Porsche 547 Fan shroud

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

Re: Porsche 547 Fan shroud

Postby EEricson » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:13 pm

So I left Bic a message. Thanks for the contact.

Seems like he did a huge amount of work on this. Way more than I was anticipating. The dang things look so nice, you want to believe....
EEricson
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby smonop » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:22 pm

Spoke with Russ at Fibersteel on the topic earlier today. He indicated that the main challenge is ensuring cooling (which I’m sure you’re aware) which has slowed his work on it given other priorities in his shop and time dedication it requires. I was wondering about a faux set up, one that could be constructed to fit over original equipment but at least gives an original look?

How much work would it require to install a functional shroud? I ask because I’m not a mechanic and given the intricacies I assume are involved the overall cost of installation could be beyond my willingness to shell out $$$$...
smonop
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RBP » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:14 pm

Not sure what Russ and FibreSteel have to do with this. It states that Bic is working with "Square 1 Fabrications of Bozeman MT".
Vintage, 2316 Type IV
RBP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby smonop » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:21 pm

My point is that Russ is at least answering questions and has actively looked into the topic and challenges. I called him on a different matter today and asked his progress on a shroud. I had inquired about him fabricating one for my car when he was working on it last year, but cost was prohibitive given he’s still in the development stage. Either way, I’m not sure I see the harm, information is information, especially considering that the last post from Bic was Dec 2014. If Bic has moved on to other projects which are better for him financially, more power to him, always liked the guy in talking with him. From my perspective, as long as a potential ‘engineer’ develops a shroud that it is deemed well crafted by the crew here and is reputable, I’m in. If it ends up being Bic, great, he’s put a great deal of effort.
smonop
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RBP » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:05 am

I agree, wasn't being negative at all just wondering if Russ somehow was in the mix with Bic and Square 1 Fabrications. I'm thinkin maybe we should go direct to Square 1 Fabrications and ask them if its still a potential product?
http://square1fab.com/
Vintage, 2316 Type IV
RBP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby smonop » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:15 am

Got no argument from me, if Square 1 Fab is on it and has a working model that is or will be reasonably priced (though I’m not hopeful for us Type IV peeps), let’s investigate. And thanks for the link!
smonop
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby EEricson » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:15 pm

I spoke to Bic last night. He says he's looking to get the new version in production by end of summer. He's in Montana now, building a house. Seems like a nice guy.

Says his unit cools nice, after extensive testing, fiddling, etc.

I still might try to do one myself, but after talking to him I no longer have any illusions about it being quick or easy. My car will probably go out with the DTM shroud.
EEricson
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby smonop » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:00 pm

Oh cool! Yea, the times I spoke or traded e-mails, Bic was great. Did he by chance say why he no longer posted on the club site? I wrote to the fab1 contact today, per the link RBP provided, to see if I could get any info.

EE, I couldnt imagine trying to fabricate one! What’s a DTM shroud.

Finally, any feedback on a Type IV shroud and or potential cost? What about blueprints on installation? I’m a bit of a detail guy, despite my absence of mechanical ability...
smonop
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RBP » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:48 pm

Smonop, I have a type IV and a DTM. Here is what the DTM looks like. They were designed and were/are sold by Jake Raby and the Type IV Store.
Attachments
transreplace.JPG
5505.JPG
Vintage, 2316 Type IV
RBP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby smonop » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:30 pm

Oh wow, that’s really nice! Much nicer than my hideous shroud... going to PM you to get more info.. Thanks!
smonop
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby EEricson » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:25 pm

PM? I think we'd all like to hear about that venturi ring. Homemade? How? Or where's it bought?

Changes the whole look of the engine, and in a very good way.
EEricson
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby smonop » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:12 pm

So sorry guys, wasn't meaning to shut out the group, was thinking the opposite that I'd annoy those only interested in Bic's shroud. Here's the link to the store, and the basic kit, there are more advanced kits:

https://type4store.com/conversion-cooli ... m-kit.html
smonop
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby EEricson » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:38 pm

Bic didn't offer anything, and I didn't ask, about the Type IV. Personally I think it's the engine to do in a Spyder, since the exhaust exits are "right." With a Bic shroud (or similar), only thing holding you back would be those X-wing cam covers (and a few extraneous spark plugs). If someone fabbed up a Type IV valve cover with two bogus pontoons—the top one reading "PORSCHE"—all the bases would be covered. Looks do-able to me (although at some point one must ask oneself: what am I doing?).

Here's hoping RBP chimes in about the venturi ring on his DTM. I've a notion to do something like that, at least, on mine. Maybe even add a bullet nose in the fan center too—though Bic informs me that, on his project, even that apparently simple mod opened up a big ol' can of airflow worms....
EEricson
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Mtflyr » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:26 pm

Yeah, wow that venturi ring looks great Ed and I know you and I have the same Raby DTM fan shroud. Would love to hear more about that ring too.
I bought a Awesome Powder coated one hoping to fit it to my Speedster or Spyder but it's way too small it's made for an OE VW shroud.

Pete
Mtflyr
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby smonop » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:11 pm

Can one of you guys post the Venturi ring as an image for me, the uninitiated?
smonop
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

PreviousNext

Return to Classifieds-For Sale/Wanted (Spyerclub assumes no responsibility for validity of vendors)