Correct 550 Mirror Placement / Rear Tire Gap ( Height )

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

Correct 550 Mirror Placement / Rear Tire Gap ( Height )

Postby AlexSnellWPG » Fri May 11, 2018 6:19 pm

Evening all,

When looking for a 550, I've noticed that many have their mirror mounted much further towards the front of the car then what I see originals have theirs ( James Dean's For Example ) Is there a reason for this?

Also; is there supposed to be wheel gap on the rear? Again; i've noticed that most originals that I've seen pictures of, have very little to No wheel gap for the rear wheels. Am I just seeing something that isn't there? Perhaps pictures were taken during acceleration? Any advice?

Thanks so much,

James Dean's For Reference....

https://goo.gl/images/zuPkXf
AlexSnellWPG
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: Correct 550 Mirror Placement / Rear Tire Gap ( Height )

Postby TSchommer » Fri May 11, 2018 7:29 pm

The original cars have taller skinnier tires than the replicas, so they do tuck into the fender, it’s also my understanding that the bodywork of most replica cars share a common tie to molds that Chuck Beck created these were based off a car that had some significant damage and repair to its rear fenders, that is why most replicas have taller rear fenders and larger wheel openings. I think the difference you are observing is a combination of these two factors. Most replica manufacturers now offer a rear clam that is more accurate to the original cars, it’s also noticeable in the shape of the area wher the license plate mounts.

Interested in hearing replies from others on this question.
TSchommer
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby DannyP » Sat May 12, 2018 4:09 am

Most originals have the plexi smaller screen and as such the mirror gets mounted closer as it is usable there. Most replicas have the 356 Speedster screen with aluminum frame. This necessitates mounting the mirror forward a bit. I look through the windshield into the mirror. It is somewhat usable but when lane-changing my head is on a swivel looking all around.....

What TSchommer writes is correct about the fenders. The first generation of Spyders were indeed molded off a damaged and repaired car. The new clamshell being offered by Beck and Vintage is much closer to original, anything made from the late-2000s on should have the update. It's one of the things I really disliked about my old car(2001) and really love about the new one(2016). The wheel/tire combo is a factor as well. 16" wheels and tall sidewall tires on the old cars, usually 15" and 60 series on the replicas. It also depends on where the ride height is set.

I'm also a fan of the new license light bump out, or volute as we call it. It makes the car look more smooth and flowing and less like the license light is tacked on. Other improvements are the torsion bar "hole", new door hinges and catches, and fender lips properly profiled all around. I'm sure there are more.

The left side of my new car sits about an inch higher than the right, until I get in the car. This is by design as my car is corner-weighted to give me the most even weighting when driving one-up.
2016 Vintage
DannyP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Larry Jowdy » Sat May 12, 2018 7:29 am

volute
[vuh-loot]
Spell Syllables
Word Origin
See more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
noun
a spiral or twisted formation or object.
Architecture. a spiral ornament, found especially in the capitals of the Ionic, Corinthian, and Composite orders.
Carpentry. a horizontal scrolled termination to the handrail of a stair.
Zoology.
a turn or whorl of a spiral shell.
any of various tropical marine gastropods of the family Volutidae, many species of which have shells prized for their coloration.
the spiral casing surrounding the impeller of a volute pump.
adjective
having a volute or rolled-up form.
Machinery.
spirally shaped or having a part so shaped.
moving in a circular way, especially if combined with a lateral motion.
Larry Jowdy
Site Administrator
Larry Jowdy
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

Postby danstern » Sat May 12, 2018 3:17 pm

IMG_3584.JPG
IMG_3584.JPG
I have a 2000 Vintage Spyder. However I had the rear clam replaced with the newer, more correct clam by Greg. Great improvement. My mirror has always been in the correct place. Compare that and the rear arch spacing to the Dean car.
Attachments
IMG_3585.JPG
Dan
Quantum Mechanic, Black Holes refilled, Quarks repaired
Vintage #74, 2109cc
danstern
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby egrant5329 » Sun May 13, 2018 2:14 am

Dan Can you see your mirror through those stickers? NH moved their inspection sticker from behind the rear view mirror to where your stickers are because of new cars eyesight type electronics and it almost completely blocks my driverside mirror. I called the state and they said it had to go there no exceptions. I moved it over as much as possible, so technically it isn't correctly placed, but I felt I needed some of the mirror.
EdG
egrant5329
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby DannyP » Sun May 13, 2018 6:06 am

Ed, NY has the registration sticker that comes in the mail. I placed mine under the wiper, lines up to the edge of it. Safety Inspection sticker is all the way left of driver view in the corner of the windshield.

This gives me a line of sight to the mirror. Technically the stickers are supposed to be right next to each other, but nobody has given me any static about it.
2016 Vintage
DannyP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby danstern » Sun May 13, 2018 7:21 am

Ed, yes, they are not in my line of sight. They're various PCA stickers. I checked to make sure they wouldn't obstruct anything before applying. CA doesn't have any inspections.
Dan
Quantum Mechanic, Black Holes refilled, Quarks repaired
Vintage #74, 2109cc
danstern
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Return to Tech General