Spyder DBP backlog

This is the marketplace forum for Special Editions, Inc., builder of 550 and 356 replicas (1-16-14 pd)

Moderators: Larry Jowdy, WasserSpyder, 24+yearsinthebiz

Spyder DBP backlog

Postby BillW » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:56 pm

Can anyone tell me how long the lead time for the current Spyder DBP package is?
BillW

Re: Spyder DBP backlog

Postby danstern » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:45 pm

What's a DBP package and from who?
Dan
Quantum Mechanic, Black Holes refilled, Quarks repaired
Vintage #74, 2109cc
danstern
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby BillW » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:15 am

danstern wrote:What's a DBP package and from who?

Special Edition has a Deluxe Body Package, includes everything except suspension, transaxle and engine. Also, I have been looking at a couple of older Beck Spyders, mid and late 90's. I would like to know what upgrades to design, fasteners, components ect. have evolved over the years up to the current edition. The only thing I'm aware of is the change to cable operated shifting. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
BillW

Postby danstern » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:53 am

Why not just call Carey and ask both the lead time and change questions.
Dan
Vintage #74, 2109cc
danstern
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RS-60 mark » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:30 am

Welcome to the "club" BillW. Take danstern's advice and call Carey at Special Editions. I personally have never bought anything from Special Editions. On the other hand I have never (never ever) heard of anything but complements from those that have -- and I have been hearing this for the past 14 years I've been on the Board (and over on speedsterownersclub too). The customer service support I have witnessed happening on these Boards coming from Special Editions over these years has been nothing short of jaw-dropping excellent. Don't be reluctant to give them a call by wrongly thinking you'll get some kind of high-pressure sales-job just for the sake of their "taking an order". Call Carey, share your dream, follow his guidance, it can happen for you.
RS-60 mark
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby BillW » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:20 pm

Thanks for your advise danstern, I was under the impression that I needed to go through a dealer and was having no luck attempting to contact the one in Colorado. This morning I called Carey. He was not in, but I had the most delightful chat with his Dad. Kevin answered all of my questions and then some. He mentioned they no longer sell through dealers, direct only. That explained the difficulties I was experiencing. He even explained how to modify the front air intakes to enable functional brake cooling. I'm going to take him up on his invitation to visit their facility in Bremen. I'm ready to place an order as soon as I can decide on red or black interior over silver, leaning towards red.
BillW

Postby RS-60 mark » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:27 am

get ready for fun!!
RS-60 mark
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby danstern » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:58 am

Spyders are amazingly fun experiences. You will greatly enjoy it. :D
Dan
Vintage #74, 2109cc
danstern
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby BillW » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:09 pm

Today I Ordered a Spyder Body Package, silver with black carpeting, heated red seats with black stitching and piping, removable roll bar, oil cooler grill, & helmet fairing. Lead time is 4-6 months. I visited the Special Edition production facility yesterday and was given a tour by Kevin and Carey. They had several Spyder orders being assembled at the time. I was sold on Beck before my visit, and the trip sealed the deal. I will be adding the motor, trans, wide 5 wheels, suspension, brake systems and steering components after I haul it home. I have a new 1776 cc engine with Weber 40's waiting. I plan to use the new 4-2-1 Monza exhaust system they showed me and have it ceramic coated silver. I will be ordering a Pro-street transaxle from Rancho with a 3:88 R&P. I have not decided on steering wheel type or other small details yet.
Attachments
image.jpg
BillW

Postby danstern » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:16 am

CONGRATULATIONS !!
You will have great fun with an amazing car. =D>
Dan
Vintage #74, 2109cc
danstern
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RS-60 mark » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:28 pm

Good for you Bill!! By the way, outstanding choice on that exhaust! Pricey but perfect, it would be the ONLY way to go if I were ordering a new spyder or starting a new project. ( However I think they are more commonly referred to as the Porsche "Sebring" exhaust.) Your exhaust is a distinctively authentic reproduction of what the factory put on the tail of the 4-cammers, which 50 years later became the mother of inspiration for the single stinger exhaust design cue on Boxters and Caymans. I don't mean to take away anything from the Magnaflow exhaust systems that are available elsewhere, they are also nice, but they don't have anything in common with the authentic look (or sound) of your Sebring.
RS-60 mark
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby BillW » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:02 am

Sebring, yes not Monza thank you for the correction. Was white the authentic exhaust system color?
BillW

Postby RS-60 mark » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:38 pm

Keep in mind this exhaust "pipe" was behind the 4-cam racing engine. Back in those days, exhaust tail pipes on racing cars were intended to be only that: a tail pipe (not pretty glitter) on a disposable race car. I don't know if they were originally factory painted at all; I suspect not. The ones I have seen (in pictures or for-real) are most commonly unpainted, otherwise I've seen flat black, flat white, and even flat baby blue. So I don't think there is any "rule" and if they are painted at all it is probably an owner's aftermarket preference.

Also, as a matter of authenticity -- the Sebring exhaust is a distinctive design cue commonly associated with the 718 Spyder (RSK, RS-60), Porsche Abarth, and 356 Carrera. Early 550s had an exhaust system layout that placed the resonator cans further forward under the belly pan (rather than all the way back at the tail "Sebring style"). The Sebring exhaust seems to have appeared on the 550 at about the time of the 550A. The commercially available reproduction Sebring exhaust like yours has only been around for a few years, so your project timing is lucky. It wasn't around years ago when I was desperately looking for one during my RS-60 project.
RS-60 mark
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Return to Special Edition, Inc.