Weber carbs

Use this forum for comment or questions regarding topics contained in the Tips, Tricks and Knowledge Forum

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

Weber carbs

Postby SpeedwaySpyder » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:30 am

I pulled my Weber carbs and saw fuel in the heads. Seems that they are loosing it from the float bowl. No wonder when I go to start her, I have to wait for several turnovers before she starts. I am going to rebuild both carbs. Percolation does not seem to be the case as this happens even when I drive it out of the garage and just move it 50 feet then shut it down. It was not even warmed up. Seems to drain the float bowl into the each head. I can actualy soak it up with a paper towel. Think carb rebuilding will cure this?
SpeedwaySpyder
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Re: Weber carbs

Postby danstern » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:29 am

It won't even take a rebuild. The float presses on a tab that closes a needle into the orifice that fuel flows through. You also have fuel lines that are higher than the carb float (I surmise). The needle seats have dirt in them or the needles have worn enough so that they don't seat properly. The floats may also be set improperly or have begun to leak. Bottom line is you just need to get the floats to correctly shut off the fuel flow when the engine is stopped. So first step is examining the floats and their needle seats. If possible, you might want to reroute the fuel line so that it is no higher than the float shutoff.
Dan
Quantum Mechanic, Black Holes refilled, Quarks repaired
Vintage #74, 2109cc
danstern
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby SpeedwaySpyder » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:56 pm

You are right, I just got this car a few months ago. The fuel lines are higher than the carbs. Never thought of that. Have rebuild kits and new linkage anyway. Will do it all just to be safe . Car is Beck # 36. So everything is very old and worn. Thanks for your reply, much appreciated. Glad I saw this before that fuel ruined then cylinders. Car runs very strong with no smoke. Will do a compression check too.
SpeedwaySpyder
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby beck688 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:16 am

Just so you sleep better - I had a float valve stick on one of the carbs. It caught fire. I tried to keep it running to suck the fire into the engine but that kept the mechanical pump feeding the fire. the fire melted the horns (forget their purpose I would have to look) that sit in the center of the venturi and the air filter caughtfire. Fortunately I was turning into my drive when the fire started, the wire mesh on the air filters acts as a flame arrester so the fire didn't get hot enough to damage the fiberglass or paint . Cleaned up the carb replaced all the gaskets and the float valve - new air filter. Replaced the mechanical pump with an electric - with a dash mounted switch. Runs great because I while I had it all a part I also found the vacumn leak the caused the backfire that caused the ignition of the gas in the carb. I will never drive this car without having some kind of metal screen covering the carbs, and now I can shut off the fuel which would allow the fire to be sucked into the engine, until it goes out.
Oh sh*t -- It was rocket science!
That's how my brain works. It's not a perfect organ.
beck688
Old Timer
Old Timer

Return to Tips & Tricks Comment Forum (Post Here)