front suspension adustment

Use this forum for comment or questions regarding topics contained in the Tips, Tricks and Knowledge Forum

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

front suspension adustment

Postby RBP » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:54 pm

Seems to be info on the rear suspension but nothing for the front. If I adjust mine so that I have 1.5" with the car sitting on the ground it drives fine with just me in it. When I add a second person of my weight say 190 - 200 the tires rub. Just having someone sit in the car the suspension sags down an inch. Is this normal? How firm should the suspension be. What is the best way to adjust the front tension and ride height for a firm setting.
Vintage, 2316 Type IV
RBP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Re: front suspension adustment

Postby Larry Jowdy » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:23 am

There are several things you can do but, they required some work. You've already found that by adjusting the center adjuster you can raise and lower the car. The next thing is to buy stiffer torsion bar packs. They will still allow you to raise and lower the car but they will be much firmer causing a stiffer ride. Get in touch with SwayAway for stiffer torsion bars http://www.swayaway.com/vwleafsprings.php
Larry Jowdy
Site Administrator
Larry Jowdy
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

Postby RBP » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:02 am

So... my situation with the front is what is expected with the normal sprig pack? I should proceed with the understanding that I have nothing wrong and there is no other options using the existing spring pack. Are detailed instructions somewhere describing how to set tensions on front spring pack.
Vintage, 2316 Type IV
RBP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Larry Jowdy » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:35 am

Basically you can't set tension except with the add on front adjuster and all it does is basicallly is raise and lower the front end.
Larry Jowdy
Site Administrator
Larry Jowdy
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

Postby RBP » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:41 pm

L, I have 2 spring packs, an upper and lower. I was of the understanding than the lower is the tension and the upper is ride height. I have set the ride height as per the info I have found, i.e. so that there is about 1.5" between the top of the tire and the wheel well. I just am surprised that the entire car drops that much when you add 400 lbs in the seats. Is this to be expected?
Vintage, 2316 Type IV
RBP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Larry Jowdy » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:30 pm

Soft torsion spring packs are the problem or, someone removed a torsion bar?
Larry Jowdy
Site Administrator
Larry Jowdy
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

Postby RBP » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:45 pm

Do I replace both or just the lower one?
Vintage, 2316 Type IV
RBP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Larry Jowdy » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:27 am

I'd start by changing the lower, if that doesn't solve the problem then switch out the uppers
Larry Jowdy
Site Administrator
Larry Jowdy
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

Postby RBP » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:50 am

OK, Thanks for the advice Larry. Hope you and yours have a great Christmas season. You can think of me looking for and reading instructions on R&R spring pack and setup and working on my Spyder. Good thing I have a lift in the garage.
Vintage, 2316 Type IV
RBP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby dazeaway » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:23 pm

I would like to hijack this thread and try to solicit some additional information.

My spider is sitting on the wheels and I want to increase the ride height. what do I adjust first? I have the TR manual so I think I assembled everything correctly, but I need at least 2 more inches of height, probably three as with no one in the car I have 1/8" clearance only. I am very handy so I just need to know where to adjust?
dazeaway
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RBP » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:07 am

Get the car positioned so you can raise and lower the front end with some sort of lift mechanism and raise the car to remove weight from front end so that the tires just leave the ground. Next loosen the upper torsion bar centre adjuster. Once loose raise or lower the jack till you have 1.5" to 2" of space between the top of the tire and the wheel well finished opening, add an additional .5" then retighten the adjuster. Lower the car and remove the lift mechanism and you should be in business. The car should settle down and take the .5" and the 1.5" to 2" should still be there.
Vintage, 2316 Type IV
RBP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby dazeaway » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:46 am

Isnt there two of those adjusters one on the top beam and one on the bottom? I do not need to adjust them both, or am I remembering this wrong?
dazeaway
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RBP » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:13 am

There are 2 adjusters, one on the upper beam and one on the lower beam. You are adjusting the upper only. The lower one is for tension and the upper is the ride height. The lower beam should not need to be adjusted.
Vintage, 2316 Type IV
RBP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby dazeaway » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:14 am

ok so simple enough, I lift the car I loosen the top setting lower it two notches then tighten it up, lower car?

This should be it? I do not need to dissasemble the front steering components?
dazeaway
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RBP » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:14 am

I thought you wanted to increase the ride height not reduce it. If you want to increase it, your raise the car so no weight is on the tires, loosen the upper beam adjuster, raise the car till you have say 2.5" clearance between the outer wheel well and top of tire, tighten down the adjuster and lower the car. You should now have 2" of clearance between the top of the tire and the outer wheel well. Do the opposite if you want to lower the car. Check out this thread, it will clear up what's happening so you can better understand what has to happen. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=64301 also http://ca.search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=AwrBT ... %26t=13726
Last edited by RBP on Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Vintage, 2316 Type IV
RBP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Next

Return to Tips & Tricks Comment Forum (Post Here)