Inner door handles

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

Inner door handles

Postby EEricson » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:38 am

Can anyone tell or show me how the inner door handles attach to the latch mechanism? I've got a set from Beck; they've got like chains hanging off them, are marked P and D in a way that doesn't look like it will work (P seems to want to go on D side) and did I mention the chains? It's all very kludgy, at best, and not at all intuitive.

I'm sure I can make them work with some fabrication, but before I get into that, I'd appreciate any knowledge or advice any of you have.

Thanks, all.
EEricson
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Re: Inner door handles

Postby DessauSpeed » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:23 pm

I ended up using a solid link to connect my door handle mechanism to the door latch. I think I used coat hanger wire. I used 66-earlier Beetle mechanisms. Not sure what Beck is using. Either way, it was a quite a puzzle getting it all connected, I believe I ended up removing the latch itself, hooking it to the handle mechanism then reattaching everything with millimeters to spare. It was not fun, and I prayed they stayed connected. So far so good. Sorry no pics...
DessauSpeed
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Re: Inner door handles

Postby EEricson » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:26 pm

Thanks, I did get this sorted.

Mine just press on the "stock" internal lever. I bought Beck's kit, which is for a Speedster, stripped off the frames and the pull chains, flipped them P for D and mounted them a little skewed to get them to work. I may yet grind a little off the close edges as they're visible if you're lined up ahead of the door void. Or I might just spray them flat black and call it good.

Anyway, yeah: it was a strangely difficult little project.
EEricson
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Return to Tech General