latches again

Use this forum for comment or questions regarding topics contained in the Tips, Tricks and Knowledge Forum

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

latches again

Postby wacopsc » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:28 am

Hi, new owner here with a low time Beck original 550. Driving and getting to learn the car ect. but the latches have given me occasional problems. I read ALL the posts ect but have come up with a simple solution that works for me and is reverse-able and causes no damage ect.

I cut two pieces of 8mm threaded rod and finished the ends nicely on a lathe. Each piece 2 3/4"
long
replaced the plunger with the rod, locked it in place with a nut and put the spring and moulded plastic washer back on with another nut with some tension on it.
Closed the clam and installed a washer and nut on the end of the rod on the other side of the latching mechanism and snugged it down thru the carb doors .
Its worth it for me to have to take a few minutes to open the clam this way instead of the noisy pop open and the attendant engine noise. Now just peaceful driving.........regards Paul
wacopsc
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: latches again

Postby egrant5329 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:53 am

Just get the reworked latches. It's an easy 10-15 minute fix, its done and no more problems. I don't know if everyone is selling them now, but I purchased mine from Greg at Vintage. After I did I wished I had done it sooner.
Ed
egrant5329
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby danstern » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:09 pm

+1 on Greg's latches. Vintage has a simple solution.
Dan
Quantum Mechanic, Black Holes refilled, Quarks repaired
Vintage #74, 2109cc
danstern
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Harry » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:29 pm

Thanks guys! Is Greg on the forum?
Harry
Starting Member
Starting Member

latches again

Postby egrant5329 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:30 am

His website is http://vintagespyders.com .
egrant5329
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby dlearl476 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:37 pm

Carey replaced my original kit latches with whatever everyone uses now a couple of years ago. I replaced my home made, bent metal piece of crap this winter with one of Greg's clamshell release levers this winter and I couldn't be happier.

Open and closes smooth as glass now.
dlearl476

Postby dlearl476 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:46 pm

wacopsc wrote:Hi, new owner here with a low time Beck original 550. Driving and getting to learn the car ect. but the latches have given me occasional problems. I read ALL the posts ect but have come up with a simple solution that works for me and is reverse-able and causes no damage ect.

I cut two pieces of 8mm threaded rod and finished the ends nicely on a lathe. Each piece 2 3/4"
long
replaced the plunger with the rod, locked it in place with a nut and put the spring and moulded plastic washer back on with another nut with some tension on it.
Closed the clam and installed a washer and nut on the end of the rod on the other side of the latching mechanism and snugged it down thru the carb doors .
Its worth it for me to have to take a few minutes to open the clam this way instead of the noisy pop open and the attendant engine noise. Now just peaceful driving.........regards Paul

Paul, no offence, but this sort of thing happens way too often in VW/Porsche world.

Having your clamshell bolted down is a recipe for disaster, IMO. One of the last one of my winter projects is to mount a fire extinguisher right next to my new clamshell release. I never want to have to take another picture like this again.

dlearl476

Return to Tips & Tricks Comment Forum (Post Here)