Spyder Officially and LEGALLY Through SVA

This is the marketplace forum for Special Editions, Inc., builder of 550 and 356 replicas (1-16-14 pd)

Moderators: Larry Jowdy, WasserSpyder, 24+yearsinthebiz

Spyder Officially and LEGALLY Through SVA

Postby WasserSpyder » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:44 am

About 2 months ago we got our speedster LEGALLY through SVA.
Yesterday we finally got the Spyder approved.
It has been a big challenge over the last year plus, but we finally made it.
Seems like many EU countries are catching on to the US \"vintage\" titles and I am afraid that shipping cars on a 1955 title will soon be a thing of the past.
In the UK specifically I know that even the pan based speedster replicas are starting to be denied registration as a 50s/60s/70s VWs.

Anyway, just thought I'd share. Off to enjoy this weather. After weeks of single digit days and negative nights, 40 feels like shorts weather!!
Carey Hines
Special Edition, Inc.
www.beckspeedster.com
WasserSpyder
Moderator-Contributing Vendor

Postby Guy_spyder550 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:37 am

Nice to hear Carey, Terry posted on the UK Speedsters Club website that the 550 had gone through. :)

You ought to look at the possibility of doing a water cooled Subaru based one for over here in the UK/Europe.
Don't think there would be much market for the non-turbos, it would need to be Turbo based. The Turbo Subaru's outsell the non-turbos at something like a 10 to 1 ratio. It was the biggest market outside Japan for the Turbo. Not difficult to find them in scrapyards now at sensible prices for donors.

Barrie at M&W does a fair few Alfa flat four based 550's but the supply of those engines is starting to dry up.

If you build one around an Subaru box adapted to 2wd even better
Guy_spyder550
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby John Jennings » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:24 am

The Subaru and Porsche Boxter engines will be a lot easier to get through the tightened up vehicle emissions regulations that are supposed to be arriving in 2010 in Europe.

Those might be interesting alternative choices to the Audi engine for the Spyder. It's going to be an uphill struggle for the air-cooled VW engine in the coming years.
John Jennings
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby WasserSpyder » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:18 am

Thanks guys. I have no quam with doing a Suby, but it would have to be with a converted suby box in the DeDion chassis. I saw some of the conversion and shifter items in another thread... they really sparked my interest.
I am still concerned with the standalone management, but maybe just getting my feet wet will cure that. I have not spoken to the guys at OutFront about the possibility of a stock remapped ECU, or the ability to keep most of the smog equipment in place, but I don't thin it would be too difficult for the NA motors.
Again, one of the nice things about the VW is the stock cat, charcoal filter, canister, return lines, etc, etc...
If memory serves, the larger Suby motors have 3 cats! Try cramming that into a spyder... :)
Carey Hines
Special Edition, Inc.
www.beckspeedster.com
WasserSpyder

Postby Guy_spyder550 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:26 am

Carey the later post (99 or so) turbo ECU's can be remapped by ECUTEK. The earlier ones you can get remapped with a chip that goes in a spare socket on the ecu. Problem is more with the engine wiring loom which is part of the main loom. Nothing that can't be resolved though. :)

This company in the UK is producing the Murtaya based on the Impreza drivetrain http://www.adrenalinemotorsport.co.uk It looks to be revived sports car called the Delfino Feroce that never took off in the UK. The Murtaya seems to be selling pretty well though.
Guy_spyder550
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Return to Special Edition, Inc.