Windscreen for 718 RSK

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

Windscreen for 718 RSK

Postby TFabian » Tue May 24, 2016 6:55 am

Looking for 718 RSK windscreen and frame.
In case I can not find one in a couple of weeks, might manufacture here in Europe.
Depending on the price, run a batch of 5-10 to split costs and have them for sale.
Any comments, windscreen for sale?

Thx
TFabian
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: Windscreen for 718 RSK

Postby RS-60 mark » Wed May 25, 2016 4:14 pm

I don't have much time to help right now. Sitting in a KOA campground 40 miles from Indy. Tomorrow check-in at Indy Motor Speedway campsite for the race. Wi-Fi unlikely, so will be off grid for quite a while.

I presume you are looking for the "RS-60" glass wind screen and frame. This question comes up every once and a while. If you have a Thunder Ranch fiberglass shell, they substantially modified the GP Spyder shell (not particularly for the better) to allow fitting the Porsche 356 speedster glass and frame. Those are readily available from any of the suppliers of 356 speedster replicas.

If you have the GP Spyder shell (or any of it's subsequent clones) then the body deck under the windscreen is relatively flat, like original 718. GP Spyder made a fiberglass frame that fit a cut-down MGB windscreen (so I've been told) for their "RS-60" version. This is what I have on my car. These are not currently in production or commercially available ANYWWHERE. I am terrified of the day a rock takes out my glass.

If that happens I will resort to the alternative: A homemade plexiglass RSK style windscreen. Then the rock can take out my eye next time instead of an irreplaceable windscreen.

If you are going to make your own "RS-60" wind screen and frame, then I suggest you study the pictures of originals RS-60s carefully. The windscreen is a very distinctive feature of this 718 version, of which there were only 12. So if you are going to the trouble of recreating it, get it right. If you do, there might be a few others out there who are interested.
RS-60 mark
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby TFabian » Thu May 26, 2016 12:35 am

Hi,

Thx for the reply.
The story of my replica: about 15-17 years ago one of a REAL 718 RSK spyders popped up in Hungary. Do not ask who had it or how, I do not have any more info. Accidentally a guy who manufactured replicas before, and fabricates all kinds of fiberglass parts for rally cars, saw the 718. He approached the owner to take the dimensions and manufacture the molds. The guy agreed, the molds were made and 3 sets of replicas manufactured. So you can say It is as close to an original as possible.
Then one of the projects stopped, put away for 15 years. I bought this last year. I have 90% of the parts, except the windscreen and other small pieces.
Back then 3 windshields were manufactured, by a local factory, Salglass. [url]Salglass.hu[/url] They do not have the jig any more. 2 windshields still around, will be used on the other cars. The 3. one disappeared. Thats my luck....
356 windshield...well I do not want to take the chance, to buy, get it shipped and 1000 or more USD later I find out it does not fit.
I am already negotiating with a local glass shop. Measurements taken, waiting for the offer.
Plexiglass, for me totally out of the question. Will not pass safety inspection. To make it even more complicated, the DOT number and everything else has to be stamped on it, to prove safety standards.

Cheers
TFabian
Starting Member
Starting Member

Postby Mtflyr » Fri May 27, 2016 2:28 am

Mtflyr
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby TFabian » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:22 am

Hi,

Thx, I saw these videos. Great shots.
In the meantime, tool manufactured for the new windshield, safety glass made with the correct markings.
One box ticked, one step closer...
Also found mould for seats, manufacuring in progress.

Keep on rolling
Thomas
TFabian
Starting Member
Starting Member

Postby RVosari » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:01 am

Thomas,

Sounds like an interesting project...do you have photos of the frame ?

ReV
RVosari
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby TFabian » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:07 pm

Hi ReV,

The base is a 1974 VW Bug pan, totally refurbished, media blasted, painted. Once I install the front end, the gearbox and the engine, I will fit the body panels, to see where the tubular reinforcements needed. Sure, I will post before and after pictures.
I pick up the gearbox today, also totally redone inside and outside. Engine already finished. It was completetely disassembled, reworked. Originally 1600 cc, VW. Now 1800ish, new Porsche 914 heads, bigger valves, 297 camshaft, 2 double barrel Dellortos. Tested, running nice.

