Carb return spring question ??

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

Re: Carb return spring question ??

Postby RS-60 mark » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:32 am

RBP -- Are you sure the reverse gear problem is inside the transaxle and not simply a shifter linkage adjustment problem? Or, a broken motor mount (which can definitely "un-shift" the trans from reverse when under torque load)?
RS-60 mark
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RBP » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:56 pm

I checked the output shaft and shifter linkage to confirm the output shaft moved in and out and everything rotated to the full extent possible. I was told its some hockey stick or fork like slider inside. I wish it was just the external linkage. Really don't want to pull the trans and axles again. Like you and your cam / carb combo I'll have to live with it. Yet another benefit of having a 1,200 lb car, manual pushing for reverse!
Vintage, 2316 Type IV
RBP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RVosari » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:33 am

1200 lbs…now that is a light Spyder…my Beck started at 1280…and is now just about at 1200.

I have a nice “appliance” motor…reliable, repeatable (RPM wise) and non-fussy.

If you are at 1400 lbs. you are carrying a BFF (big fat friend) :)

ReV
RVosari
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby DannyP » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:07 am

Hey guys. In my experience, there really aren't any kits that are 1200 pounds. Rudy, you've got a Vintage like Lenny and I, more like 1500 pounds with fuel and oil. The type4 powered Spyder is 20-40 pounds more than the type1 car. I'm pretty sure Beck's are similar, as straight-line performance is REALLY on par.

As far as the trans goes, the hockey stick is inside the nose cone, which is removable in the car. I'd take the rear clip off, undo all the motor mounts and jack the motor/trans up enough to remove it. I'm sure you have to remove the exhaust as well but that should be about it. But it's probably not the hockey stick anyway, if you can get into all 4 gears and reverse with ease.

If it's popping out of reverse it's either the reverse fork itself, the slider, the engagement teeth, or the shift fork adjustment. Unfortunately axles and diff need to come out to pull the cluster, put it into a jig, and check. Not a complete teardown(main shaft and pinion shaft can stay intact and installed), but a bit of work either way. More a pain in the butt than anything else.
2016 Vintage
DannyP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RBP » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:58 am

Thanks D, You are right on weight, I just use the 1,200 as a round about. To be honest I've never been on a scale so it could weigh 2,000 lbs for all I know. I would expect I weigh the same as you and Lenny minus the weight of the windshield and top then add the extra weight for the type IV. The plexi weighs maybe a few pounds, very light.

Also you are right on the trans, I spoke to you over a year ago on this and after adjusting everything on the outside for proper travel it was determined it had to be the slider since the trans was new and has maybe 5,000 miles on it. I don't have the tools or the experience to fix it myself, so that means I would need to pull the trans and ship it to someone who works on these. Last time the only guy I could find in Ontario was down near Toronto. I really don't want to pull the thing again, crate it up and ship it down there. One the bright side pushing the car for reverse sames me on a gym membership and keeps me in shape!
Vintage, 2316 Type IV
RBP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby DannyP » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:39 am

Rudy, I have all the tools to fix this, plus 2 spare IRS transmissions. If you came down with your trans and a gasket set, we could have it fixed in an afternoon.

And as far as the weight, Lenny has a type 4, glass windshield and no top, and is right around 1510 or so. The glass windshield and frame can't be more than 20 pounds total. I'd just go with 1500. Of course, I also have scales and if you ever make it to Carlisle we could weigh yours.
2016 Vintage
DannyP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RBP » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:28 pm

Hey D, here's a thought. If you and your main squeeze want a bit of a break/adventure you could drive up and stay at my lake house for a weekend or a week in June if you want. Its about 20 minutes out of downtown Ottawa and about 1.5 hours from my main house. We could meet here have a bbq and a few beers up here fix the trans without pulling it out and you could spend the rest of the time at the lake, enjoying a bit of R&R. Just cost a bit of gas and groceries, hell I'll even pay for the gas.

Here is a link to my lake house where you can stay. https://www.cottagesincanada.com/pinehavn
Vintage, 2316 Type IV
RBP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby DannyP » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:10 pm

Rudy, this is a fabulous idea and we appreciate it. And it would be awesome to get away and get up to Ottawa. My lady has relatives there.

The only problem is the trans HAS to come out. Axles must be removed and differential, then the whole gear cluster must slide out backwards and be removed to get to the reverse fork. Which is why I suggested coming down here, as I have all the tools to pop this out and extra transmissions to scavenge parts. In all honesty it's either a bent/broken shift fork or the fork came loose, or possibly just never adjusted properly. It's a single bolt that holds the fork to the reverse selector shaft.
2016 Vintage
DannyP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RBP » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:13 am

I was hoping you weren't going to tell me that, after the last time I was hoping I wouldn't need to pull it right out. That means the clam, exhaust, wheels, brakes, shocks, axles and everything else has to come off. It was a real pain getting the paddle support spacers in the trans to line up last time. There is no room in mine with the quaffi and 3/44 so you have to try grease and hope they stay in position when trying to slide the paddle into place, took hours to get that back in. If your around in the fall and your offer is still open I'll do it then, I know it has to be done. The lake house is about 1.5 hours from Montreal and 25 minutes to downtown Ottawa, its usually fully booked in high season (last week of June to first week of Sept) but if you wanted to use it any other time your welcome to it.
Vintage, 2316 Type IV
RBP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby DannyP » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:15 am

I assemble the trans first, then install the axles and tubes vertically with the trans in an engine stand. Then thread one axle in the frame, slide it over, then thread the other one in. I've never done that in the car, yes, that would be a real PIA!
2016 Vintage
DannyP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RBP » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:45 am

Sounds like it would be easier the way you do it. Still though, everything has to come out just to make a small adjustment. Its kinda like thinking about the time and work as opposed to the inconvenience and thinking I'll live with it for now, maybe deal with it later. :sadnana:
Vintage, 2316 Type IV
RBP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Previous

Return to Tech General