Carlisle Speedsters Meet Spyders 2015

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

Re: Carlisle Speedsters Meet Spyders 2015

Postby DannyP » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:09 am

Darcie and Stephen trailer their Spyder all the way from South Carolina. It is an open trailer. Three weeks to go, counting down now.

Rudy, I understand your ordeal with the Canadian authorities. Maybe next year? Then we'll make it 5 Spyders for the first time!
2016 Vintage
DannyP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RBP » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:24 am

I am planning on next year. In attempting to go this year I found out what I need to do. The trip isn't that far so it's doable and will be great to meet other 550 owners, see their cars etc. Can't do that anywhere else. Both sides of boarder patrol US and Canada have no sense of humor and work together to prevent transport of any vehicles especially rental vehicles and vehicles owned by others who aren't present. I know have a much better idea of the event. Hope to see you there next year.
Vintage, 2316 Type IV
RBP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby DannyP » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:24 am

I get you. Maybe you could drive your Spyder, and a friend drive a truck/trailer over? Then put your car on and hightail it down here. Reverse it on the way back.
2016 Vintage
DannyP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RBP » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:59 am

I have a buddy in Montreal who brought his Spyder down to Carlisle on a trailer, I think 2007. He had a TR and Tom paid him to bring the car to the show where Tom had rented a space for display. Anyway he is thinking of going up for a few days with me next year, my wife isn't interested. So between my buddy and I we can likely get a vehicle and trailer and should be good to go.
Vintage, 2316 Type IV
RBP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby DannyP » Sat May 02, 2015 3:17 am

Two weeks from today, I'll be meeting all my Speedster and Spyder friends in Carlisle PA. We actually get there on Thursday, but the big day at the fairgrounds is Saturday. Can't wait to Autocross again!
2016 Vintage
DannyP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby snowback » Sat May 21, 2016 5:54 am

Rudy,
DRIVE! I took my Spyder from Calgary to Sonoma a 2,305Km trip one way. I can almost smile about it now. My buddy took his bike I drove the Spyder and my daughter followed in my BMW - Just in case. Aside from he rain.....and here was a lot of rain! It was a great time. I had the foresight to have a shop vac in the BMW and it was used just about every night to vacuum water out of the cockpit.

I used the top for a while but gave up on it as the rain leaked....make that poured in between the top and windshield. So I used the tonneau with the passenger side closed of coarse.

Best part of the trip....Taking the Spyder onto Infineon raceway and meeting up with Barry.
2nd best part of the trip.....going hell bent for leather through giant redwoods seeking a dry spell, it was pouring!
Worst part of the trip..... Just out of Fernie BC....in the rain.....again.....following a semi at 40 Kms/hr even my rear view mirror was soaked!!!!

The car ran well, had to change jets when I got to sea level, which I was prepared for. On the way home, it started losing power, figured it was my fuel filter, stopped and replace it (which I had), so aside from caring the shop vac I didn't really need the BMW to follow. Got some great pics along the way too, and wonderful memories of driving a well engineered race car!
My advice....Prepare....and DO IT.......of coarse your car(s) is/(are) trailer queen(s), and you are very particular about them, but Dr. Porsche said his cars were meant to be drive, your's should be too!
snowback
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby snowback » Sat May 21, 2016 5:57 am

Oh, as for the border, I had no trouble I lead he way, so I suggested to the guard that he strip search the biker behind me! Actually got a grin out of him. My buddy was horrified that I said that to the guard!!!!! Always fun travelling with me!!!
snowback
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RBP » Sun May 29, 2016 1:09 pm

Brian, What was your car titled as?
Last edited by RBP on Tue May 31, 2016 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vintage, 2316 Type IV
RBP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby snowback » Sun May 29, 2016 7:35 pm

I was actually written up in two Porsche clubs magazines. Can send you a copy if you want.
snowback
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby snowback » Sun May 29, 2016 7:37 pm

I think it was titled as a VW, but I ended up getting it registered in Alberta as a Beck, in fear of the noise bylaw they were planning on bringing in on loud cars.
snowback
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RBP » Mon May 30, 2016 3:59 am

So when you went over to the US did you stop at the Canada office and show them the car before entering the US? If not what happened on the return when you were entering Canada from the US? Did they examine your registration?
If you were registered as a Beck and they look on line at what a Beck is you would be fine.
Last edited by RBP on Tue May 31, 2016 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vintage, 2316 Type IV
RBP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby snowback » Mon May 30, 2016 5:14 am

When I bought the car in New Hampshire and brought it across e boarder into Quebec I was worried about that but all the border guards were worried about was to get their GST and provincial taxes. (I believe I had to pay QST - that hurt) they did inspect the car to see if the vin matched, we're not concerned about What it was called as long as the vin matched.

Once I had it registered in Alberta and an Alberta plate on he car, I was never questioned about it or inspected to see if the vin matched. Never an issue and I have taken it down south more than once. ( Road to the Sun - another great trip!)
snowback
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RBP » Mon May 30, 2016 6:03 am

Ok, thanks for the info.
Last edited by RBP on Tue May 31, 2016 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vintage, 2316 Type IV
RBP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby snowback » Mon May 30, 2016 6:49 am

I don't think it falls into their mandate. You own the car, you can call (label) it whatever you want as long as the registration and vin numbers match. The only people that I can think of that would have an issue is the insurance companies, because your rate my be lower for a 1968 Beetle!
snowback
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby yorkemike » Mon May 30, 2016 7:12 am

Hey Brian, nice to see you back! My car is pretty much done and almost registered, just need to have it re-inspected. I'll give you a call and we'll get together soon if you're in town.
Mike
200? Vintage
\"For every complex problem, there is a
solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.\"
H.L. Mencken
yorkemike
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

PreviousNext

Return to Events