Gauge idiot light help.

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

Gauge idiot light help.

Postby dlearl476 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:29 pm

I have what I believe to be is this set of gauges. The combo gauge is what I'm addressing. Currently, the red bulb on the right lights when my headlights are on low beam. The blue light on the right never lights. So not only is the wiring wrong for the bulb, it's backwards from how I assume it should operate (blue light on high beams.)

Anyone know where to start rectifying the backwards operation? Also, what SHOULD that red light on the left indicate. I've seen it described several places as a fuel reserve indicator light, but I'm lost as to where it would get that information with a two-pole fuel sending unit.

Also, what should the two red lights in the tach indicate? (I'm relatively certain these are just redundant, based on what gauges were available, and would normally indicate gen output and oil pressure in a gauge set with just two warning bulbs in the combo gauge like the original 550 gauges.)

dlearl476

Re: Gauge idiot light help.

Postby JRGilbert » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:44 am

The attached PDF is the wiring for the instrument panel. The wire sizes indicated are not the sizes of your VW harness. I cut out about 30' for wire from the panel to the fuse box and built a panel wiring harness with 20 gauge wire in a separate loom. It really cleaned up the under dash. This diagram indicates all lights wired. I did not actually do that...too many red lights in the clusters. You should have a low oil pressure light, generator warning light, hi beam light, turn signal light. I hope this helps.
Attachments
1-4-2017_550 WIRING_1.pdf
Instrument panel wiring
(37.99 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
JRGilbert
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby dlearl476 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:30 am

Thanks, JR. In some ways yes, in others it makes it more mysterious.

That diagram shows no connection to the alt. Light in the combo gauge. And the TWC center bulbs being oil press/temp. Not his mind works. One center is oil press one is alt.

It's a simple fix to change the hi-beam from where it is now to the hi-beam light, but I still wonder why it's working backwards.

Perhaps the rest of the diagram will help? Pulling the gauge and checking the wiring us about three projects down the list right now. Need to redo my accelerator crossbar linkage and install my Malpassi Filter King first.

The good news? It's running great.
dlearl476

Postby Larry Jowdy » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:55 am

Why don't you call the manufacturer of the car and ask them to send you a schematic
Larry Jowdy
Site Administrator
Larry Jowdy
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

Postby dlearl476 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:50 pm

Chuck? Lol

Kit # 100, built by who knows who.
dlearl476

Postby Larry Jowdy » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:59 pm

If it's a neck, call Special Edition .
Larry Jowdy
Site Administrator
Larry Jowdy
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

Postby dlearl476 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:14 pm

Larry Jowdy wrote:If it's a neck, call Special Edition .

I talk to Kevin and Carey all the time. Not much help on these kinds of things, despite their willingness to help. If it were a turn-key car, things would be different but not only is it an early kit, it's been taken apart, painted, and re-assembled with a new engine.
dlearl476

Postby DannyP » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:19 pm

Typically, the alternator(generator in the old days) and the oil pressure idiot lights are in the tachometer. Green(generator) and red(oil pressure), short version is is G-O.

Swap the wire or the wire and the bulb in the combi gauge from red to blue. Then swap the low beam and high beam wires on the dimmer relay under the dash. Done.

The three red lights in the combi gauge are typically not used. I used mine as a sequential rev limiter, but that's another story.

Good luck
2016 Vintage
DannyP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby JRGilbert » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:35 am

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r4av4e8ckzr8j ... g.pdf?dl=0

I got these diagrams from Greg @ Vintage several years ago.
He did not Provide a did not provide a diagram for the front of the car but that will not be difficult to figure out.

If your harness does not match the colors indicated here...you're on your own.
The engine diagram was all correct.

There was way too much wire under the dash, a real hornets nest. No need to run 16ga wire to a 3 watt indicator.
That's why I built an instrument harness,
I can actually look under my dash and see where the wires connect.
Study the Engine diagram first and match it to the Instruments.
Again, I did not use all if the red lights.

Good luck
JRGilbert
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Return to Tech General