New US Spec Racer underway

This is the marketplace forum for Special Editions, Inc., builder of 550 and 356 replicas (1-16-14 pd)

Moderators: Larry Jowdy, WasserSpyder, 24+yearsinthebiz

Postby DannyP » Fri May 26, 2006 12:53 pm

That looks really cool! Geez, and after looking at all those speedsters, I was thinking of something a little more practical to go along with the Spyder............Let's see, Speedster or Spyder today, tough choice......
2016 Vintage
DannyP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby WasserSpyder » Tue May 30, 2006 4:38 pm

Pip. you can be one of the few... I have very few customers with both a speedster and a spyder (two I think), although they are VERY different beasts. MANY people who call aren't sure which one they want, but once you explain the major differences they generally don't have much trouble making a decision,. based on what they want to use it for.

C
Carey Hines
Special Edition, Inc.
www.beckspeedster.com
WasserSpyder
Moderator-Contributing Vendor

Postby Wayner » Wed May 31, 2006 4:10 am

Regarding this racer, I'm pleasantly amazed by all of the variations on the spyder theme. I like the idea of the splitter added to the air dam.
Wayner
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Simonster » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:05 am

carey, or better yet, valerie, any update on this???
All hail The Simonster
Simonster
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Simonster » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:21 pm

i'm getting kinda tingly with the thought of painting up one of carey's spec racers to be an homage to the porsche rs spyder and match my new jacket...

All hail The Simonster
Simonster
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby WasserSpyder » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:28 pm

Simon,

I'll try and stop by my mold maker's shop this weekend and take some shots of the street version we're working on now. I had a customer in VA who wanted this \"racer\" look, but did not like quick change panels. He has us bonding and floating all the panels to flow smoothly, frenching in some LED brake/turn lights, and making mods to the front air dam so we can fit the stock spyder headlights. Also, he wanted this on an aircooled platform, rather than the watercooled...

Other than that, we're playing with a lot of various small stuff for this project. I've been fortunate enough to have customers who liked some of the things I have in mind, and have allowed me to incorporate them on their standard body cars as a test bed. We're playing with a beautiful aluminum ITB set-up. Currently on the 8v motor, but I expect to have a plenum soon so we can run them on the 20V turbo motor as well. We have a wheel company (Work Wheels) making us a few sets of their VSXX wheels. Personally, not my cup 'o tea, but lightweight and scratch built to any spec, which is VERY handy (unfortunately they are DAMN expensive).
Carey Hines
Special Edition, Inc.
www.beckspeedster.com
WasserSpyder

Postby WasserSpyder » Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:22 am

Simon,

I haven't had the opportunity to get you any photos yet, but haven't forgotten about ya. Just too damned busy, even for the thonged wonder... sorry.

We're officially closed until the 2nd, but I can't stay away that long so I'll try to get that done for you over \"break\".
Carey Hines
Special Edition, Inc.
www.beckspeedster.com
WasserSpyder

Postby Simonster » Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:35 am

lol. no worries. i'm traveling for the next few weeks anyway on vacation.

best wishes for a safe an happy holiday season, everybody!
All hail The Simonster
Simonster
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby porschebmw » Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:53 pm

Carey,

I sold some spyder parts to a guy in Germany about 4 months ago who sent me photos of new 550 spec racers there. He was wondering if I had heard that they were doing this in Germany. I told him I hadn't seen any posts yet. I'll dig for the photos and try to post them here.

Mark
porschebmw
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby porschebmw » Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:20 pm

2007 German Spec 550 Racers
Attachments
Spyderrenninterlagos.gif
Spyderrenninterlagos.gif (43.59 KiB) Viewed 14660 times
porschebmw
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby WasserSpyder » Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:35 am

Cool, thanks. I know that many of the first few versions of the 550R were sold across the globe, so it could be one of those, or some other derivation... Would be interested to see some photos.
Carey Hines
Special Edition, Inc.
www.beckspeedster.com
WasserSpyder

Postby WasserSpyder » Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:43 am

After I entered the message the photos appeared. Guess I have to be logged in to see them...

Yes, I have seen those cars. They are one of the VERY first versions of the racecar which developed into the \"spec racer\" due to aerodynamic necessity.

The guy in the white shirt is Newton, head of our factory.
Carey Hines
Special Edition, Inc.
www.beckspeedster.com
WasserSpyder

Postby WasserSpyder » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:18 am

So the street version is finally moving forward again. All the panels have been permanently bonded with a methyl methacrylate based resin cement. Then glassed in and now they are being floated out. I expect to have the car in primer by the end of next week and we'll decide what color. It is being prepped as if it were going black, so we'll be fine with anything.
We've decided to make some new inner wheel wells and also a panel for the doors that smooths the transition from old panels to new panels as it crosses there.

Carey Hines
Special Edition, Inc.
www.beckspeedster.com
WasserSpyder

Postby Larry Jowdy » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:46 am

Carey, what governing body is setting the \"specifications\" for this car???

In another post, you alluded to a choice of engines which is not customary with \"spec\" cars. It's always been my experience that a \"spec\" race car is fitted with an engine that's exactly the same as all the other cars and, all cars are equipped \"exactly\" the same. In other words, the first car built has exactly the same \"chassis, body, engine and suspension as the last car built.
Larry Jowdy
Site Administrator
Larry Jowdy
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

Postby WasserSpyder » Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:15 am

Larry,

The project is being headed by a friend who is a partner at VIR. I will have to ask him the details. To date I have been in the dark about the fine details. There are several versions that we are playing with to find the best combo for the watercooled car. To answer your question, yes, once we decide what path the full blown project will take, I was told that all cars have to be built to the same spec. Since it is a new, standalone project, I am also under the impression that we can pick any direction in terms of drivetrain.
The comment about varied drivetrains was not directed specifically towards the \"spec\" car, rather the possibilities in this general platform/look.
Carey Hines
Special Edition, Inc.
www.beckspeedster.com
WasserSpyder

PreviousNext

Return to Special Edition, Inc.