Watercooled turbo motor baseline dyno results

This is the marketplace forum for Special Editions, Inc., builder of 550 and 356 replicas (1-16-14 pd)

Moderators: Larry Jowdy, WasserSpyder, 24+yearsinthebiz

Watercooled turbo motor baseline dyno results

Postby WasserSpyder » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:08 am

I know Dr. D is waiting for this...

Our new *MILD* 1.8T Audi motor for the watercooled spyder is on the dyno.
Here are the baseline results at 9psi. Engine was built to handle over 20psi, and we are working on several maps that can be uploaded to the stand alone 034EFI, including one for race gas.

Still a few bugs to sort, but moving along nicely...

Should have the \"final\" dyno sheet in a few days.

Carey Hines
Special Edition, Inc.
www.beckspeedster.com
WasserSpyder
Moderator-Contributing Vendor

Postby Natano » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:56 am

Carey,
This is a motor dyno and not a chassis dyno, right?

Nathan
Natano
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby WasserSpyder » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:42 pm

engine dyno.

More dyno tuning runs today. Will post updated dyno sheet when I get it. Torque curve is a flat 200, without the low RPM spike.

Working on a few different maps with more aggressive boost, timing, and fuel curves.
Carey Hines
Special Edition, Inc.
www.beckspeedster.com
WasserSpyder

Postby WasserSpyder » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:08 pm

Final results for the baseline map are in. Really pleased with how linear the torque curve is... should be fun.

w/ cat

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a199/ ... ithCat.jpg

w/o cat

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a199/ ... lNoCat.jpg
Carey Hines
Special Edition, Inc.
www.beckspeedster.com
WasserSpyder

Postby drdriddle » Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:15 pm

Of Course i'm interested. one can never have too much power!!!!!! [):]
drdriddle
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Guy_spyder550 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:21 am

Guy_spyder550
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby baehr1 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:20 am

Well, nice engine,lots of power, lots of torque! Nevertheless i personally don't like these engines in a 550 Spyder - they are out of character! [-X
The suby engine is the same thing!
Wulf
baehr1
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Guy_spyder550 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:53 am

Doubt anyone on the forum has fitted a Type 547 DOHC Porsche lump to replica Spyder to make one in character
Guy_spyder550
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby John Jennings » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:44 am

Prestige did one...

http://www.spyderclub.com/phpbb2/viewto ... t=prestige

Not everyone has 60K Euros for the engine, though. I agree with Baehr, an aircooled flat-4 has a particular sound which is right for an 'old-school' replica build. Not everyone wants old-school, of course.
John Jennings
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Goofycat » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:33 pm

John Jennings wrote:Not everyone has 60K Euros for the engine, though. I agree with Baehr, an aircooled flat-4 has a particular sound which is right for an 'old-school' replica build. Not everyone wants old-school, of course.

It is nice to have an air-cooled flat four engine, but some of us don't have the expertise, time, energy, space, tools or motivation to mess with carburetion and other maintenance chores required by air-cooled engines. There comes a time when we just want to drive the car without all the hassles. I recently owned an air-cooled Spyder. Loved the car, but I found that I didn't want to fool with the maintenance issues. Period! The Subaru-powered car took care of those issues so that I could drive the car, instead of turning screwdrivers. As for the "sound," I can't distinguish the Suby sound from that of the air-cooled car I owned from late 2005 to August, 2006.

So, what I am saying, is that for some of us, there comes a time when practicality overrules originality, out of character or not.
Goofycat
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby WasserSpyder » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:36 am

Thanks for posting the links. It has been single digit weather here, which has slowed us down a bit (in terms of productivity/test driving) but yesterday and today have been unseasonably warm. I only mention this because I finally had the opportunity to take this car out for an extended drive.
Two words: HOLY $HIT!
Having driven many, many spyders with a wide variety of powerplants, this is one truly awesome combination. The small turbo spools very quickly, and that torque curve... did you see that torque curve? WOW!

I personally am a huge fan of aircooled. However, the watercooled stuff is REALLY beginning to grow on me. One of the nicest things about doing the Audi/VW stuff is the support we have received from Magnetti Marelli and VW. Remapping of the stock ECU allows anyone to troubleshoot any error codes just like any other OBD-II car. In the shop we run VAG-COM off the laptop, which is also VERY handy (and free for anyone).
This particular motor was not Brazil based and runs a stand-alone management, much like most of the suby installs I've seen. Nothing wrong with that, and it allows for a greater ability to tune, but again, there is something to be said for being able to drop by your local VW dealer for any service call. We are seeing more and more people who desire something like this.
Carey Hines
Special Edition, Inc.
www.beckspeedster.com
WasserSpyder

new...

Postby kool1 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:40 pm

[quote]I personally am a huge fan of aircooled. However, the watercooled stuff is REALLY beginning to grow on me. One of the nicest things about doing the Audi/VW stuff is the support (/qoute)
I agree 100%

:nana:
kool1
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Return to Special Edition, Inc.