Hand throttle on 356A's

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

Hand throttle on 356A's

Postby tim johnson » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:46 pm

Does anyone have any experience with adjusting a hand throttle on a 356A without having to completely remove the whole mechanism under the toe boards? The cable holder at the end of the lever that moves the accelerator has slipped and I cannot seem to find a way to adjust it with out complete removal. (I'm not talking about the barrel shaped \"stop\" that's on the cable itself, but the pinch bolt that holds the cable to the end of the lever.) Seems like their should be a simple solution to avoid a real PITA. Thanks.
tim johnson
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Arch » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:07 pm

I have a 56 356A and that is the one thing on my rebuild that has not been done - I just have the knob on the dash! From all I hear it is a real nightmare to hook up back to the carbs.
For both of our cars I Hope someone knows how to do it!
Cheers
Arch
Arch
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby tim johnson » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:53 am

Thanks, Arch. Actually, the hand throttle cable only goes down to the accelerator linkage under the toe board and moves the accelerator pedal. It utilizes the accelerator cable to go to the back of the car. There is a little tab/flange with a rubber covering that actually makes contact with the accelerator's linkage. My problem is trying to find out how you adjust the length of throw on the hand throttle lever under the toe board, without having to remove the entire mechanism. Of course having to work inside the foot well makes this a real pain. At 62, I don't bend like I used to...
I'll keep you in mind, if I find a solution.
tim johnson
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby tim johnson » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:11 am

Turns out my hand throttle adjustment was fine, it was the accelerator rod that goes to the back of the car that was out of adjustment.
If you decided to reconnect your hand throttle, see page 39 Autobooks Porsche 356a,b,c - Owner's Workshop Manual - Autobook 827 by Kenneth Ball. It even supplies a diagram.
tim johnson
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Hand throttle on 356A

Postby gordonmaltby » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:28 am

The hand throttle is a knob on the dash, on the end of a toothed rod that is twisted to secure at the point you pull out. That rod/cable is connected to a pivot which in turn is connected to the accelerator pedal. Often, the knob end of the rod is rusted to the bezel, the cable is broken or the final connecting link to the gas pedal is loose. Most new owners have no idea there even is such a thing on their cars, and the parts get left off in restoring a car. Good luck finding replacements, although you don't really need them if you've changed to later carbs or a later engine.

Regarding linkage adjustment, you start at the front and take up all the slack at several pivot points. Many owners have no idea they are missing up to a third of pedal travel (and rpms), and wonder why their motors are such slugs. The process is outlined in detail in a reprint of a 356 Registry magazine article by Peter Zimmermann, in \"356 Porsche Technical and Restoration Guide, Vol. 2\". The article also has photos of the hand throttle pivot assembly. The book is available at Amazon, and has a lot of other good info you can use on your 356, or even your Spyder replica.

Gordon Maltby
gordonmaltby
Starting Member
Starting Member

Postby gotowo » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:58 pm

We are blessed with Royalty - what brings you to this side of the forum Gordon? - love your books! ;)

Andrew
Building the dream - http://www.type550.com
Vintage racing posters - http://posters.type550.com/
gotowo
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby DannyP » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:25 pm

Mr. Maltby, first welcome. Second, thanks for your books!
2016 Vintage
DannyP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Return to 356 talk