front suspension adustment

Use this forum for comment or questions regarding topics contained in the Tips, Tricks and Knowledge Forum

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

Re: front suspension adustment

Postby dazeaway » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:26 am

Sorry i do want to increase the height. I lower the bracket to lift the car. I will try tonight i will post what i get
dazeaway
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RBP » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:34 pm

You don't need to worry about lowering the clamp/bracket, just make sure the teeth are clean on both surfaces. As you raise the car the adjuster moves, when the car is in the position you want, add .5" for the weight of the car, tighten the bracket to the beam, lower the car and voila. Also check out this thread, really helps to understand what's happening http://ca.search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0LEV ... %26t=13726

Also this a good explanation http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=64301
Last edited by RBP on Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Vintage, 2316 Type IV
RBP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby dazeaway » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:59 pm

This seems so easy I cant wait to try it!
dazeaway
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RBP » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:08 pm

Well Daz, how did you make out? Were the links helpful?
Vintage, 2316 Type IV
RBP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby dazeaway » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:52 pm

I didn't get it to it last night I am going to tackle it this evening. But in the link it mentions taking off the top shock bolt. Is this required? Also how likely is it that I am going to get a busted knuckle from this coming loose?
dazeaway
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RBP » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:59 am

You are not removing the torsion bar.
You don't need to do anything other than raise the car (weight off wheels), loosen the upper beam centre adjuster, adjust ride height by raising car (wheels should stay where they are) then when in desired position add .5" height then re-tighten adjuster.
Vintage, 2316 Type IV
RBP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby DannyP » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:21 am

I adjusted my ride height with the lower adjuster. I have never moved the upper at all. Lower one is easier to get to as it is closer to you. Just make sure the teeth are clean and meshed before you tighten the jam nut. One guy on here or SOC(I forget) had a problem with the adjuster popping into a lower position after putting some weight on the car and driving a bit. The serrations were not engaging well and needed some cleanup with a file.
2016 Vintage
DannyP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby dazeaway » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:54 pm

OK so It did not work. But here is what happened.
I go tot he garage jack up the front of the car to put about 2.5 " of clearance between the wheels and fenders. Nice! I loosen the top bolt and then Bam! IT jumps perfect so far so good. OK the adjuster moved about two notches. Great, I tighten it lower the car and same height! HMMMM SO I jack it up again this time 3 " of clearance loosen the nut, it moves I retighten it an nothing Sitting .5 inches off the wheels. So neither one worked. ANy thoughts?
dazeaway
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RBP » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:14 pm

Daz, Is there a torsion bar in the beam? Did you install it? It sounds like there is a problem with the torsion bar. See the link above to Samba and you may have to pull the torsion bar out and reinstall it correctly. If you followed the above instruction it should have worked, it works on mine. Logically I think Danny is right both torsion bars do the same thing but I was told the bottom one is preloaded and that even with the wheels off the ground loosing that one will lose the pre load so I didn't play with it. Maybe Danny can provide more info on the preload and what each beams torsion pack is intended to do. My problem is I wanted to lower my car, so I adjusted my height for 1.5" with the car lowered. It works great with just me and say my wife at 100 lbs but when I added a friend at 200 the tires rub. I checked everything out and it seems just adding about 400lbs drops the car the much. I then pushed down on the fender to see how stiff the suspension was and found it too spongy. I am trying to figure out how to fix that.
Vintage, 2316 Type IV
RBP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby dazeaway » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:22 pm

Yes there is a torsion bar in the beam, I put it together, also without one the top Thingy, cant remember its exact name would have nothing to attach to. I will have to see if adjusting the lower one gives me any upside, I can also check to assure the set screw isn't too far out.
dazeaway
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RBP » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:39 am

You need to make sure the trailing arms are attached correctly and the set screw is solid in the dimple on the torsion bar. Same for the centre. The torsion bar (leaf pack) has to twist as you lower the car, if the set screws aren't solidly in the dimples the torsion bar will move and won't load.
Vintage, 2316 Type IV
RBP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby DannyP » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:58 am

In a stock bug upper and lower torsion bars have the same spring pack. They both provide springing so they both have the same function. Some builders remove a couple leaves to lessen the spring rate on Spyders as they are lighter, usually from the upper bar IIRC. I don't think the spring packs need to be re-installed, they only go in one way. I do remember that my front end was very stiff when new. You could pick up the fender an inch and it would stay there, doesn't do that now. I greased it and drove it and it loosened up after a few hundred miles. Greg at Vintage told me to remove the shocks and drive it for a while, but I didn't. My top beam adjuster is in the middle of the adjuster, and I've never moved it. The bottom is two or three steps off center.

I am using KYB GR-2 shocks. I found with the front end lowered I would bottom out a little. I removed the dust covers, cut off about half the rubber bump stop, then welded the covers back on. If I did it again, I'd only remove 1/3 of the bump stop, I think I took a little bit too much off.
2016 Vintage
DannyP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby dazeaway » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:41 am

OK I have adjusted both springs to the max, I only have about 1" of clearance, there is no way to get more out of what I have. So I was thinking that something may have been assembled incorrectly then as I was looking I realized there is almost no way for this to happen as everything is assembled meaning both spring sets etc have to be there. The spring packs I have came with the body and frame. I cannot remember if there was a few leafs removed from one or both, if there is I will buy a new set (complete) but in the mean time do these wear out? I mean what else could it be?
dazeaway
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RBP » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:46 am

Did you set the lower adjuster before the lower ball joint was fastened to the tailing arm.
Vintage, 2316 Type IV
RBP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby dazeaway » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:58 am

During original assembly the springs were secured before i assembled the wheel ends. During this adjustment i am just using the adjusters on the tubes
dazeaway
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

PreviousNext

Return to Tips & Tricks Comment Forum (Post Here)