Cheers
Thomas
TFabian
Starting Member
Starting Member

Postby Mtflyr » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:58 am

Yeah, would love to see pic's

Pete
Mtflyr
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Lavej » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:11 am

Hi All
New to the forum but already getting lots of help so thank you. I am looking to try and build an RS60 windscreen. I don't really fancy plexiglass or the 356 speedster option. I was thinking that I could build a frame and then get q screen made. I live quite near Pilkington glass who will make specials.
Does anyone have my dimensions for the screen either from scan/drawing/measurements?
I could try to do this by eye but prefer to work from good data. ANY help is much appreciated
Lavej
Starting Member
Starting Member

Postby RS-60 mark » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:06 pm

Hi Lavej, welcome to spyderclub.

I'm guessing since you live near Pilkington Glass you must live somewhere in UK. And I'm guessing again that if you live in UK that you probably have a GP Spyder body shell. If you are interested in creating something like the optional 'RS60 windscreen' that was once offered by GP Spyders; rather than building a frame and having custom glass made, I think it will be easier to start with an existing glass and build the frame to fit.

As mentioned in my 25 May 2016 post on this thread, it is my understanding that the GP Spyder's RS60 windscreen is cut down from an MGB. For reference, I just measured my (GP Spyder windscreen) and it is 15 inches height dimension in center. Perhaps you could sneak up on an MGB in the carpark (or junk yard) with a measuring tape to determine how much is actually cut down. My guess is it is cut from the bottom, since the top corners are round and bottom corners are sharp.

With a windscreen and some shaping foam, I think you could mock-up a foam frame to fit the windscreen and the body from which to create a mould for a fiberglass frame. (The GP Spyder frame is fiberglass)

Or, get in touch with TFabian (a few posts above on this thread) and find out how he did his. You can email him via spyderclub.
RS-60 mark
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Lavej » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:42 am

Hi RS 60 Mark?
Thank you for your reply. Some good ideas there. I am not sure what the original moulding was but this will be from Spyders inc and they can do a fibreglass version which I might use as a template. How difficult would it be to bend some aliminium channel? Has anyone done this
Lavej
Starting Member
Starting Member

Postby RS-60 mark » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:59 pm

Lavej --
I went to Spyders Inc online. It looks like their 718 is a direct lift from a GP Spyders shell, if not the product of actual GP Spyder moulds. That's not surprising. All production fiberglass 718 body shells are the evolution of GP Spyders.

Anyway, about your windscreen; a couple of things to keep in mind: Look at the slope of the body's front nose between the fenders. Imagine the air pressure rushing up that slope at 60,70, 90 mph; and then hitting the relatively upright windscreen -- the heavy glass windscreen -- the one that will probably hurt your face if it blows out of its frame or if the whole frame blows off of the cowl. The point is, the windscreen frame needs to be substantial enough to keep the glass in the frame, and the frame must be strong enough not to deform under wind pressure, or rip from the cowl.

I don't know what you have in mind regarding bending aluminum channel. Unless you have tooling and mandrels for this, I think it might be a difficult prospect. Maybe you best bet and fastest route is the Spyders Inc option. If they say they can make a frame (especially if they were lucky enough to inherit the GP Spyder moulds), then I'd say take them up on the offer to make one for you.

Let us know if Spyders Inc actually do have a glass windscreen/frame. There are others over time who have been looking for one.

PS: What you Do Not want is a 356 Speedster windscreen. It is just: Wrong.
RS-60 mark
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Lavej » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:12 pm

Hi
Thanks for the reply, all good thinking material. From a bit more research on custom made screens it seems that the frame is made from brass channel and then chromed
Brass is obviously easier to bend and can be braised and probably explains the centre strut as brass will bend a bit easier. I think structurally the windscreen frame will probably attach to the chassis rather than the body and the additional depth on the channel as it meets the body on the original is also probably as a result of it needing a bit more strength to resist wind loading. I have amassed a lot of photos of the screens and I think can probably get the dimensions right and the bending is not too harsh and in two planes so should be ok. Will ask Pilkington for prices next.
Lavej
Starting Member
Starting Member

Postby Lavej » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:46 pm

Well Pilkington have quoted me 5000 pounds to make the mould and then cost per screen on top. Anybody interested?
Lavej
Starting Member
Starting Member

Postby RBP » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:14 pm

Ouch! :sadnana:
Vintage, 2316 Type IV
RBP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Return to Classifieds-For Sale/Wanted (Spyerclub assumes no responsibility for validity of vendors)