New and improved genuine VDO gauges

This is the marketplace forum for Special Editions, Inc., builder of 550 and 356 replicas (1-16-14 pd)

Moderators: Larry Jowdy, WasserSpyder, 24+yearsinthebiz

New and improved genuine VDO gauges

Postby WasserSpyder » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:05 am

We have received and are testing the final production samples of our new gauges. This has been a joint venture between us (Special Edition/Beck) and Intermeccanica. The goal was to make a QUALITY gauge in the vintage 356 style. As you can imagine, it is not easy for two small companies to take on something like this with a company as large as VDO... and there were some compromises along the way in order to get these produced. In the end I feel we have created a retro-modern gauge that is very similar to the original gauges, MUCH higher quality, 2 year warranty directly from VDO (no more China-crap gauges that just don't last)
A few more modern indications on the gauge faces, but I don't feel they detract from the look or vintage feel.
We were able to keep the oil temp and fuel senders the same.
They are 100mm, just as the originals (replicas, both old VDO and China are 105mm) We are working on several solutions for retro fitting these gauges to your existing 105mm holes.
GPS speedometer with 200,000 pulse per minute refresh rate.
Electronic odometer and trip.
Fully sealed gauge cases (old style gauges can fog up and get dusty inside)

We are testing these in a car now and once approved we will begin the production runs.

We do not yet have final pricing, but the goal was also to keep them inline with what the old VDO gauges cost, and all of our cost estimates and amortized tooling costs indicate that we will meet this goal.

Carey Hines
Special Edition, Inc.
www.beckspeedster.com
WasserSpyder
Moderator-Contributing Vendor

Re: New and improved genuine VDO gauges

Postby sjgharib » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:06 am

Pics?
Also, tach details? Are you planning on making versions with different redlines?
Cheers
Simon
sjgharib
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby WasserSpyder » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:36 am

Pic is attached above. Not sure why you wouldn't be able to see it. I even reduced the size in Photobucket, but when I view the photo the right 1/3rd is cut off...
No different versions are planned at this time. It may be possible to get NH Speedo or Palo Alto to make changes, but it was hard enough to get these done with VDO in one style...
Carey Hines
Special Edition, Inc.
www.beckspeedster.com
WasserSpyder

Postby WasserSpyder » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:05 am

The first 40 sets have arrived and are already over 1/2 gone! They look GREAT and after a few re-works with VDO the final versions have performed perfect so far.

I am VERY pleased to announce that the gauges came in at just under $600 per 3pc set (2/16/14) This is only about 15% over the current cost of the China repops, and over 50% cheaper than what it normally costs having them hand made by NH Speedo!!!

Most people WILL need to add a GPS speed sensor (not included). It is the standard VDO unit, widely available (including through us). VDO says the speedo can be wired to work off of a Hall effect sender, which some of you already have. I believe Henry is testing this now, but it does take programming the gauge.

I can provide part numbers for the fuel sender and the oil senders in order for you to check compatibility. These items are still stock VDO VW senders that most of you already have.

Kevin just added them to his eBay parts store or you can call/e-mail directly.

We cannot offer our normal SpyderClub member discount on these gauges, HOWEVER I will throw in a Spyder gauge insert panel for free (normally $100) when you mention SpyderClub.
Carey Hines
Special Edition, Inc.
www.beckspeedster.com
WasserSpyder

Postby FERNANDO FERNANDEZ » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:44 am

cary

i just got back to this site and saw this . i am nterested in the gauges but i have a question. i hjave a beck.i think that the dashboard where the gauges go isis a solid piece and not a separate unit ???

do you know someone in miami that could install this .
FERNANDO FERNANDEZ
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby WasserSpyder » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:23 am

Yes it is all one piece, this insert just goes over top of the existing holes. Most people paint it in hammer-tone aluminum but some polish or engine turn the insert.

I don;t have any shops in Miami that have done these before but I do have a few good VW shops in the area and it should not be a difficult task to do.
Carey Hines
Special Edition, Inc.
www.beckspeedster.com
WasserSpyder

Return to Special Edition, Inc.