AUTHORIZED CHAMONIX DEALERS IN USA

This is the marketplace forum for Special Editions, Inc., builder of 550 and 356 replicas (1-16-14 pd)

Moderators: Larry Jowdy, WasserSpyder, 24+yearsinthebiz

Postby 24+yearsinthebiz » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:20 am

AJK,

Thank you.

I fully expected the skepticism, and consider it a \"healthy attribute\" when dealing with strangers, and especially in an industry with a history of scams and wild claims.

As a person who has remained very much in the background, I am relatively unknown in the spyder community.

My days as front man for PUMA, Lafer, ENVEMO, Adamo, Avallone (all small Brazilian Mfgrs.) etc. are long gone.

One day I will make a list of these old projects, and the magazines they were covered in at the time, just for fun. I still have most of them in my files somewhere.

In the meantime, we are here to assist new and existing customers, and move forward with all of our projects. We welcome these questions, and I will answer them in an honest and open manner.

Again, thank you for your questions and comments.

Kevin Hines
24+yearsinthebiz

Postby Ed Black » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:28 am

When (if ever) will we see the Lobini in the states? I will be replacing my Toyota MR-2 Spyder in a couple of years and this looks like a better choice than an Elise...

Yer Pal,
Ed Black
Keep 'Em Guessing
Ed Black
Old Timer
Old Timer

Postby Wayner » Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:20 pm

Here is another link:

(Simon they even mentiona thong in this article!!) [:0]
http://www.jalopnik.com/cars/news/brazi ... 120836.php
Wayner
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Simonster » Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:36 pm

well gosh, if thong and wax aren't included at $25K, it's not really much of a deal, is it?

although waxing is overrated. i prefer to go \"au natural,\" as it were.
All hail The Simonster
Simonster
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Lobini

Postby 24+yearsinthebiz » Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:20 pm

Chamonix was doing some contract work for Sr. Lobo, and his partner whose name escapes me, although I've met them both over the years.

LOB from Lobo, and the INI is from the end of the second guys name.

Over the past 3 years or so, Chamonix has done some tooling and lamination work for the Lobini. I've driven the yellow one, and a red one once each, different suspension setups was the main change.

All I can really tell you is that each time I visited Chamonix (to work on our replica projects) Newton seemed incresingly frustrated with the Lobini subcontract work he was doing.

It looked to me (strictly from the outside) that the Lobini group was really into making prototypes, testing and making more prototypes.

I took a drive with the partner who's name I can not remember (the INI guy). He was a young engineer, enthusiastic, but sadly uneducated on the world automobile market.

The long and the short of it - I would not hold your breath for the intro of this car.

My last visit to Chamonix I noticed an absense of Lobini altogether, and did not ask questions.

I go back in a few weeks, and I'll let you know if the project has resurfaced, moved on to their own facility, or what.

Too bad really, I thought the design had a certain contemporary flair to it.

Kevin
24+yearsinthebiz

Postby DannyP » Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:10 am

Gee, Ed, will the sky fall? I thought you stated once that you would never not have a Spyder. Two Spyders, no waiting now becomes no Spyders, all waiting!
2016 Vintage
DannyP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby WasserSpyder » Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:22 am

Ed,
I also had a chance to drive the Lobini, with Fabio (\"the INI guy :D \")
It was prototype 4 or 5, which had a much larger engine, bigger (aftermarket) turbo, HUGE Brembo brakes. The thing was LIGHTNING fast, really handled well, and had tremendous stopping power, but they were getting close to the $50K range with all of the extras/power.
They were on their 3rd generation hood, wanted different side scoops, couldn't decide if the headlights should be covered or uncovered, blah, blah. There was no real \"introduction\" date in sight...

Carey
Carey Hines
Special Edition, Inc.
www.beckspeedster.com
WasserSpyder
Moderator-Contributing Vendor
Moderator-Contributing Vendor

Postby Ed Black » Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:32 am

Well, should a miracle happen, I shall simply rebadge the car as a Lobini Spyder. There are plenty of gold plated Spyder badges around. I rather hope that they return to the stock VW turbo. At 1800 pounds that mill should suffice and not suffer for lack of parts. Perhaps in my dotage I'll just make do with my 1950 GMC Pick Up and two Harleys.
Yer Pal,
Ed Black
Keep 'Em Guessing
Ed Black
Old Timer
Old Timer

Postby Simonster » Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:00 pm

you should at least have the spyder script powdercoated matte black or something...
All hail The Simonster
Simonster
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby gtwatson » Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:29 pm

Ed Black wrote: ... I rather hope that they return to the stock VW turbo. At 1800 pounds that mill should suffice and not suffer for lack of parts. .

Is that the TDI turbo diesel? It should get good fuel economy. Are you going to brew your own bio-diesel?
George
A storehouse of worthless information.
gtwatson
Old Timer
Old Timer

Postby Wayner » Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:54 pm

Ed, you know what they say:

Spyders will get you through times of no sex better than sex will get you through times of no spyders...or somthing like that ](*,)
Wayner
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Simonster » Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:45 am

well, i tried paying for a spyder, and that didn't work, so perhaps i should try paying for sex?
All hail The Simonster
Simonster
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Wayner » Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:10 am

Simon, you should become a priest...
Wayner
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Simonster » Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:17 am

no thanks. not into little boys...
All hail The Simonster
Simonster
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby laneco » Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:44 am

You guys are all mistaken. Sex is more important than spyders. In fact, my husband ranks it somewhere just above food and well before shelter! All teasing aside, that Lobini is really neat looking. You know, its odd how many of the conversations amongst us segue from cars to sex... Not that that's a bad thing.

Carey, thank you for addressing the issues I mentioned. Greatly appreciated and shows a solid interest in the continued development of your product. Resetting the trip meter while moving is exactly what I often do. I forget to reset it until I'm pulling out of the gas station and then set while moving... Problem is that sometimes it goes to 13 miles, sometimes 49 etc before it freezes. The speedo was calibrated for my tire size and I would not have expected it to be accurate from the factory due to that. The guage condensation was a problem prior to sending them to Palo Alto. In fact, now only one guage condensates, so its an improvement. The fuel guage did not work with the VW tank and this is consistently a problem (check threads on this and other sites). I had it recalibrated but I noticed on this last trip that it is not reading acurately again.

The stitching issue you describe is what we have experienced plus there are two places that there was evidently a defect in the leather where the material is gathered into a dart and simply sewn together rather than moving the pattern to an area that was not defective.

In order to get the headlamps to adjust fully and not vibrate, we used a trick that the speedstah guys told us about (they have the same headlamps). It involves taking the assembly apart and using fuel hose on the adjuster screw. Wall-la - headlamps adjust properly and don't vibrate.

Looking forward to seeing your cars and very glad that you are addressing issues to \"improve the breed.\" See ya on the road. angela
laneco
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

PreviousNext

Return to Special Edition, Inc.