Transportation Issues

This is the marketplace forum for Special Editions, Inc., builder of 550 and 356 replicas (1-16-14 pd)

Moderators: Larry Jowdy, WasserSpyder, 24+yearsinthebiz

Transportation Issues

Postby 24+yearsinthebiz » Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:26 am

An open call for suggestions.

O.K. , here goes. Gentlemen, start your joke engines. That's O.K., (but I am serious too.)

Quite simply put I would like to know if any of you members have any good suggestions for car/kit hauling companies/individuals.

It is getting slower and more difficult here in Indiana to get thes finished product picked up and delivered to the customer. It is sometimes taking longer than the build time itself!

I credit this to expensive fuel, and the trucks not moving around 1/2 empty to complete a load. (I do not blame them, diesel is over $3.00 a gallon here.)

So, anyone with a contact for a commercial or independent trucker, (with proper credentials and proof of insurance) up and down either coast, or between them, please pass it on to me.

thanks,

Kevin
24+yearsinthebiz

Postby tim johnson » Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:13 am

Several months ago I had a '57 Morgan shipped from Santa Monica, California to Bellevue, Washington by Hog Haulers. The dealer who I bought the car from recommended them. www.hoghaulersinc.com
They ship both cars and motorcycles and are based in Portland, Oregon. I had a good experience with them, but only have had one car shipped with them so far. They're a west coast company, but do run east and west, as well.
My car had to sit over a three day weekend in Portland in a warehouse because they needed to fill a truck before it continued up to Washington. They did say that if I insisted, they would have run the car up, by itself on a truck. I thought that was pretty decent, but waited the extra weekend. They did say this is driven by the cost of fuel, and believe me this was a big covered tractor trailer with double stack storage.
Just my .02
tim johnson
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby targaflorio1956 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:58 am

Like most of us, I've had some really bad experiences with car haulers. But I heard that FedEx just got into the car hauling business. I haven't used them yet, but FedEx has a great reputation as a package carrier. Let's hope it translates into their new endevour.

Cheers,
n.
targaflorio1956

Postby DannyP » Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:03 pm

I had my car delivered by Intercity Lines, couldn't be more pleased by their professionalism and service.
2016 Vintage
DannyP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby AJK » Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:08 pm

Intercity is hands down the best! IMHO Their business is shipping collector cars, most worth much more than our Spyders. They use covered trailers with internal lifts to stack the cars. Delivery right to your door. The majority of the cars shipped to Pebble Beach this year came in Intercity trucks, based in the truck parking lot outside the gate.

Do not use a common carrier such as Dependable Auto Shippers. They transfer your car from truck to truck using a hub system much like the airlines. Takes forever and your car is open to the elements for a month or more. Chuck used to use them and then switched to Intercity.
AJK
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Simonster » Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:34 pm

there's a motorcycle delivery service that i heard about recently. they have special motorcycle frames in their trucks, so the bike doesn't have to be crated. they pick-up and deliver locally instead of outfits like forward air that require crating and that you to go to their shipping centers.

i know that doesn't help with spyders, but it's a good thing nonetheless.
All hail The Simonster
Simonster
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Wayner » Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:40 pm

Wayner
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby TerryB » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:34 pm

The only problem with Intercity that I am aware of is their lack of service during the Barrett-Jackson Auctions in the winter. Seems every one of their trucks is in Scottsdale AZ either hauling stock to the auction or hauling purchased vehicles to their new owners.
TerryB
Old Timer
Old Timer

Postby mike550spyder » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:50 pm

I picked up a Cobra Replica a month ago delivered from MI to CA using InterCity and was slightly delayed due to the Pebble Beach Concours but otherwise service was excellent and I would use them again.

Mike
mike550spyder

Postby mookdog » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:37 pm

i used Horseless Carriage. White glove all the way. $1500 LA-NY.
mookdog
Starting Member
Starting Member

Thanks

Postby 24+yearsinthebiz » Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:50 pm

Gentlemen, thanks for all of the input. It has been very helpful. We appreciate it very much.

Kevin Hines
24+yearsinthebiz

Postby DannyP » Sat Nov 05, 2005 4:49 pm

mookdog, where in NY are you?
2016 Vintage
DannyP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Return to Special Edition, Inc.