martin & walker

Vendor Advisories, Kudos, recommendations, etc.

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

martin & walker

Postby rholt » Tue May 24, 2011 8:36 pm

Hello everyone,
I'm based in the UK and new to the forum. I'm planning to build a 550 Spyder and to use the Martin & Walker Technic 550 kit as a base. Trouble is, I can't contact them! Their website is still up and running but I can't get any reply from phone calls or emails. Has anyone contacted them recently? Any help with alternative numbers etc. will be appreciated.
Best regards,
Richard
rholt
Starting Member
Starting Member

Postby stephenriley » Tue May 24, 2011 9:22 pm

Hi there Richard. Keep trying! Barrie (Martin) can be difficult to contact; I guess he is working, but you should catch him eventually. He does frequent the DDK classic Porsche forum so you could try there.
Stephen
stephenriley
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby rholt » Wed May 25, 2011 8:15 pm

Hello Stephen, Thanks for the tip, I spoke to Barrie yesterday and arranged to go and see him to (hopefully) get things started. Is there a UK branch of the club?
Richard
rholt
Starting Member
Starting Member

Postby stephenriley » Wed May 25, 2011 9:42 pm

http://www.speedstersandspyders.org.uk/ Not sure I should be posting that here! Stephen
PS whereabouts are you based?
stephenriley
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby rholt » Fri May 27, 2011 9:12 am

Stephen,
Thanks for the link. I'm in Kent.
Cheers,
Richard
rholt
Starting Member
Starting Member

martin & walker

Postby bathspyder » Sun May 29, 2011 11:20 pm

There are a number of us in the UK. Most notably, near you is Paul Foreman. He has built a number of Spyders.

I am in Bath, Richard Lamin is in Rutland and there are other Spyder owners about, not necessarily on this site.

Ron
bathspyder

Postby rholt » Mon May 30, 2011 2:07 am

Hello Ron,
Thanks for the information. I'd certainly be interested in getting in touch with Paul Foreman. Although I've built 2 kit cars in the past and owned a number of Porsche's, it's always good to talk to someone who's gone this route before. Would you be willing to pass on his contact details? If not (wouldn't blame you as you don't know me!) maybe you could ask him if he would contact me. My email address is mossbank11@blueyonder.co.uk.
Would also be very interested in your experiences - did you build your car from scratch and what engine/transmission do you use?
Thanks and best regards,
Richard
rholt
Starting Member
Starting Member

Martin & Walker

Postby bathspyder » Tue May 31, 2011 12:03 am

Hi Richard,

Paul is on this website so you can look him up on the members list and contact him direct. His most recent posts have been on \"Project monaco.\"

My car is a Martin and Walker and was the first car that Paul built and I am the third owner. It has the beam front end rather than the current wishbones and the engine is a tuned1776cc Type 1, built by Microgiant and more recently rebuilt and fettled by GAC (the formula Vee builders.)

I hope this helps,

Ron
bathspyder

Re: martin & walker

Postby Anta » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:49 pm

Hi all....after a long wait/ search I finally found my Spyder. I get it on Saturday...can't wait. I am based in Sutton Coldfield.

It is a M&W with a 914 engine. It needs some work but I am like a kid at Christmas. Lots of photos and info to follow.
Martin & Walker 550 Spyder
Anta
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Richard Lamin » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:05 am

Welcome Anta. Look forward to seeing a few pics and hearing more about it. There are a few M&W owners on here if you need any advice.
Anything else is just transport .....
Richard Lamin
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Anta » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:15 pm

Thanks Richard. I spoke with you at Stoneleigh a few years back when I was first looking but jobs and other matters got in the way. It was your car up close that got me hooked.

I am a member of the S&S club so hope to get to a few shows too.

My first job will be to sort the shift which predictably is a bit grim being std. I read with interest the thread on the Brandwood shifter and assuming some adjustment of the stock system does not work I think I will go that route.

One thing I am sure you will know straight off. There are some nice (but not for me) alloys on the car I want to ditch for steelies. In the future I plan to go wide 5 but for now will be looking to just source some used rims I can paint and fit the the std M&W brake setup. What rim width, diameter & tyre size did you settle on or would reccomend? At this stage I don't want to mess with clearance issues.....many thanks in advance....photo to follow.
Anta
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Richard Lamin » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:39 am

That's good to hear, thanks.

I went with 5.5" x 15" wide 5 wheels with 195/60 15 all round. I've had very slight rubbing issues on the left side tyres but it's sorted now. Some go with 4.5" wheels with 185/65 x 15 tyres. You could try Midland wheels for cheap Mangel copies: http://www.midlandwheels.com/Shop/C-1050-0/E-Style.html

Re the shift linkage, for an easier swop, look into the Jamar linkage. Paul Foreman has just fitted one on John Litherland's 914 Spyder and he seems very pleased with it. http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=703
Richard Lamin
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby stephenriley » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:45 am

I use 185/65 x 15s with no rubbing issues. wheels are the same as Richards, They are Mangels wide 5s' I got them from Machine 7 who were very helpful.
stephenriley
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Anta » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:18 pm

Thanks guys.

Got the car today. Have done about 20 miles. Caused two traffic jams with a box of neutrals!!! Plus one alarmed lady as I found reverse.

Actually I can get reverse every time. 2nd, 3rd and 4th kind of OK but not great. 1 & 5 have not been troubled yet.

Love the car. If I can get the shifter sorted the rest can wait. I would like to take a look at others pedal setups, and seats, somehow I need to get some more space if I am going to attempt a Richard style Alps trip!!
Anta
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Richard Lamin » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:40 am

Hope you get it sorted. Are you sure you have a 5th gear?

Where in the uk do you live?
Richard Lamin
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Next

Return to Vendor Discussions