cylinder is also full of gas. Do not try to start the engine until you have removed the plug on that cylinder and blown it out. You could damage a rod due to hydraulic lock. If one is leaking all need to be cleaned. The gas is the same age and condition in all.
JRGilbert
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby smonop » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:23 pm

Thanks again for all the input. On Thursday, I’m having the car towed to Provost Motorsports http://provostmotorsports.com

I spoke with Robbie, the owner (I had visited his shop a few years back for an introduction and questions regarding installing the shifter had fabricated and Russ recently put in, but that wasnt really their bag, they’re more of a tune it / repair it / race it shop. He assured me and I’m confident he is well versed, has the tool necessary and knows.

I will keep everyone posted on the outcome.
smonop
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby smonop » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:00 am

Took Robbie a couple of hours to figure out the problem; it was several issues, but non-carb related. The coil was bad, a problem with the distributer cap, a partially torn and loose wire and he put in what I think he said was a resister (I’ll take a photo of the new parts tomorrow and upload). I think he said something overloaded and shorted (coil maybe?) due to the voltage issues.

I asked about tuning the carbs, gas, blah blah, etc., he didn’t seem fazed. I know he services 914’s from all over the country and can both rebuild and tune Webbers. He said I’d know if the carbs were a problem, just by the sound, performance and backfiring.

I’ll have the oil changed ASAP as a precaution.
smonop
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby smonop » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:29 am

Correction - the coil was fine, loose wire and replaced distributer cap. Didn’t install a resister, rather, a regulator, to avoid voltage spikes. Question about Weber carbs - how often is it recommended to “tune / set”? The shop was reluctant since the car runs well, but I’m considering that they haven’t been touched since I purchased in 09 and car is an 06. Odometer at 10K miles.
smonop
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

PreviousNext

Return to Tech General