Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

Re: Spyder for sale on Bring a Trailer

Postby Spydey » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:17 am

It looks pretty cool, very fast.
Spydey

Postby EEricson » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:56 pm

Didn't sell at $40k. I wouldn't have let it go for that either.
EEricson
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RBP » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:28 pm

Interesting enough. I don't see how you can even put one together with a quality paint (minimum 10k) a nice engine from a reputable builder say at least 180 HP (12K) a transaxle with the correct gearing 3:44 quaffi ( 3k). Your at 25k and all you have is an engine, trans & a paint job! I'm into mine for big money but don't plan on ever selling it. If you add a deluxe package at 19K, freight & tax at say 4k, 16 aluminum wheels and disc brakes at 5k. Your now at 52k and you have a pile of pieces/parts and your still missing lots of items, tires, shifter, porsche crests to name a few. If your time is free then I guess 50k is all its worth. I paid more for my paint, gauges and engine so I'm into mine for likely 70k! Not planning on giving it someone i don't know for .50 cents on the dollar, not counting the endless hours I've spent in putting it together.
Vintage, 2316 Type IV
RBP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RVosari » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:36 am

I have met about an even dozen Spyder owners since 2013...at least 10 were 60+ and not really that adapt at jumping in the car... :)

Keep in mind that not every one wants a weirdo "tribute" paint job and all sorts of add-ons that you as a current owner like, and the younger set does not typically have the $'s for this sort of stuff

ReV
RVosari
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby EEricson » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:52 pm

They aren't investments. That's a sure bet.
EEricson
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RBP » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:26 am

I agree guys. I was just thinking even if you lay down the cheapest paint you can at say 3k, get a used 60 hp type 1 engine and a used trans your still going to be into the thing for 30 minimum, just don't see how you can do it any other way. I just thought if your going to do one of these, make it of something looking of typical Porsche fit and finish, otherwise why bother. I know many are with me on this others seem happy in the other camp.

Also as you point out, it is said that the younger generation has no interest in cars like us older guys. I grew up around cars so for me its part of who I am. The younger generation seems happy to live in a 600 sqft condo without even owning a car. I wouldn't be able to live like that, I'd hate it. In the future the market for collector cars will be very soft since the buyers are disappearing fast!
Vintage, 2316 Type IV
RBP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RVosari » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:42 pm

The young are unfortunately trendies and the trend is ridiculous "Jeeps"...high, wide and lame :)

The older set seems to crave the "defender"...with a suspension so "primitive" that the VW's beam and bars are positively space age...you can say it all came from SEMA...but likely it was from a movie I never saw :(

ReV
RVosari
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby egrant5329 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:27 am

To me the problem is that people just want to buy the perfect car and aren't willing it invest any time in them. What percent of spyders are sold as kits these days? Maybe 1% if that. When you pay someone else to do everything for you, of course it is going to be expensive.

At the last car show I went to, I entered in the kit car class. The winner was a factory authorized aluminum 427 cobra and the runner up was a Factory 5 built cobra. Both were beautiful cars and the owners hadn't done anything but clean them. To me the fun (and aggravation) is working on them and figuring out the puzzle.

It just my $0.02, but buy an old Beck or Vintage and put some work into it. You don't need a $10K paint job or a $12K engine or a quaffe to have a cool, fun, enjoyable car. That's probably why I would much rather look at ratrods over expensive cars that someone had built for them. At least on the ratrods someone has used some creativity and hard work to build them.
Ed G.
egrant5329
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RVosari » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:44 pm

I first worked on a fiberglass conversion when I was 13. One of my mentors had a Daimler SP 250 which he converted to a race car with a Kellison body. Over about a 2 year period I developed my craft as the car switched to a 260 Ford Motor with accompanying suspension changes.

Kellison was one of those “fits any chassis” within a such-and-such wheelbase…and I suppose it did. But both front and rear wheel openings required a lot of modification. Some years later I helped a Fiberfab distributor build cars during school holidays…

For the most part these involved a lot of work, even with “factory support”…the first few were learning experiences, but later as you became familiar with all the eccentricities, it became old in a hurry.

And if the kit manufacturer claimed “you” can do this in 2 weeks with only hand-tools…perhaps you could, but there had to be 5-6 “younses" #-o

ReV
RVosari
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby egrant5329 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:45 pm

Doing it yourself might save you a little money, but it tends to spread out what you do spend over time. Plus you have the satisfaction of doing it yourself.

I had never touched an aircooled car before and I didn't build mine from a stage 1, but I (with guidence from DannyP and LarryJ and the SC)
I changed from the trailer lights to the accurate ones front and back,
replaced the 1600cc with a nice 78x90.5 engine DRD racing engine,
replaced the transaxle with a custom geared transaxle from KCR,
changed from the Beck exhaust to the 4-2-1,
junked the jamar shifter for a cable shifter,
changed the 4 bolts to wide-5s with disc brakes all around,replumbed the brake likes,
installed and cut the drumskinz down so they actually fit,
installed the crank trigger ignition,
Switched from kadrons to dual IDF 44s,
jetted the carbs correctly based off AFR,
added and plumbed the auxillery oil cooler, oil filter and thermostat,
Installed the DTM,
added the nice handbrake,
added the front grill, helmet fairing, GT mirrors, hard half tonneau, license plate light cover, created my own half soft tonneau,
Changed to 356 ignition switch,
Rewired many of the guages,
added a centroid gas guage sender,
opened up the front brake vents,
installed/wired driverside heated seat,
I didn't do the paint, but I helped with disassembly and reassembly including the horrid windshield experience,
aligned the car,
etc, etc, etc.....

Adding everything up including the initial purchase I am in the $25K to $27K range on the car.
There were lots of lessons learned along the way, but if I can, anyone can!
EdG
egrant5329
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby EricTheRed » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:05 am

I watched this car and the others while on BAT. I gotta say I would not have let it go for 40,000 either, it was just the wrong place and time for the car and the graphics didn't help the car either. The audience on bat is an older crowd that's refined and has disposable income. But this car was decked out in a younger fashion, with the graphics and wheels that do not help the vintage feel at all. I think when many people buy spiders they want some sort of vintage or authentic approach to the build. If you took off the graphics, painted the wheels in a semi flat black and ditched the a few "newer" looking things on the car and reposted it it would sell for more money.I understand its good to be different, and trying a new approach is cool, but most don't want to deviate to far from the original.

In my collection I have all types of cars including some JDM, and I will say when I attend import car shows the car community is alive and well!. But they approach things differently and tech tuning, adjustments to the car and how they show off. It's not always form follows function for the younger crowd, so vintage race cars are admired but not really top of mind for ownership. These kids are getting into cars, in fact many follow the Porsche scene but they do for 911, 935, RWB, Libertywalk, and other tuners. Hop on Youtube and see the amount of followings these guys have, and how the air-cooled community grabs these kids.

Taste change and people migrate into other things that they didn't like previous. Consider how we all had written off 80's and 90's cars from most of our era...anyone been to RADWOOD yet?? The younger generation is buying these cars up like crazy and enjoying them.

Stuffing a Subie motor in these cars is just the tip of the iceberg, but its a start to get the younger generation into these cars. I bet if you took a 550, build it with the right tuner parts, make the sub twin turbo and bring it to a Werkfest or Import show you could change some younger minds. My 2 cents.
EricTheRed

Postby DannyP » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:13 pm

Yeah, and with a twin-turbo, you'll probably die on your way there LOL
2016 Vintage
DannyP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Return to Classifieds-For Sale/Wanted (Spyerclub assumes no responsibility for validity of vendors)