Beck Production Back in the USA

This is the marketplace forum for Special Editions, Inc., builder of 550 and 356 replicas (1-16-14 pd)

Moderators: Larry Jowdy, WasserSpyder, 24+yearsinthebiz

Re:

Postby prototype4 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:29 pm

Aussiespyder wrote:The group has probably succesfully described a Boxster!!

Remember we are wanting to own recreations of a hand built car built in the mid 50's. Sure making it look more authentic is fine but in my view that is where it stops - I like the idiosyncrasies of what is still a hand built car that doesn't roll off a 21st century production line. Half the fun is is the tweaks we have to do late at night in the solitude of your own garage.

True, so true. It must be love, or self-inflicted idiosy. Ask me how I know. ;)
Ohhhhhh........I'm a lumberjack and I'm OKAY,
prototype4
Old Timer
Old Timer

Postby WasserSpyder » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:21 am

Great feedback guys, thanks! Anyone who hasn't weighed in and would like too I will be compiling a final list for Chuck on Monday (23rd) so feel free to comment over the weekend and I will check back on Monday.

I was actually thinking of LESS optional items, and more of the original items as a standard feature. We currently have 2 pages of options, seats, steering wheels, accessories, etc... and have been doing a ton of custom fab work on top of that, so I thought it would be nice to have OE lights, straps, OE seats, wide fives, and a few other items as standard features.

Regarding the windshield, I too would prefer a flat front cowl and plexi screen, but that is one item that will most likely remain unchanged. There are just too many states that REQUIRE AS-1 certified glass and would not pass inspection with plexi, and we produce a ton of frames and glass for the speedster so it just makes sense to keep that item as is, and offer something like Russ' full length plexi as an add on.

I'll check back on Monday as well as address some of the questions directed to me, some of which will be by PM for obvious reasons. :D
Carey Hines
Special Edition, Inc.
www.beckspeedster.com
WasserSpyder
Moderator-Contributing Vendor

Postby drdriddle » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:37 pm

I would like to extend my congratulations for taking this step to continue building our cars here in the U.S. Especially in such hard economic times. It must be a sphincter tightening experience to undertake a big move/investment. I would personally like to thank you for taking the time to ask for our opinions and suggestions. All my best in this endevour.
drdriddle
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Re:

Postby prototype4 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:57 pm

WasserSpyder wrote:............Regarding the windshield, I too would prefer a flat front cowl and plexi screen, but that is one item that will most likely remain unchanged. There are just too many states that REQUIRE AS-1 certified glass and would not pass inspection with plexi, and we produce a ton of frames and glass for the speedster so it just makes sense to keep that item as is, and offer something like Russ' full length plexi as an add on.

:sadnana:

Spoken like a true professional (assembler). ;)
prototype4
Old Timer
Old Timer

Beck

Postby shanghaiken » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:07 pm

My list would match that of Ralf. My feeling is that the car should be as authentic as posssible.

Better shape of clam-shell
gas tank/cap location together with a flat floor,
Authentic dash (instruments and knobs),
Working bonnet latches and rear locks,
More accurate fuel tank compartment and hinges,
Original style shifter

sk
shanghaiken

Postby DannyP » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:45 am

Carey, you, Kevin, and Chuck are to be congratulated. Well done keeping it going and bringing production here. I think the clamshell and the gas filler are the biggest changes I would make. The undertray is a novel idea, and I am sure would help alleviate overheating in traffic.
2016 Vintage
DannyP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Renn987 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:02 am

I live in Southern California and was about to approach local kit manufacturers when this thread stopped me in my tracks. I now have my nose pressed up against the glass to see what Beck is going to do.

When might the decision be made about the new features, and when are they anticipated to be made part of the production?
Renn987
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby WasserSpyder » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:27 pm

I am waiting for Chuck to come back out here. We were going to do that last week but both got busy. He has an event in NY next weekend and is going to come out here on his way home and we'll make final decisions on the changes. I guess the time frame will depend pretty heavily on the changes, but we are shooting for almost immediate implementation of the changes for early 2011 release
Carey Hines
Special Edition, Inc.
www.beckspeedster.com
WasserSpyder

Postby Wayner » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:21 am

I'd love to see you do an under dash roll hoop that includes a welded on steering shaft support/bearing as per the originals. Can be seen in the frame pics in Lud's book.

If it is located in the right position, it can support a standard vw shaft, or an articulating shaft could use the same mount to incorporate a rack if so desired.

I think a manual rack is the one big improvement that would not make the car feel too modern, yet not so flimsy (as all early vw's seem to feel through he steering wheel).

An articulating shaft is also a nice safety feature.
Wayner
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby drdriddle » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:57 am

hehe......articulating shaft......
drdriddle
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Re:

Postby prototype4 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:18 pm

drdriddle wrote:hehe......articulating shaft......

Well now HOW would you articulate it (verbally speaking of course)? ;)
prototype4
Old Timer
Old Timer

Postby Jake Raby » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:11 pm

I talked to Carey on Friday.. He told me abot this and I was VERY glad to hear it!! Anything that brings more manuacturing and jobs back to this country is to be applauded in today's economy..

Working with the Special Edition crew over the past few years has been a refreshing experience for me.. Having the cars made in the USA makes me more enthusiastic to outfit them with engines comprised of USA made components as well..
Jake Raby
Raby Engine Development
http://www.rabyenginedevelopment.com
Vintage VW, Porsche and Subaru Engine Development
Jake Raby
Contributing Vendor
Contributing Vendor

Re: Beck Production Back in the USA

Postby laneco » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:04 pm

Carey,

Thank you (and Chuck Beck et al) for the decision to bring jobs back to this country. Not only are you making a wonderful product, you are contributing the financial wellness of this nation.

A big thank you, from someone whose husband is working overseas due to lack of jobs here....

angela
laneco
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Re: Beck Production Back in the USA

Postby berryla » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:46 pm

Part of the challenge of owning a replica is learning how to handle a period design. I can buy modern sportscars all day long. Its not the same.
berryla
Starting Member
Starting Member

Previous

Return to Special Edition, Inc.