front suspension adustment

Use this forum for comment or questions regarding topics contained in the Tips, Tricks and Knowledge Forum

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

Re: front suspension adustment

Postby RBP » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:41 pm

Did you use used or new spring packs (torsion bundles)? I've read other articles that state the lower ride height adjuster provides the majority of the ride height torque. This setting must be set prior to the lower ball joint being attached to the trailing arm.
Vintage, 2316 Type IV
RBP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby dazeaway » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:56 pm

I don't know if the springs were new or used they came with the body kit and I can't remember if I After the lower ball joint first or after I would assume after
dazeaway
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RBP » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:38 pm

Daz, There are only 3 possibilities, 1, the springs are old and have lost their tension, 2, someone removed to many leaves from the spring pack before installing it or 3, it is incorrectly installed. I am far from an expert on this and am having my own issue with front ride height, that's why I am interested in your issue as well. Wish I could be more help but if I were you I would think about getting a stiffer spring pack. Larry sent me this source http://www.swayaway.com/vwleafsprings.php I am looking at one as well.
Vintage, 2316 Type IV
RBP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby dazeaway » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:28 pm

well I removed the passenger side assemble (on the top anyway) there are 10 springs there 6 half width springs, both top and bottom and 4 large springs in the middle. so this looks stock no changes. I tried to remove the lower but it is stuck...... So I will try again in a little bit.

But I am in agreement, 1 removed too many springs (cant remember if I did) 2 assembled incorrectly, very likely I did it and it was my first one. 3 springs are just shot, they were definitely used. so maybe
dazeaway
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby beck688 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:45 pm

300.oo is pretty stout price -- AirCooled is a lot less

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Torsion-Le ... 1-107a.htm
Oh sh*t -- It was rocket science!
That's how my brain works. It's not a perfect organ.
beck688
Old Timer
Old Timer

Postby RBP » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:09 am

That is a great price. I don't see the dimple in the centre for the adjuster. How would one do that and what tooling would be required? Also the ones from the other source are 15% more rigid than stock.
Vintage, 2316 Type IV
RBP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby beck688 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:02 am

There will be a dimple -- that is not an unusual price -- CB perfomance has them at that price Cip has them. I never could figure out why SwayAway was so expensive. As far as 15 percent more rigid. The VW weighed 1800 lbs. , the Spyder weighs 1400 lbs so stock springs are pretty stiff in this application. I was wondering about the body roll in my car, I get to see Chuck Beck about once a month at C&O, he told me that is how they work, the best shock for the car is the standard bone stock VW shock. I have pushed this car pretty hard in the mountains, and it works pretty well, and Chuck probably knows a little bit about these cars. This actually surprised me, when I was working with sports racers in the 70s we built the suspension so tight you could feel a dime if you ran over it. That said I believe the best spring is probably the stock VW spring, I can not imagine them building the spring without the dimple, the dimple is part of the design, and you have to admit the price is a lot better than the SwayAway.
beck688
Old Timer
Old Timer

Postby DannyP » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:04 am

I agree, there is no reason to add stiffer leaves. Stock new should solve your problem. I don't agree about upper or lower doing more or different function( ride height versus spring rate) unless leaves are removed from top versus the bottom. The springs are the same stock so the spring rate and function has to be the same, the trailing arms are the same length(or very close) so the leverage is the same. The leaves all connect via the trailing arms to the same steering knuckle/wheel anyway.

I agree with Beck about spring rate, but I found the stock COFAP shocks to be too soft. I like the KYB GR2 in front, plus I have a stock Bug anti-sway bar on the front, no bar in the rear. I changed my Vintage rear coilovers to QA1 adjustables, set on 7 of 12 steps toward stiffest.
2016 Vintage
DannyP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby beck688 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:57 am

I think the top and bottom springs are both doing the same job too. The Vintage and the Beck have different rear set ups - I don't really feel a need for a sway bar.
beck688
Old Timer
Old Timer

Postby DannyP » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:07 am

=D> Glad you are happy with your setup. Personal preference and feel are up to the driver.
2016 Vintage
DannyP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby dazeaway » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:18 pm

I have mine figured out. I must have assembled them differently originaly as i took them apart and redid the front end now i have plenty of height. I actually had to adjust lower. Very nice now. Thank you for all the help
dazeaway
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby beck688 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:23 pm

DannyP wrote:=D> Glad you are happy with your setup. Personal preference and feel are up to the driver.

As long as I'm faster than everybody I run with in the mountains I am happy
beck688
Old Timer
Old Timer

Postby RBP » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:54 pm

I agree with everyone's comments here. The issue I guess is that the TR manual and other pieces of info out there recommend removing leaves. For example the instruction I have says, for the upper leaf set "use only 4 major leaves". For the bottom leaf pack it states "use 4 large and 6 small leaves". This is why I think I do not have enough rigidity and with 1.5" clearance with the car empty and 0" when I add 400 lbs. Do any of you know how much ride height / clearance one should expect to lose when you add 400 lbs say 200 lbs in each seat.
Vintage, 2316 Type IV
RBP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby dazeaway » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:47 pm

so here is what ifigured out. You should remove the upper shock bolt before adjusting as the shock is likely what was preventing me from getting proper adjustment. It limited the amount i could adjust. This may have been just my case but i would add it to the list
dazeaway
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Ralphc » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:39 pm

Heavy duty Sway Away springs are undimpled.
I only use one spring pack as the spot for the other has a Formula Vee style sway bar. I substitute two of the HD Sway Away full leaves in the remaining pack to restore lost spring rate.
Ralphc
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

PreviousNext

Return to Tips & Tricks Comment Forum (Post Here)