headlight relay block is very hot

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

headlight relay block is very hot

Postby RandyM » Tue May 08, 2018 4:55 pm

Hey guys,

When I took delivery of my Vintage spyder (used from a PO) after a few days I noticed only the running lights were working. Since I wasn't driving at night I didn't really dive into the problem.

Well, after finding that the headlight wire was not plugged in I simply reattached it....nothing. Got a new relay block plugged it in and boom I got headlights. That was almost 2 months ago......Since plugging it back in I never was out late enough to ever turn on the lights.

Today while driving home I turned the lights on, they worked great and no issues. When I pulled into the garage for some reason I decided to check the block....it was very, very HOT. No smells, no burning just a very hot relay block.

I can assume now thats why the headlights have been unplugged, what do you think is the problem? Wires too small, ground issue, bad relay? I'm by no means an electrical wizard so would appreciate any input. With this great weather I'd like to stay out and drive in the late evenings but don't want to melt my car.

Thanks,
Randy
Randy
RandyM
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Re: headlight relay block is very hot

Postby EEricson » Wed May 09, 2018 3:23 am

First listen. Are the relays buzzing? If you turn the headlights on and touch the relays are they vibrating? If so, there's a bad connection somewhere. Look for grounds, and make sure you don't do what I did with my fan relays, which was to ground them in such a way that they cycled on and off but never worked. I thought a ground was a ground, and I was wrong.

Second, make sure the relays are heavy-duty enough. Trace the circuit and figure out what the current draw across them is. If you're running 55-watt lamps and they're wired conventionally, a 30-amp relay should be fine (55w/12v=4.6 amps per side). But a very small relay wired to both headlights could be overwhelmed if you have hi-po halogen lights.

Best guess is you've got a faulty relay & just plug in a new one, but it's good to look carefully and test before replacing parts.
EEricson
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RandyM » Thu May 10, 2018 4:35 pm

Thank you for the advice, I really appreciate the help.
Randy
RandyM
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Mtflyr » Thu May 10, 2018 6:08 pm

Hey Randy,
Hope all is well. Ed knows his stuff hope you get it sorted.
I just posted on the SOC about Vintage Car LED's headlights I bought in 2015 and their great service.

Here's what I posted I highly recommend LED headlights I run them day and night in my Speedster and Spyder.

https://www.speedsterowners.com/topic/v ... nd-spyders

You should consider heading up this way to Carlisle PA for the Speedsters & Spyders Import Car event May 17-20th.

Pete
Mtflyr
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RandyM » Wed May 16, 2018 5:13 pm

Hey Pete,

I think the time has come for that upgrade.....I checked it again, no noises or anything and with running lights on it doesn't even get warm but as soon as the headlights go on it gets very hot.

I took my longest drive last week, about 180 miles (all during daylight) and the car performed great. Besides a very red sunburned face it was a great run. Would love to attend Carlisle but couldn't swing it this time...maybe next year.

Thanks for the link, I visit the SOC but have a hard time finding some of the articles.....gotta get a little more tech savvy I guess.

Take care,

Randy

PS....Pete, the 7" universal is what I need to order correct?
Randy
RandyM
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Mtflyr » Fri May 18, 2018 3:45 am

Yes, on the 7" Randy but double check with Thomas at Vintage. It took me about 10 minutes to install my new Vintage LEDs in both the Speedster and Spyder. They are easy plug and play. Hope you get the relay thing squared away.

This years Carlisle event is not going to be so good as it's been raining up here in the Northern Virginia and in PA area every day for a week. It's going to rain up at Carlisle tomorrow Saturday as well. I may drive up in the Speedster with the top up but most likely I'll drive up in my SUV. May not be much to see if vendors are gone or no shows due to all this rain.

Pete
Mtflyr
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Return to Tech General