VDO Gauges

This is the marketplace forum for Special Editions, Inc., builder of 550 and 356 replicas (1-16-14 pd)

Moderators: Larry Jowdy, WasserSpyder, 24+yearsinthebiz

VDO Gauges

Postby WasserSpyder » Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:18 am

Over the last year+ we have been working with VDO to improve the quality of their 356 replica gauges. Everything from the common poor sealing of the combo gauge or stripping the trip drive gear, to the less common internal short in tachometers that kills ignitions. We've collected many samples of the various gauges w. problems and made a few trips to the factory as well. Last week I received a full report on all of their problems with proposed fixes.

I expect to have some \"improved\" samples after the first of the year and we'll go from there.

Have a great holiday.

Carey
Carey Hines
Special Edition, Inc.
www.beckspeedster.com
WasserSpyder
Moderator-Contributing Vendor

Postby laneco » Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:56 pm

This is a much needed improvement, Carey, thank you for addressing it. Many fine hours have been spent grousing about the poor quality guages and the significant expense to repair them.

With the level of the cars being built by yourself and others, the current guage quality is woefully unacceptable. Again - nice job addressing it Carey! =D>

angela
laneco
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby porschebmw » Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:42 pm

Carey,

I just got a new tach from you last week because it was cheaper (and faster) than having my broken one rebuilt. I'm interested in all of the \"new and improved\" gauges. Any chance you could orchestrate a discounted \"group buy\" for the spyderclub? Also, if you'd like my old broken tach for R&D I'll be happy to give it to you.

Cheers,

Mark
porschebmw
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby WasserSpyder » Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:49 am

Angela,

Thanks. It was actually quite the battle, as the first responses were pretty much just trying to blow us off.
There are several small things that we are trying to improve, and some suppliers that didn't seem to care, and just had to be dropped.

Mark,

Once VDO fixes the issues and fills all my backorders I will be happy to do something for the group.
Carey Hines
Special Edition, Inc.
www.beckspeedster.com
WasserSpyder

Postby WasserSpyder » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:50 am

Well, the first of the new gauges are in, and the improvement is huge!

First, the odometer and trip on the samples worked flawlessly. The sealing of the gauges is improved. Cold morning and they didn't even fog up... WoooHooo.
Things are generally lined up better, so the lights are bright where they are supposed to be.
They even darkened the light green just slightly, matching the original 356 gauges a little better.

I have gauges coming for all of my current builds, and have programmed a bunch of \"extras\", although delivery time is still a bit off. I'll keep everyone posted.
Carey Hines
Special Edition, Inc.
www.beckspeedster.com
WasserSpyder

Postby DannyP » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:18 pm

That is good news, Carey. My combi gauge fogs up bad, and I can't remember which of the other two fogs a little. Spring is here, and morning drives soon will be reminding me. I'll be good for two gauges this year.
2016 Vintage
DannyP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby drdriddle » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:26 am

Carey, can you give us a idea of what cost would be? I too have a gauge that fogs and the speedo is really dim. thanks
dusty
drdriddle
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Golde60 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:44 am

do you have any pictures of the new and improved guages?

or of what you have available on the extra guages such as CHT, clock etc

I am interested in seeing how the additional guages match up with newer version of the standard guages
Golde60
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby WasserSpyder » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:12 am

The additional small gauges are all hand made and a perfect match. Hell, we've had some HAND painted to a specific color (matching interior, or body).
I'll have to take some photos of the \"new\" gauges. Will try to get to this in the next day or so.

FYI, they are still filling my backorders for builds and I do not have ANY \"extras\" as of yet.
Carey Hines
Special Edition, Inc.
www.beckspeedster.com
WasserSpyder

Postby egrant5329 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:01 pm

Carey,
Any chance you had the speedometer converted to mph on your new gauges?
egrant5329
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby WasserSpyder » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:57 pm

VDO is not interested in making a new face for the gauge. In fact, they really don;'t want to make the gauges at all any more. Exactly what we were told is that they have nearly 3 million orders for various \"assembly line\" gauges and our little \"off the line\" corner was more of a pain than it was worth... thankfully they WILL continue, but I will not press my luck too much.

So.. for now MPH will have to be a US conversion from NH Speedo or PA Speedo
Carey Hines
Special Edition, Inc.
www.beckspeedster.com
WasserSpyder

Postby egrant5329 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:22 pm

Too bad, that seemed like a very easy one for them to do and since there are so many used in the USA it sort of seems like a no brainer. Maybe you can push for that one later on.
Thanks,
Ed
egrant5329
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby WasserSpyder » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:30 am

And the hits keep coming...
Last week VDO announced that they are discontinuing all of their small run and hand made gauges, made off the main production line. This is their entire marine line as well as the replica 356 gauges. I was told that I would receive approximately 1/3rd of my current order if time permitted. Jeez, thanks a lot. #-o

We are already consulting with several other manufacturers and weighing the possibilities.

More when I know more...
Carey Hines
Special Edition, Inc.
www.beckspeedster.com
WasserSpyder

Postby Bart » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:24 am

Not sure this would help anyone as these are real 6v units. And mechanical.
I'm asking $650 for the set.
Attachments
550 carpet 003.jpg
Happy Cruzin
Bart
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Re:

Postby prototype4 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:20 pm

WasserSpyder wrote:And the hits keep coming...
Last week VDO announced that they are discontinuing all of their small run and hand made gauges, made off the main production line. This is their entire marine line as well as the replica 356 gauges. I was told that I would receive approximately 1/3rd of my current order if time permitted. Jeez, thanks a lot. #-o

We are already consulting with several other manufacturers and weighing the possibilities.

More when I know more...

And the geniuses who marginallized-out this market get paid so well too.
Hopefully fortune will favor them with some appropriately gruesome fate. It could happen! Just look at the California housing market sub-prime rate enablers..... [V]
Ohhhhhh........I'm a lumberjack and I'm OKAY,
prototype4
Old Timer
Old Timer

Return to Special Edition, Inc.