Beck Production Back in the USA

This is the marketplace forum for Special Editions, Inc., builder of 550 and 356 replicas (1-16-14 pd)

Moderators: Larry Jowdy, WasserSpyder, 24+yearsinthebiz

Postby beck688 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:56 am

The 356 windscreen was a Porsche factory option - that was more Porsche's idea of a cost cutting benefit.
beck688
Old Timer
Old Timer

Postby Ralf » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:02 am

Better shape of clam-shell is essential and yes, a more accurate gas tank/cap location together with a flat floor,
Authentic dash (instruments and knobs),
Working bonnet latches and rear locks,
More accurate fuel tank compartment and hinges,

Authentic shifter (sweet little detail),

Optional, a jack for the purists...
Ralf
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Re:

Postby prototype4 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:15 am

beck688 wrote:The 356 windscreen was a Porsche factory option - that was more Porsche's idea of a cost cutting benefit.

Indeed Beck688. :-k Yet the feature glares on the fiberglass reproductions, and changes the airflow over the bodyfront. I recall the 911 line (new and improved 356) employs the flat inclined front hood for aerodynamic benefit. I favor the 550 prototype (no plug O:) ) full windscreen which has a flat base........but what are you gonna do?
Life is full of things earnestly desired, but never attained. :(
Ohhhhhh........I'm a lumberjack and I'm OKAY,
prototype4
Old Timer
Old Timer

Postby Bert » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:30 pm

I would say an accurate look to the car but supercar stats. So I'd want the car to be able to hook up better and not have to feather the throttle. So, getting the power to the ground and much better braking. I already have 4 wheel disks but even still our Prius stops better. Wow, that sounds bad.

Finally, as light as possible so we don't have to have ridiculous amounts of HP/Torque.
Bert
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Charles » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:08 pm

And functioning key-locks for the front & rear lids will be a big improvement over those damn latches
Charles
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Aussiespyder » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:42 pm

The group has probably succesfully described a Boxster!!

Remember we are wanting to own recreations of a hand built car built in the mid 50's. Sure making it look more authentic is fine but in my view that is where it stops - I like the idiosyncrasies of what is still a hand built car that doesn't roll off a 21st century production line. Half the fun is is the tweaks we have to do late at night in the solitude of your own garage.
Aussiespyder
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby WILL » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:06 pm

Ken:
For What It's Worth, I TOTALLY AGREE !!
Someone Once Said To Me That A Miata was \"AN MG THAT WORKS\".
I Disagree!!
The Issue Is Personal Involvement, Including yourself and your friends.
With The MIATA There Is Zero Involvement. With The \"MG\" Or \"SPYDER REPLICA There Is Major Involvment. Mr. Leno Illustrates This Constantly on His WebSite. OK Buds, I will step down from My Soapbox!!
WILL
WILL
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Dream

Postby Ralphc » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:21 pm

I hear you, but bump steer sucks!
Ralphc
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby danstern » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:43 am

I'm with Aussie.
When I want adventure on a road trip I take a motorcycle, or better yet, the Spyder. It never fails to provide involvement. (Sometimes more than I bargained for.)
Dan
Dan
Quantum Mechanic, Black Holes refilled, Quarks repaired
Vintage #74, 2109cc
danstern
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby YamaBice » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:58 am

Dan, isn't it cool how much the Spyder FEELS like a four-wheeled motorcycle? My wife used to ride pillion with me on the bike, but we don't use any auxiliary communication, so it's difficult to talk when need be. With the Spyder, she's right beside me instead of behind me, so I can lean over and talk in her ear...or give her a kiss. And vice-versa if I'm lucky!

I've found that when we want to go for a ride, we take the Spyder now. I use the bike only for solo sorties through the twisties.
YamaBice
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby beck688 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:05 am

I'd much rather have a toy that requires me to pay some \"dues\" over some doctors wife's car. If it dosen't have quirks -- if you don't have to hold your tongue just right to get it to start, then where's the sense of accomplishment.

On the other hand building an all out outlaw has its appeal but forget about it being a Spyder - it's just another race car. (I really like Angela's car and there was that yellar one with the inboard shock aborbers)
beck688
Old Timer
Old Timer

Postby YamaBice » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:20 am

beck, it's funny, because I had always wanted an MR2 Spyder since I'm a pretty big fan of Toyotas. So, a few years ago, I found one in Texas with less that 10,000 miles on it. It was British Racing Green with a tan leather interior and a tan softtop. It also had SMT, which was Toyota's version of paddle shifters with buttons on the wheel that you had to shift manually. The car was beautiful...

...but I had it less than a year.

I used it to bankroll my 550 Spyder purchase. The MR2 was just too refined. It felt like a third commuter car in our household, not an exceptional vehicle to drive when you wanted to DRIVE. We have an Avalon and a Matrix, and I could barely feel the difference in the MR2.

I feel the difference in the 550 Spyder. Boy, do I EVER :^)
YamaBice
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby beck688 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:20 am

My wife has an MR2 Spyder -- it has air conditioning is good on gas is sprightly (actually handles very well ) and is very reliable.

But it is like an appliance and doesn't elicit much emotional attachment.
beck688
Old Timer
Old Timer

Postby YamaBice » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:09 am

Precisely.
YamaBice
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Match the original!

Postby braoley » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:59 pm

A more accurate clamshell and body. All of the other items can be in your option list when building. A headlight system that can actually be aimed. An extended frame with built in jack points would be nice and the original belly pan.

Later [^:]
braoley
Starting Member
Starting Member

PreviousNext

Return to Special Edition, Inc.