Purchasing a kit need a vendor.

Vendor Advisories, Kudos, recommendations, etc.

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

Purchasing a kit need a vendor.

Postby dazeaway » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:02 am

I am purchasing a spyder kit and need a vendor. After looking on this site and reading several posts in their gorry detail I would think there are no good vendors. Who would you use? I am looking for a deluxe kit not a turnkey car. I am on the east coast, IF it really is this bad... should I just be looking for a finished one on ebay or something?

I was seriously thinking thunder ranch but .... after reading some threads then OK vintage their more money but... again yikes they dont seem any better. Should I just fork over the money to beck? Are they worth the extra bucks? have they ever taken someone for a ride?
dazeaway
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Re: Purchasing a kit need a vendor.

Postby YamaBice » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:00 pm

dazeaway wrote:After looking on this site and reading several posts in their gorry detail I would think there are no good vendors.

Kind of an odd post for a newbie.

To my knowledge, no one has ever posted a bad thing about Special Edition. To me, Kevin and Carey Hines are the paradigm for quality 550 Spyder replicas. Their experience, knowledge, and customer service are second to none.

If you're looking for that kind of vendor, then I suggest you get in touch with Special Edition.

By the way, they're in Indiana, which is a lot closer to the East Coast than those California vendors are.
YamaBice
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby daVinci 550 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:14 pm

I purchased a Vintage rolling kit and I live on the east coast as well. The quality and finish is second to none. The wait was a bit though. [8D]
Matthew Gardiner
Vintage Spyder #412

Digital Media & Graphic Design
http://www.matthewgardinerdesign.com
daVinci 550
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby DannyP » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:01 am

Like Matt, I bought a Vintage rolling kit. I am also extremely pleased with the quality of the car, fit and finish. The wait was longer than I was told, and I had my frustrations, but the product is worth it. Greg and his crew do an excellent job.

I did not buy a car from Special Edition, but I have bought several items from them. Kevin and Carey are a CLASS act, period.

TR I have no experience with, although I did meet Tom in 2010 at Carlisle.

Just remember, give only the deposit needed, and never pay in full until the end.
2016 Vintage
DannyP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby dazeaway » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:44 am

Sorry didnt want it to seem like a weird question. I have been looking for a spyder since I was 20, I am 42 now and can finally afford one. (maybe) Any way I want to make the best purchase I can for what I have to spend. THe beck spyders are just too pricey for me. If someone could tell me that what I am getting is really worth the extra cost then I would make some consessions for a beck, But I really dont have the extra money but do have the extra time, so I can do some things for myself.

I have been in contact with TR via phone and email and all seems well but I dont want to wait 300 days or longer for a car. Right now I am being told it is a 60 day lead time. I also dont want to have to travel to CA every other month to grease the wheels. Are the issues being reported here about TR consistent or just someones really bad luck?

But if not them than who? does anyone make kits and then sells them after the fact?
dazeaway
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby YamaBice » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:55 am

I'm not completely sure what you mean by a \"beck spyder.\" And, by \"beck spyder,\" I'm not sure how you're figuring that they're more expensive.

At any rate, Special Edition has the closest tie to Chuck Beck. You really need to visit Special Edition at www.beckspeedster.com and, even more important, speak directly with Kevin and/or Carey Hines.

I don't know that a deluxe kit from Special Edition is any more expensive than one from Thunder Ranch or Vintage or any other vendor. What I DO know is that Special Edition will take your phone calls promptly, answer your questions honestly and completely, and work with you to satisfy your needs and wants.

You seem to be asking the same questions repeatedly, possibly trying to get a different answer.

You're on the east coast. Special Edition is in Bremen, Indiana. As I mentioned before, I've never heard a single person ever complain about doing business with Kevin and/or Carey Hines.

That's really all the advice I can give you. But, if you or someone else on this forum can explain to me how a \"beck spyder\" is more expensive than other Spyders on the market, then I'd love to hear. Then, I'd love to see an item-by-item comparison of what you get for your money (and when). Because, right now, I think a Special Edition Spyder is an excellent value.
YamaBice
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Re: Purchasing a kit need a vendor.

Postby RS-60 mark » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:09 pm

dazeaway wrote:After looking on this site and reading several posts in their gorry detail . . . .

If you have read all the gory detail, then by now you should be aware of two things:
1. If you don't pay attention to the gore and avoid it, then you will become part of it.
2. You never read anything gory at all about Special Editions.
RS-60 mark
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Biker2 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:20 pm

OK, I'll jump in too. Everything anyone has said about Special Edition in this thread is true. I can also add that I have bought many items from SE and they are nothign short of great.

