Why 356's?

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

Why 356's?

Postby Dave Avery » Mon Aug 18, 2003 5:51 pm

There are a number of our friends and members that drive 356 speedster and cabrio replicas, and they have lots in common with us spyderfolk. In particular, MrYahoo(Rich) turned me on to a great wheel maker, and Mike Wiggins (as seen in Excellence Magazine) bought my 2.7 rs motor which now powers his car!

Anyhow, it would stand to reason that the more people we can get together here the better the quality and quantity of information, so let's welcome our 356 brothers! =D> =D> =D>

-DMA
Dave Avery
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

Postby Lazy8ball » Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:20 am

I am a proud owner of 356 and I am glad to meet you guys and want to thank Larry for all his help.
Lazy8ball
Starting Member
Starting Member

Postby Steve Courtney » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:44 am

Dave
There are also a number of Spyders with 356/912 engines, brakes, and steering boxes.
Steve Courtney
Old Timer
Old Timer

Postby Greenberg » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:22 am

Tim Johnson just picked up a beautiful 356 not too long ago.
Ya gotta drive it like ya stole it!
Greenberg
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Wayner » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:39 am

356? oh boy :)

...now those pesky RS60 drivers can pick on someone elses body style and leave us 550 guys alone ;)

Welcome aboard!
Wayner
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby tmpusfugit » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:54 am

Steve Courtney wrote:Dave
There are also a number of Spyders with 356/912 engines, brakes, and steering boxes.

a strange lot no doubt......we all know 356 engines are too old to rev above 2500 rpm and the hp is usually less than 25... :D [):]
tmpusfugit
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Arch » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:42 am

While enjoying my new Spyder I am in the 'middle' of a multi year restoration of my 1956 356 A coupe. The Body work is done and is primered - final paint next and then the reassembly process - which will no doubt tax my 57 year old brain - it so much easier to take things apart. I do have the matching numbers 1600 super motor that came with the car (not sure if it is still a Hirsch roller crank) but a good friend gave me a partial 912 motor which I had rebuilt by Duane Spencer and a newer transaxle that I had rebuilt by Vic Skirmants. Autos international is doing the interior.
My first really terrifying ride in a vehicle was with my uncles best friend Dave in a 1956 356A screaming through the Berkeley hills. Dave was an amatuer racer back then and I learned what the 'chicken handle' was on the dash. The whole ride I was scared but I really loved it and that led to more hair raising rides and family trips to races.
Anyway, I have a soft spot for 356's and a hole in my wallet beacuse of it.

:D
Arch
Arch
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Why 356

Postby Ralphc » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:45 pm

Rat racing on Grizzly Peak Rd. eh? That was our fun ride back in the 60's. Now too many houses, bicyclists & etc.
Ralphc
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby rsrdoug » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:58 am

I remember those days in the earily 60's when I would take my MGB
(I was young and foolish) up there and terrorize the wild life. One MG cured me, 7 fuel pumps and various other little problems, but the best one was, stopped at a stop light I hear this loud twang and a stabing pain in my left calf, I drag myself out of the car to see the clutch spring sticking about 3/4 in into my calf. Bye bye MG and no regrets. Doug
What makes a race driver fast?
If your right foot isn't hard on one pedel or the other, your're coasting
rsrdoug

Postby tim johnson » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:37 am

I missed this whole thread, until just the other day. Arch, about the time you were writing about your A coupe restoration, I was driving by Calistoga on the way to Pebble Beach with a bunch of classic cars on a tour. (I wasn't driving my coupe or any other classic, I was driving the trouble truck and trailer.) I was on the road for 16 days with no access to a computer.

Is your coupe an early or late A? I have an early A with bee hives. Lago Metallic Green, an original 1956 factory color. I bought the car restored. Unfortunately, the previous owner had an earlier split case transmission put in the car, instead of the correct 644. I picked up a 644 in Oregon on my way home from Pebble Beach and am having it rebuilt to go in to the car.

I'm a big believer in driving old cars, and the split case leaks so badly, I'm concerned I'll run it dry, so that's the reason for putting the correct transmission back in the car.

Tell me about your coupe? As you know, these cars are GREAT drivers.
tim johnson
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Dutch » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:47 am

I got hooked on 356's when my dad bought a 4 year old one when he got out of graduate school. He drove it several more years and then had a good mechanic in Lubbock rebuild the engine. WOW! What a difference! By that time I was driving and it just sparkled! I wish I knew the guys name that did the rebuild. He worked at the VW dealer and did this out of his garage. I've had several 356's and am now building a 550 replica using a 912 engine.
Dutch
Dutch
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Manxman » Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:09 pm

Yup, 356's are a passion! Mine is a 1958 356A Super Coupe #101783 manufactured in September 57 as a European Delivery Model to Sunauto in Paris France and purchased by a US Airforce officer. It is now nearing completion from the bare metal, with Silver/Black. It's about the tenth 356 of over 20 Porsches I've owned including two 55 Speedsters and a 58 Speedster(when one could afford them! My first was $1,100 and last the 58 was $8,000!). There is NOTHING that says German Bauhaus School of Design philosophy, better than a 356A! Yeah yeah, the 356C/SC is more advanced but for sheer beauty the 356A tops em all!
Manxman

Postby Arch » Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:36 pm

Tim,
It is an early 56 with the bee hives.
The car was found in a barn where it had been sitting for 24 years and covered with pidgeon s##t, and yes it smelled bad. There had been a half assed attempt at restoration by the previous owner which was abandoned - the previous body guy got lead happy and messed it up - all that had to be undone to be redone. Body is straight now.
NLA rebuilt the stub axles, Zimms rebuilt the steering box and I am putting in a dual resevoir brake setup.
We found a bit of rust in the door striker area the other day and that is being repaired - car still not painted yet. The original color from the factory VIN data was black which should look good with the tan leather interior. I have a 644 transaxle (un touched leaky original sitting next to the original matching #'s 1600 super motor under the workbench) but my brother gave me a 741 that he had and that is the one that Vic Skirmants rebuilt. So with the hopped up 912 motor and the newer transaxle I am not 'correct' but it should be fun to drive.
I agree that the design of these vintage 356's is in a special category - just beautiful!
Arch
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby tim johnson » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:20 am

1600 Super motor, nice! Mine has the 1600 Normal.

My car had been a Northwest car for a long time, and consequently had a fair amount of rust. Both longitudinals, jack spurs, floor pans and battery box floor were replaced. It's now a solid little car.

It's good to hear that real barn finds are still out there. Sounds like a great project. I noticed some great roads in your part of California. It should be a great car to get out and enjoy them. My car was restored five years ago by the last owner, who NEVER drove the car. The tailpipes were actually ground flat from being on and off a flat bed so many times. When I told him that I was going to drive the car, I thought he wouldn't sell it to me.

[:0]
tim johnson
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Re: Why 356's?

Postby MichaelW » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:15 pm

Always liked the 356's! Beautiful and elegant design.
MichaelW

Next

Return to 356 talk