Aluminum car

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

Aluminum car

Postby danstern » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:54 pm

Here is a strange one on eBay. All aluminum, mid-engined, cheap, and strange!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281174592335?ss ... 1423.l2648
Dan
Quantum Mechanic, Black Holes refilled, Quarks repaired
Vintage #74, 2109cc
danstern
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Re: Aluminum car

Postby JuanB » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:29 am

Hello Dan,

I am Juan Badel, the builder of the car you mention. I understand that you call it strange, under Porsche 550 eyes it is. But I didn´t mean to build a clone. When I started this project one of my assumptions (time will tell if it was correct or incorrect) was that replicas only depreciate in time, originals with a little luck and a lot of hard work, could gain value over time. With a lot of respect and admiration I tried to capture the spirit of the original Porsches of the 40s and 50s, and make my own rendition of it.

I built this car in my one car garage, with very limited tools and resources, just out of love for the cars, but with no plans of selling it or making any more. I didnt have an english wheel or a gas welder, so making it was hard with only hand tools and very small pieces of aluminum.

In the process I learnt that I love the craft. I built my own english wheel, and got a gas welder. But I cant build a second car for myself. My finances are stranded from this project. SO I need to sell this one or find a comission to build a second one and then I will be able to put to use all I learnt while making this one.

The car is absolutely great to drive. The fun is just too much. And it has hold up well through all the tests Ive put it trough, like fast runs on unpaved roads. Something I am sure not many people would put their original 550 trhough.

When I see the kind of money people put into developing aluminum casrs and what they can charge from them I am only amazed. But I am not in the USA, this is a third world country and there is no market for this car here. I went to college in the USA, got a Bachelor of Fine arts from the Savannah College of Art and Design and a Bachelor of Art in Economics from Armstrong State University, also In SAV, so the natural thing is to find a market there.

If you are interested, please let me know. I am open to offers and ideas. My email is salvador@fabricante.tv.

Have a good day.
JuanB
Starting Member
Starting Member

Postby danstern » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:12 am

Hi Juan,
I have looked at the photos on your site several times and am amazed at the time, detail, and care you brought to the project. By strange, I meant unusual. The labor required for an aluminum bodied car makes them very expensive in the U.S. One difficulty in selling to a U.S. buyer is the import and registration process. I suspect that if you could somehow import and register the car it would sell instantly. However, Importing would be difficult to impossible. Your car is beautiful !
Dan
Vintage #74, 2109cc
danstern
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby JuanB » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:54 pm

Hi Dan,

Yes, I´ve been reading online as much as I can. It seems like the body and chassis could be imported and sold as a kit. The buyer would need to provide the engine and transmission. Also, I read on the EPA website that the kit car is considered as whatever it started to be. In this case the engine and most other vw parts come from a 1955 vw beetle, which is what its registered as here in COL. So that should make things a lot easier as far as safety requirements. Anyway I am not a lawyer or expert, that is why any buyer would have to take care of that part.
JuanB
Starting Member
Starting Member

Postby Larry Jowdy » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:14 am

Juan, EPA only sets regulations on vehicle emmissions which are based on the original chassis and engine. In your case, the chassis is a fabricated unit and many states in the USA "may" register the vehicle as a "Special Construction" at least in California, that's what will happen. But it could be disassembled, shipped and put together by the new owner as a "kit" but the registration process will still remain the same "Special Construction"
If the car had a VW pan or chassis with a VIN, the Dept. of Motor VEhicles 'may' register it as a VW.
Larry Jowdy
Site Administrator
Larry Jowdy
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

Postby JuanB » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:58 pm

Larry, thank you so much for the info. The auction ended today. It had 3200 views, 30 followers, and two bids from canada, that I didnt accept because they wanted me to handle the import process. I am afraid that as Dan pointed out the import and registration part is a concern for buyers. Please, if you know of someone who could be intrested in buying the chassis and body, let me know. I could offer it at an even lower price without the engine or transmission. And putting it together is really a simple matter.
I am ready to start a second car, I really want to put to use all I´ve learnt making this first one.
JuanB
Starting Member
Starting Member

Postby JuanB » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:43 am

Hello,

I just wanted to let you know that I have started working on my second car. At the moment I am doing some modifications to the wooden buck, fine tuning some shapes and opening a bonet door for the sake of convenience.
You can follow all the steps here:

http://fabricanteworkshop.tumblr.com/

I will continue to post updates on this thread

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=14676

Have a good day!
JuanB
Starting Member
Starting Member

Postby danstern » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:58 pm

Another Badel is for sale on BaT. Bidding is quite low and the auction ends tomorrow. I'm tempted but already have a Vintage Spyder and this would be a PITA to register in CA.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1954-badel-spyder/
Dan
Vintage #74, 2109cc
danstern
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RustyCarrs » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:14 pm

sold for $31,000
RustyCarrs
Starting Member
Starting Member

Postby EEricson » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:59 am

Really interesting car for the money. The chassis looks like it's much stronger than a normal kit Spyder, including the Vintage. Rear suspension unusual and trick; Formula V guys swear by this arrangement. Hand-hammered aluminum body is elite, even if only Spyderesque-ish. Someone on BaT said they'd be embarrassed to park it next to a Runge but I don't know. 1. How can he be sure, based on pictures? 2. (Assuming it's not as good) how often are you going to encounter a Runge car you have to park yours away from?
EEricson
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Return to Classifieds-For Sale/Wanted (Spyerclub assumes no responsibility for validity of vendors)