front suspension adustment

Use this forum for comment or questions regarding topics contained in the Tips, Tricks and Knowledge Forum

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

Re: front suspension adustment

Postby RBP » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:03 am

So in the upper you use a Formula Vee sway bar. Why, what does it do and what would it cost? In the bottom you take the stock bundle (4 large leaves & 6 small leaves) and replace 2 of the large leaves with HD Sway Away full leaves, as you stated that firms the bounce and gives you the ride height, is that correct? So where do you obtain the Formula Vee sway bar and the HD Sway away leaves and what is the cost. Also what is the ride height adjustability and how firm does the vehicle ride? What is the change in ride height when you add 400lbs in the front seats?
Last edited by RBP on Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vintage, 2316 Type IV
RBP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby DannyP » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:57 am

beck688 wrote:As long as I'm faster than everybody I run with in the mountains I am happy

I hear that! Ditto for me! And I am very happy!
2016 Vintage
DannyP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Ralphc » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:26 pm

Sway Bar was sourced from SR Racing; their application is balljoint beam for Formula First
http://www.sracing.com/Store/FST_Stuff/FST_Stuff.htm
Sway bar is $87.50. Benefit is no mickey mouse install on front beam; direct acting without extra clamps & bushings. The whole trailing arm assembly plus sway bar acts as a unit.
I run a z bar in the rear and need the front bar to add back total roll stiffness. Used to run a 3/4" bugpack bar with stainless band clamps on the top trailing arms. There was a lot of what I perceived as "stickiness" in the action of the front suspension with this setup. (application is Beck; gussets on front beam to axle joint interfered with a sway bar mounted in the stock location). With the FV style bar there is 'no waiting' for linkage to load; the action is immediate.
see http://www.swayaway.com/VWLeafSprings.php for sway away leaves
Spring rate is fine solo. I get terminal tire rub in vigorous driving with a passenger, and its worse with bags and a passenger. Tires are 185/65 on 5.5" wheels - centers pushed and rewelded. Maybe another leaf replacement?

One other comment- I used to play routinely with the tail coming out before the Z bar and front sway. No more; handling is more tidy unless I play the hooligan!
Ralphc
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby DannyP » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:09 pm

Ralph, I have rebent a stock link pin bar and installed it in the stock location on my Vintage. It rubbed the glass along the main tubes until I clearanced it with a Dremel.

I have thought of a Z bar but I'd like to just do a zero-roll in the back with a stiffer custom front bar, adjustable but like an early 911 bar.
2016 Vintage
DannyP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Ralphc » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:09 pm

Seen a couple of zero roll, Ray Colbert's being the most well engineered. You've already beefed the mounts (strap & etc.) which is good because the zero roll wants them. A friend who had zero roll tore the engine right out of stock mounts before he added a trans strap.
Before my current front set up I dummied a front bar with a 3/4" dowel and 1x2" end links to determine 3 piece bar dimensions. Never finished it. If 911 or 914 bar won't fit, maybe a circle track bar will. That's what I used for the Z bar.
http://www.1speedway.com/Swaybars.htm
Ralphc
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Previous

Return to Tips & Tricks Comment Forum (Post Here)