Call them.
Biker2
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby dazeaway » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:52 pm

OK I have read alot probably not all but quite a bit. I did email and will call Hynes tomorrow. Here is a little history. 6 years ago I had new motors popped in my boat no kidding 50K I waited three months longer than was promised lost half a season!! It was a very stressful summer. I do not want to do that again.

Now beck/chamonix spyders are more money, they are 19k out of the gate. where TR is $12K. now dont get me wrong I understand that you get more from the beck spyders and so this is not an apples to apples comparison. But I am new to this. Honestly I dont want to fork over money to anyone and lose it or have it tied up in aggrivation. that is not what this is about. Heck if you told me it was a 6 month wait. Than that is fine (could be) as long as it wasnt 7 months when all was said and done.

I appreciate all the help The indiana place I could actually get there in 14 hours so there is a $1K saved in shipping so now it is a 6K difference (absolute dollars). I hope I get some satisfaction from one of the places and own of these beutiful cars by august.

I have waited along time.

Please I am asking these questions because I was pretty certain TR was my choice until I saw some of the \"feedback\" they recieved. I do not want to be the next person complaining about them. But just to be fair. Has anyone ever had a good experience with TR? I understand that indianna seems to be a great place, so I just want to give TR the opportunity to let the public speak for them.

On a side note. what I dont understan is if there is always a 2,3,4 month wait why dont these companies build a car for the \"eventual\" customer? Apparently we are coming even in this poor economy.

Thank you for you feedback I hope to join the ranks soon.
dazeaway
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Aussiespyder » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:56 am

I note TR charge extra for metallic paint and leather seats. I believe they are standard in a Beck. That is $2250 of your $6k difference.

I bought a Chamonix out of Brasil but Kevin and Carey were still helful with my build!!

Ken
Aussiespyder
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Re:

Postby daVinci 550 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:19 am

dazeaway wrote:what I dont understan is if there is always a 2,3,4 month wait why dont these companies build a car for the "eventual" customer?

daze,

2, 3, and 4 month delivery in the case of individually, custom, hand-made vehicles is impractical, especially with a back list of orders. There may be a few vendors who deliver in several months and some in a year+, but unless you are lucky I do not think you will actually take delivery in 4 months. Those who have are few and in many cases either took a vehicle that was already built for someone else who may have bailed or the like.

In some cases these builders do make spec vehicles and then sell to retailers. They tend to go for higher prices though.

These are not production vehicles in any way, shape or form.
[8D]
Matthew Gardiner
Vintage Spyder #412

Digital Media & Graphic Design
http://www.matthewgardinerdesign.com
daVinci 550
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby DannyP » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:58 am

Dazeaway, I have a similar story to yours. I saw a Beck Spyder in VW and Porsche magazine in 1984 and was smitten. Fast forward to 2001 when I could actually afford it!

Sometimes Greg at Vintage will put a roller, kit, or complete car on ebay or just call him once in a while.

Shipping was only $1300 dollars back in 2002 for me so I understand that is a factor.

Where on the east coast do you live? And what is your name?
2016 Vintage
DannyP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Re:

Postby RS-60 mark » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:41 pm

dazeaway wrote:I had new motors popped in my boat no kidding 50K I waited three months longer than was promised lost half a season!! It was a very stressful summer. I do not want to do that again.

Danny -- dazeaway doesn't have a tolerance level for even 3 months of broken promises. Are you sure you want to recommend he hook up with Vintage? Here is a guy that bought a Vintage "kit", remember him?: http://www.spyderclub.com/phpbb2/viewto ... highlight=

Remember all the others???
RS-60 mark
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby dazeaway » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:53 pm

I am in Mass name is Bob. OK I did speak with Hynes today it was an informative conversation. He is currently offering a safe delivery time of 8 months. After speaking with him I think I really like the beck offerings vs the TR once he explained all the extras you get the cost difference really is negligable. So the last point becomes delivery. How does someone give a company $5K knowing the intent is to get nothing for the money for 8 months. Is there a slow time? maybe I should rethink the ordering time frame. OH well I will keep looking I am hoping someone will come to me with an unfinished kit or one of these companies will have a car open up sooner.

Thank you for all the help and the advice. I hope to own one \"soon\"
dazeaway
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby JayNiz » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:13 pm

Bob -

Check your Inbox. I sent you a PM earlier today.

-j
Last edited by JayNiz on Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JayNiz
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Next

Return to Vendor Discussions