Vintage vs. Beck?

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

Vintage vs. Beck?

Postby Msgsobe » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:38 pm

Hi everyone,
new member here, and I've caught the 550 bug...
Any thoughts on Vintage vs. beck?
tried searching the forums as I'm sure this has come up, but the search terms are too common..

thanks!
Msgsobe
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: Vintage vs. Beck?

Postby danstern » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:18 am

Everyone has a preference and reasons why. They are somewhat different. You're not likely to get an answer that satisfies you in a public forum as it easily devolves into negativity. If you want to understand the differences and advantages of each, find and knowledgeable member, buy some coffee or beer and listen. Then go see examples of each.
Where do you live? A member nearby may be willing to help.
Dan
Quantum Mechanic, Black Holes refilled, Quarks repaired
Vintage #74, 2109cc
danstern
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby DannyP » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:50 am

Dan, nice reply!

I'm in agreement with you, does no good to discuss brand loyalty as it usually devolves into garbage.

I live 60 miles North of NYC, if you're around here, contact me MSG....
2016 Vintage
DannyP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Msgsobe » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:14 pm

Thanks all...I'm in Puerto Rico, so not likely...
Msgsobe
Starting Member
Starting Member

Postby EEricson » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:33 pm

I'll jump in then.

The Vintage frame appears to be stronger and stiffer. It includes an outboard tube that runs inside the rocker panel, and a full "hoop" running under the dash. Both of these features are good to have in a side-impact crash. The Vintage also omits the rear torsion tube completely, substituting long training arms and coil-over suspension, which is easy to adjust.

The Beck/Thunder Ranch frame uses three-inch tubes in a ladder frame arrangement. It's more like what the original (the first 70 or so) 550s had, and it's plenty stiff enough for most of us, most of the time. The rear suspension is via the torsion tube (like the originals) and rear ride height is adjusted via two allen screws in blocks. It's good for fine adjustment, but bigger changes require re-indexing of the torsion bar splines.

These are the major differences between these two main types of Spyder replicas. The front suspensions are fundamentally the same on both (and very similar to what Porsche came up with circa 1950 for the car).

Bottom line: if you're building a race car, probably better to start with a Vintage. If you're trying to make something that looks more original, the Beck design is closer. When set-up carefully, both chassis work well for spirited driving on back roads.
EEricson
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Return to Tech General