What suspension design does your car have?

Use this forum for comment or questions regarding topics contained in the Tips, Tricks and Knowledge Forum

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

What suspension design does your car have?

Postby MikeGrady » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:27 am

I have a bare chassis 550 heading my way. It does not have any suspension pickup points welded on it. This means I can make it whatever I want it to be. I have friends that autocross and road race so I have plenty of things to view. I am very seriously considering making a fixture off of a Miata NC subframe and using it to place pickup points on my 550 chassis. This will allow me to use the modern geometry off a very popular car. The NC is the third generation Miata and it is very close to an RX8 in geometry. Long story short, I am still looking at other options. Porsche style strut setups are going to be tough because of the tall strut height.
What suspension designs are you guys using on your cars?
Thanks
MikeGrady
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: What suspension design does your car have?

Postby Larry Jowdy » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:19 am

Most everyone has a VW front beam and a swing axle with an occasional DeDeion or full IRS. There are companies who make suspension components such as: http://www.coolrydescustoms.com/store/c ... NSION.html

Any IFS and IRS will greatly add to the handling of a replic 550. Notably getting rid of the swing axle will give you the greatest improvement.
Larry Jowdy
Site Administrator
Larry Jowdy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What suspension design does your car have?

Postby MikeGrady » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:01 pm

I have seen the Mendeola suspension stuff. I don't like how the lower A-arm shock mount is so low. I have a tube chassis so I can do whatever I want. I'm not going to get crazy with cantilever shock setups or anything else exotic. Simple is usually better as long as the roll centers, camber gain, and bump steer are correct. My spindles are going to be fabricated because I want to use a Wilwood wide 5 hub off of a race car. It is bigger than a VW bolt center but they are super strong, light, provide great rotors, not very expensive. They also use larger bearings. It's going to be a good bit of work but I know the chassis needs some serious modifying anyway do I might as well do it all the way.
Thanks for any help.
MikeGrady
Starting Member
Starting Member

Return to Tips & Tricks Comment Forum (Post Here)