Electric Porsches

Vendor Advisories, Kudos, recommendations, etc.

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

Electric Porsches

Postby Goofycat » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:57 am

Sorry, but somehow I can't envision driving a sports car where an exhaust noise is no longer part of the driving experience.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/06/euro ... l-without/
Goofycat
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Biker2 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:24 pm

Now that just ain't right.
Biker2
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby prototype4 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:48 am

You guys are right to argue that the famous 356 and 550 series are inappropriate for battery power. But you can have a little fun linking your critics to a Porsche design that is battery correct (front wheel drive too) [8D] .If a commercial shows, be patient.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdTczvU8ZUw

(heeee hee hee he)

If your green-detractors complain about the selection, ask what their issues are (and let the fun commence) [):]
Last edited by prototype4 on Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ohhhhhh........I'm a lumberjack and I'm OKAY,
prototype4
Old Timer
Old Timer

Postby WasserSpyder » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:01 am

It took me a LONG time to get accustomed to not having any engine noise, not having to push in a clutch to come to a stop, etc... That said, I did get the hang of it, although I am not completely sold on EV cars (personal choice). That said, I have built a few dozen of them now and have had a wide mix of clients. Some have been Porschephiles with the means and desire. The EV 904 we are finishing now is for a spyder client of mine who also has a GT3 cup car, a GT2 and has owned 9 other Porsches , including one of the nicest 100pt twin grill roadsters I've ever seen. He has his fast cars, his track cars, his crappy weather cars, and now he has a gas free toy to take to work and tot he Hamptons on the weekends. What he'll do with an EV 904 I have no idea, but it is getting an 11\" motor and will have the equivelant of 400hp and 450 ft/lbs, so gas or not it will be a neck snapper...

The non-Porsche clients have 1) loved the look of the car, regardless of the history, and 2) seen our cars as a very lightweight tube chassis platform which is ideal for their needs. many of them have become historians or Porschephiles after the fact, while others just have a neat conversation piece.

Regarding the EV linked above... appears to be a Vintage Speedster EV'd and resold by the advertising company. Regarding the performance specs: I'll believe it when I see it. I don't claim to be an EV expert, BUT I have been participating in EV builds for over 2 years now. To me, these numbers don't seem to add up. In my opinion: charge time makes no sense, performance and range are grossly exaggerated... you COULD get similar performance, but at a HUGE cost to the range, but I don't think that range is even possible with their specifications.
Plus, you gotta love the stolen Porsche factory photos in their brochures... always classy. [-X #-o
Carey Hines
Special Edition, Inc.
www.beckspeedster.com
WasserSpyder
Moderator-Contributing Vendor
Moderator-Contributing Vendor

Postby WILL » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:24 am

I do like The Color Though :)
Seems to Me Carey Hines finished one of their Speedsters in a Green I liked as well! Sorry About the drift :D
WILL
WILL
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Re: Electric Porsches

Postby RickJ » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:42 am

I have very mixed feelings about this combination - I'm driving an electric car right now (my daily commuter is a Nissan Leaf) - and the idea of putting together the high torque (max torque available at any rpm/speed range), quiet (no ear plugs!), and simple operation (no carburetors to adjust, etc.) with the Spyder's unique good looks is kind of intriguing - not sure I'd like the 'range' issue though (the Leaf has a reliable 65 mile range this time of year with low morning temperature, and some high speed highway driving, both of which sap the batteries heavily)........the Tesla Roadster has a pretty high pricetag (new = $100k +, used $80k+) but has managed a claimed range of 300 miles (maybe realistic 200 miles with normal highway speed heavy foot issues?) and seems to be a good working combination of a lightweight (Lotus) design with mods to accomodate the batteries and extra weight - ....RickJ
RickJ
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Return to Vendor Discussions