New US Spec Racer underway

This is the marketplace forum for Special Editions, Inc., builder of 550 and 356 replicas (1-16-14 pd)

Moderators: Larry Jowdy, WasserSpyder, 24+yearsinthebiz

Postby Larry Jowdy » Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:25 am

Carey, thanks for the reply...

It sure must be fun being on the ground floor of a project that could easily be a \"BIG\" and exciting venture.

Another avenue that must be undertaken is crash worthyness. Will a roll cage and driver protection system be installed?? If so, are you involved with that aspect?

Best of luck with this project. (for our Canaidan friends Proo-ject)
Larry Jowdy
Site Administrator
Larry Jowdy
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

Postby WasserSpyder » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:19 am

Larry,

Thanks, and yes I do have fun sometimes... ;)

Full cage in the spec car. Not 100% sure of the design, but I have a shop in S. Michigan that builds chassis and cages for drag cars. They do all my roll bars and they will be designing this stuff as soon as I am able to give them the requirements. Since the spec car will have no passenger's side, I personally was leaning towards something along the lines of what you see in a dragster. Not sure how much my opinion will weigh in the final decision...
Carey Hines
Special Edition, Inc.
www.beckspeedster.com
WasserSpyder
Moderator-Contributing Vendor

Postby WasserSpyder » Fri May 23, 2008 11:48 am

Well, the body work is finally done! We'll be fitting the mechanicals and making any final changes for clearance purposes before it gets painted.

We built in a recess in the rear stabilizers for 2 LED strips so we can have all the road lights. Found a great set of sealed 7\" halogen lights that have a built in turn signal and drop right into the stock headlight assembly. Slowly but surely...

Carey Hines
Special Edition, Inc.
www.beckspeedster.com
WasserSpyder

Postby egrant5329 » Fri May 23, 2008 1:31 pm

Carey,
I like it and can't wait to see the finished product. =D>

Stuff a turbo subie in there or one of Jake's latest porsche engines in there it would be a blast. What engine and price are you thinking for these?
egrant5329
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby WasserSpyder » Fri May 23, 2008 3:44 pm

This particular customer selected Misiano Red Pearl to match his new RS4, and I am anxious to see how it will look myself.
This is the one (and only, so far) aircooled version. There is an EFI 2332cc being built for it currently.
The more common version was originally going to be 1.8T powered (same engine as the car next to it) but nothing is concrete. I am a big fan of the Audi/VW powerplant, especially how quickly the little things spool!!!
No price point on the track version yet. Really need to finalize mechanicals, cage, and some of the track specific items. Of course I'm sure there are some required items that I haven;t been told about yet... #-o

This \"street\" version is more of a one off than anything else, but if I had to duplicate it, I'd guess it would come in around the mid 40's.
Carey Hines
Special Edition, Inc.
www.beckspeedster.com
WasserSpyder

Postby Natano » Sat May 24, 2008 7:49 am

Wow, Carey, that turned out amazing! Well proportioned - I can't wait to see it painted and complete
Natano
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Larry Jowdy » Sat May 24, 2008 8:03 am

It kind of resembles the 1959 Cadillac Cyclone \"General Motors Concept Car\" :D :D :D :D
Larry Jowdy
Site Administrator
Larry Jowdy
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

Postby tim johnson » Sun May 25, 2008 5:34 am

Those are some SERIOUS Dagmars! [:0]
tim johnson
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Guy_spyder550 » Sun May 25, 2008 10:31 am

Was thinking more of this at the rear.

Make that 2 headfairing, 2 single screens, a black paintjob and propane heater in the middle

Still think the gap a the front of the Spyder needs a flat splitter panel in there :)
Le Mans Classic - It's just like Goodwood Revival except with added Garlic
Guy_spyder550
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Spec Racer

Postby Ray Colbert » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:56 am

So what governing body is this being built for (SCCA, NASCAR other)???

What drive train will the car come with??

What is the cost of a turnkey vehicle??

I already hillclimb my Spyder in PA in the SCCA. I might be interested if the roll structure were correct and the price were right.

Ray Colbert
Pittsburgh PA
Ray Colbert
57 Vintage
Pittsburgh PA
Ray Colbert

Postby Greenberg » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:14 am

I love this car, man would it be fun to make one of these strictly for the track. Hmmmmmmm :-k
Ya gotta drive it like ya stole it!
Greenberg
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby YamaBice » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:58 am

Man, I'd probably rip the entire crotch out of my pants trying to get in the thing. The side spats widen the already pretty wide stretch you have to make to keep one foot on the ground and slide the other foot into the cockpit.

On second thought, I wonder if you can even do the \"left foot along the frame tube, then lift your right leg off the ground, rotate your hips, slide your right leg under the steering wheel, and in you go\" maneuver. I'm sure I'd crush \"the fellas\".

Carey, I'm still lamenting the fact that I made fun of yellow Spyders that time. They're really not that bad. And, hey, Banana Laffy Taffy is my all-time favorite candy.
YamaBice
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Wayner » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:36 am

How about a Halo style roll cage like some modern vintage racers run?
Wayner
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby WasserSpyder » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:34 am

Ray,

The original cars were built for the Brazilian equivalent of the SCCA. The car pictured above was built for a friend of the family who is involved with VIR, more or less a DE car. He is also the one that has several spec racers underway, but I do not know for what sanctioning body.

Sean, no worries on the yellow spyder... :) It still sits on the rack waiting for me to find the time to work on my own stuff.
The ground effects sit so low (about 1\" ground clearance) that they aren't obtrusive at all.

Wayner, my thoughts for the spec cars was just that. Something along the lines of what was done in the Blow It Up spyder.
Carey Hines
Special Edition, Inc.
www.beckspeedster.com
WasserSpyder

Previous

Return to Special Edition, Inc.